Marvel Studios' 'The Eternals' Trailer and Information Thread (Update: Final Trailer!)

Pikachu

curious to see what some of yall think of it. idk if i want to go see it in theatres. 

seems like it was a more ambitious movie for marvel but it would have been better if chloe zhao could have made this movie without any MCU restraints and really made it her own.

After the pleasant surprise that was Shang Chi, Eternals reminded me of why I'm pretty much over the MCU as a viewer. I don't think it is Zhao is the issue either. The big problem for me is the script involves a lot of standing around trying to get the audience up to speed on these people and this corner of the universe. One of the things I continue to appreciate about GOTG is how little time volume 1 spends setting the table for this expansion of the film universe. Eternals would have been greatly helped by...not caring about that. Just tell a good story and have the connective tissue there for linking it in to the greater storyline and it would work a billion times better.

But I think I'm also just generally over the shared universe thing. It was really exciting in the early days of the MCU because nothing had been done on that scale, but I really feel like Marvel is holding back their own films because of the need for each entry to serve the larger narrative. I wouldn't mind it one bit if they had some self contained stories for some of their films in the future.

6 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

After the pleasant surprise that was Shang Chi, Eternals reminded me of why I'm pretty much over the MCU as a viewer. I don't think it is Zhao is the issue either. The big problem for me is the script involves a lot of standing around trying to get the audience up to speed on these people and this corner of the universe. One of the things I continue to appreciate about GOTG is how little time volume 1 spends setting the table for this expansion of the film universe. Eternals would have been greatly helped by...not caring about that. Just tell a good story and have the connective tissue there for linking it in to the greater storyline and it would work a billion times better.

But I think I'm also just generally over the shared universe thing. It was really exciting in the early days of the MCU because nothing had been done on that scale, but I really feel like Marvel is holding back their own films because of the need for each entry to serve the larger narrative. I wouldn't mind it one bit if they had some self contained stories for some of their films in the future.

Without having seen this specifically, I think that's a fair observation. I like the notion of the shared universe but at some point they need to abandon trying to track where everyone is at all times. It's not necessary, it doesn't really make any sense when it's explained, and attempts to lampshade it never cover up everything. GotG2 is a perfect example of this, Ego is gunking up a good portion of the universe, including earth, and it's never mentioned again and the aftermath isn't even acknowledged anywhere.

I know people whose first MCU movies were either Infinity War or Endgame. They got it enough to enjoy those movies, it's all fine.

1 hour ago, sblfilms said:

indeed it was and in a way continues to be cool, bringing everyone together for War/Endgame was cool, but it's also a burden if you going to constantly have people asking in the next Captain American 'why doesn't the Hulk, Thor, Batman, the X Men, or Fonzie show up to help? I never thought about the crap back in the days when I was reading a couple dozen different comics. Each book had it's own storylines and sure all the characters eventually they came together for a special crossovers but I wasn't constantly wondering why the FF4 weren't constantly helping Spidey out all the time. I am sure most movie goers won't either. Sure bring the characters together every so often for a crazy spectacular but otherwise just give me a good story. 

Just left the theater and I was actually surprised by how "un-marvel" this movie actually was in a good way. I wasn't the biggest fan of Nomadland but Chloe Zhao did a really good job with this. I'm still processing but I kinda wish THIS would have been a series on Disney+ rather than a movie. This is pretty heady sci-fi stuff for a super hero movie and I actually gave a shit about the plot for once. There's two post credit scenes so stick around for both as they

Spoiler

Introduce FOUR new characters into the Marvel Cinematic Universe including Mahershala Ali's Blade in voice only.

So glad I didn't have that spoiled for me. Fuckin IGN spoiled one of the post credit scenes in one of their headline titles... I HATE when websites do that.

I liked how they flipped some of the characters and how they were self aware with some comparisons to other superheroes lol. Great movie and I hope it does well, especially since I bought a graded copy of Eternals number 1 on ebay recently.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Just left the theater and I was actually by how "un-marvel" this movie actually was in a good way. I wasn't the biggest fan of Nomadland but Chloe Zhao did a really good job with this. I'm still processing but I kinda wish THIS would have been a series on Disney+ rather than a movie. This is pretty heady sci-fi stuff for a super hero movie and I actually gave a shit about the plot for once. There's two post credit scenes so stick around for both as they

Reveal hidden contents

So glad I didn't have that spoiled for me. Fuckin IGN spoiled one of the post credit scenes in one of their headline titles... I HATE when websites do that.

I liked how they flipped some of the characters and how they were self aware with some comparisons to other superheroes lol. Great movie and I hope it does well, especially since I bought a graded copy of Eternals number 1 on ebay recently.

Ok now ill def watch 

15 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Just left the theater and I was actually surprised by how "un-marvel" this movie actually was in a good way. I wasn't the biggest fan of Nomadland but Chloe Zhao did a really good job with this. I'm still processing but I kinda wish THIS would have been a series on Disney+ rather than a movie. This is pretty heady sci-fi stuff for a super hero movie and I actually gave a shit about the plot for once. There's two post credit scenes so stick around for both as they

Hide contents

Introduce FOUR new characters into the Marvel Cinematic Universe including Mahershala Ali's Blade in voice only.

I liked it a lot too! The first few minutes had me a bit worried NGL, but it got really good and I was impressed how much I liked all the characters.

SLH-26444_R-H-2021.jpg?w=1024
WWW.HOLLYWOODREPORTER.COM

Like Zack Snyder before her, Chloé Zhao deconstructs her superheroes and forces them to question their purpose in the world, through meditative and melancholy narrative beats.

So interesting to me that people claim that Marvel's films "Are too similar" and people want them to shake things up and when they DO, the critics rip the movie apart. I'm truly baffled by some of the reviews I've seen of this movie because personally I think it IS one of Marvel's best movies to date.

4 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:
SLH-26444_R-H-2021.jpg?w=1024
WWW.HOLLYWOODREPORTER.COM

Like Zack Snyder before her, Chloé Zhao deconstructs her superheroes and forces them to question their purpose in the world, through meditative and melancholy narrative beats.

So interesting to me that people claim that Marvel's films "Are too similar" and people want them to shake things up and when they DO, the critics rip the movie apart. I'm truly baffled by some of the reviews I've seen of this movie because personally I think it IS one of Marvel's best movies to date.

shaking things up is great but that doesn’t mean people will think it’s good 

5 minutes ago, johnny said:

shaking things up is great but that doesn’t mean people will think it’s good 

Sure but some people don't seem to like this because  they shook things up and it's not a "traditional" Marvel movie... which is the point of the article. He also lays out how the comic original comic was devisive in the same way when it came out because it wasn't a traditional Marvel comic in a lot of ways. This will be one of those movies that will be better recieved by the public than critics (as evidenced by the RT audience score) 

Again, I really don't get some of the critc reviews but oh well... I never pay much attention to them anyway.

11 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Sure but some people don't seem to like this because  they shook things up and it's not a "traditional" Marvel movie... which is the point of the article. He also lays out how the comic original comic was devisive in the same way when it came out because it wasn't a traditional Marvel comic in a lot of ways. This will be one of those movies that will be better recieved by the public than critics (as evidenced by the RT audience score) 

Again, I really don't get some of the critc reviews but oh well... I never pay much attention to them anyway.

I haven’t seen it yet so when I do who knows i might agree more with you, but i do wonder how much of the explaining why the score is low is because people love/want to protect the MCU. People legitimately get so upset when a critic (or random youtuber) doesn’t like their superhero movies.

From what i’ve read it seems like the movie has some issues. But critics aren’t writing laws saying you can’t enjoy a movie. Horror is my favorite genre and critics trash a ton of those movies. 

14 minutes ago, johnny said:

I haven’t seen it yet so when I do who knows i might agree more with you, but i do wonder how much of the explaining why the score is low is because people love/want to protect the MCU. People legitimately get so upset when a critic (or random youtuber) doesn’t like their superhero movies.

From what i’ve read it seems like the movie has some issues. But critics aren’t writing laws saying you can’t enjoy a movie. Horror is my favorite genre and critics trash a ton of those movies. 

Yeah i really don't care what critics think as most people around here know. I'm confused at why this particular Marvel movie is getting such low scores from critics when there are other Marvel movies that weren't as well directed, well acted and as well shot as this one was to me and the only thing I can think of is that it strays a little TOO much from the established Marvel formula for some critics tastes. Like they came in expecting light hearted banter ala Thor, Antman, Guardians and got something a little more serious and leaning more into mythology and hard sci-fi. Like I think folks WANT the Marvel formula that they claim they're tired of and when they don't get it they lash out. I can't speak for others but I don't need to defend the Marvel movies and in fact I wasn't expecting to like this movie as much as I did because I wasn't a fan of Nomadland which I thought was incredibly overrated. I'd be real curious to get some opinions from others who've actually seen the movie because I just don't get some of the criticisms I've seen which I won't get into because they involve some spoilers.

Saw this over the weekend, and I liked it! It’s absolutely too long and I think the complaints about the dialog and character development are fair. I don’t know how you can avoid those speed bumps when you’re introducing whole new concepts and factions, but they’re valid criticisms.

Honestly I think the biggest issue is twofold… there are some things they bother to spend a lot of time explaining that I don’t think they need to (where were you during Thanos, how come you didn’t stop wars, etc.) combined with the fact that some of these concepts demand lengthy explanations because you can’t really NOT explain them unless you want the movie to make no sense.

Specifically and spoilery…

Spoiler

Everything about what Sersi does, Arishem, and the ending have to be talked through because you can’t just SHOW that stuff, you have to tell. It’s a lot. Even with all the chatter about Unimind, I don’t know that it worked the way it was described that it would? I didn’t think Ikaris and Sprite had the bracelets that Phastos said they’d need; I may be remembering that wrong. 

Also I feel a little weird that…

Spoiler

The first black, openly gay superhero in the MCU is responsible for the atom bomb. I don’t think that’s added anything to the movie, especially since at that moment he said he’s done with humanity and then the next time we see him he’s with his husband and son.

This is not an nitpick, just something about the ending I found funny along with some other observations…

Spoiler

Icaris is clearly not as fast as Makkari, who is clearly not as fast as light. But when Ikaris flew from the earth to the sun, it took him like 30 seconds on screen and light takes 8 minutes to get to earth from the sun, meaning Icaris can fly SEVERAL TIMES FASTER than the speed of light. :p If we assume Ikaris can fly at Mach 1, it would take him about 19 years to fly into the sun, and the movie is already too long, I get it. :p

The theater I was in laughed anytime one of the Game of Thrones actors said “Cersei”

I wonder when this Phase’s big bad is going to come up. We’ve got Kang and Celestials in the mix at this point and given what both of them are working with, literally every good guy fighting together seems pretty wildly outclassed. Then again Peter Quill dunked on a Celestial borderline solo at the end there, so… who knows.

There’s no way anyone would know that was a Blade voice cameo unless they’re deep into casting announcements. It’s wild that we’ve moved on from a Mjolnir reveal to fucking Black Knight teasers, Jesus Christ. :lol:

As another reminder that people who show up on opening weekend aren’t as invested in this as we are, people FREAKED OUT when Harry Styles showed up, and when they said Starfox everyone laughed and someone shouted DO A BARREL ROLL :lol: which 3 people in the audience understood

All that aside, I think it’s a pretty fun movie. The characters dedicated to comic relief feel more natural than EVERYONE quipping in some of the other flicks. And the characters seem to genuinely care about one another and people which I also like… for as much as I like the MCU approach compared to what we’d seen in the Snyderverse, we don’t always see the superheroes (in the movies at any rate) interact with people who are outside their immediate conflicts. I like that. And as I said about Shang-Chi, if a slightly long / verbose / whatever movie is the price to pay for making the MCU a little less white and a little more queer, I’m fine with it.

I just got off the phone with my nieces who saw it and when I told then that it was a long movie that didn't feel long, they didn't believe me when I said it was 2 and a half hours. The length didn't bother me at all.

@Kal-El814

Spoiler

I don't think Phastos was DIRECTLY responsible for the atom bomb. He felt responsible because he helped humans advance their technology which ultimately gave them the power to create the atom bomb. Basically the movie sets up that he was responsible for most of the technological advancments that humans made along the way and he was warned I think by Druig what they would eventually do with it.

Eternals is definitely more split with moviegoers:

618930bc23745d0018256ed4?width=1200&form
WWW.BUSINESSINSIDER.COM

Marvel's "Eternals" received a B grade from CinemaScore, which surveys audiences on a movie's opening night.

Honestly, this could just be specific to Eternals, so I'm not reading into it too much yet. But I share @sblfilms' opinion of being over the MCU because... I have zilch interest in this. To be fair, I was never as into Marvel as the board was, especially around Avengers which I thought was good popcorn but nothing memorable. But I'm finally, actually feeling superhero fatigue. No new IPs, just superhero after superhero after superhero. I don't have any motivation to devote hours to catch up on MCU I missed.

There are some exceptions, like No Way Home, because it's a melding multi-verse that hasn't really been done far as I know, and stuff like Into The Spider-Verse felt fresh and funny. But overall, a Marvel movie has to scratch a very specific itch for me to raise any interest for me.

The fact my midsection was hurting from having to pee so bad for the last hour of the movie made it seem even longer than it already was.  And even with that length, it had to take a lot of shortcuts with expositions to catch us up.  

What I liked the most was the individuality of the Eternal characters.  Not all of them were fleshed out, but enough were and it was good to see their motivations and rationals.

What I didn't like the most was their justification for saving humanity.  I don't feel like the movie did enough to convince us, from the POV of the characters, that Earth was worth saving, particularly with scenes like the spoiler:

On 11/8/2021 at 8:08 PM, skillzdadirecta said:

I just got off the phone with my nieces who saw it and when I told then that it was a long movie that didn't feel long, they didn't believe me when I said it was 2 and a half hours. The length didn't bother me at all.

@Kal-El814

Hide contents

I don't think Phastos was DIRECTLY responsible for the atom bomb. He felt responsible because he helped humans advance their technology which ultimately gave them the power to create the atom bomb. Basically the movie sets up that he was responsible for most of the technological advancments that humans made along the way and he was warned I think by Druig what they would eventually do with it.

7 minutes ago, cusideabelincoln said:

The fact my midsection was hurting from having to pee so bad for the last hour of the movie made it seem even longer than it already was.  And even with that length, it had to take a lot of shortcuts with expositions to catch us up.  

What I liked the most was the individuality of the Eternal characters.  Not all of them were fleshed out, but enough were and it was good to see their motivations and rationals.

What I didn't like the most was their justification for saving humanity.  I don't feel like the movie did enough to convince us, from the POV of the characters, that Earth was worth saving, particularly with scenes like the spoiler:

I actually agree with this and it was one nitpick I had with the movie. There wasn't enough of "seeing humans at their best" to justify that turn in the Eternals and they could have done that by showing us what characters like Ajax and Phastos loved so much about humans. It's one of the reason why I said that I almost wish THIS was a Disney plus series and not a movie because I definitely feel like they could have gone more in depth with some of the shortcuts they had to take. 

I thought it was all right. I agree with sentiment that this would have felt better as. Disney+ series, giving things more time to breathe and be developed. 

Heavy spoilers

Not a fan of the whole using planets to gestate celestials, who will then create new galaxies. Once it started getting into that and I realized the Eternals and possibly the rest of the MCU will have to fight or oppose beings that seem to be beyond the worry and capabilities of even the Infinity Stones. It just seems like too much. The phrase “dealing with forces you can’t possibly comprehend” came to my mind during the exposition dump to explain the plot to Cersi 

I loved the visuals of the ancient civilizations. And here is where the movie felt like it needed more time. Time to show the character’s personalities form, and be defined. So the tensions between the group get worse as idiomatically divides widen. 

Ikaris having his ‘turn’ just felt like “sure, why not. Everyone else is doing Badguy Superman right now” and felt really underwhelming. I appreciated the nuance in his position, but these days it almost would have been a bigger shock if he was the only Eternal that wasn’t willing let the Earth be destroyed.

and then the credit scenes. I had to Google both of them because of how obscure they were. And it worries me that Marvel may be looking to retcon Thanos’s motivations for snapping half the Galaxy away to be a way of delay the emergence of hundreds of celsetials, buying worlds and civilizations more time.

On 11/8/2021 at 8:24 AM, Kal-El814 said:

Saw this over the weekend, and I liked it! It’s absolutely too long and I think the complaints about the dialog and character development are fair. I don’t know how you can avoid those speed bumps when you’re introducing whole new concepts and factions, but they’re valid criticisms.

Honestly I think the biggest issue is twofold… there are some things they bother to spend a lot of time explaining that I don’t think they need to (where were you during Thanos, how come you didn’t stop wars, etc.) combined with the fact that some of these concepts demand lengthy explanations because you can’t really NOT explain them unless you want the movie to make no sense.

Specifically and spoilery…

Reveal hidden contents

Also I feel a little weird that…

Reveal hidden contents

This is not an nitpick, just something about the ending I found funny along with some other observations…

Reveal hidden contents

All that aside, I think it’s a pretty fun movie. The characters dedicated to comic relief feel more natural than EVERYONE quipping in some of the other flicks. And the characters seem to genuinely care about one another and people which I also like… for as much as I like the MCU approach compared to what we’d seen in the Snyderverse, we don’t always see the superheroes (in the movies at any rate) interact with people who are outside their immediate conflicts. I like that. And as I said about Shang-Chi, if a slightly long / verbose / whatever movie is the price to pay for making the MCU a little less white and a little more queer, I’m fine with it.

maybe I misread the scene, but I didn’t get the impression that he created the atom bomb or was directed related to its invention. I got the sense that he blames himself for setting humanity on a path that over hundreds and thousands of years lead to humanity creating it. Like he thought us how to make fire and when left unchecked we created ways to burned entire countries to the ground. I got the feeling he blamed himself for knocking over the first domino. 

but I could be wrong.

1 hour ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

Reveal hidden contents

maybe I misread the scene, but I didn’t get the impression that he created the atom bomb or was directed related to its invention. I got the sense that he blames himself for setting humanity on a path that over hundreds and thousands of years lead to humanity creating it. Like he thought us how to make fire and when left unchecked we created ways to burned entire countries to the ground. I got the feeling he blamed himself for knocking over the first domino. 

but I could be wrong.

Spoiler

Yeah I think this is part of where the movie spins its wheels a bit, since it’s not clear if he’s being specific or general and he’s done a 180 by the time we see him next.

42 minutes ago, johnny said:

I read that scene the same way @Spawn_of_Apathy did

Yeah so did I.

Also regarding Thanos @Spawn_of_Apathy

Spoiler

I don't think they were saying that Thanos did what he did to delay the Celestials deliberately... I think they were saying that what he did delayed things inadvertantly.  Also in the comics, the Celestials motivations are a little different but they always been portrayed as pretty much beyond comprehension. However they were NOT beyond the Infinity Stones... Thanos trashed them when he had the full Infinity Gauntlet along with Galactus, The Stranger and a bunch of other cosmic beings. In th comics the only power beyond the assembled infinity stones is The Beyonder and his race and I'm SURE we'll se them in the MCU at some point.

44 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Yeah so did I.

Also regarding Thanos @Spawn_of_Apathy

Hide contents

I don't think they were saying that Thanos did what he did to delay the Celestials deliberately... I think they were saying that what he did delayed things inadvertantly.  Also in the comics, the Celestials motivations are a little different but they always been portrayed as pretty much beyond comprehension. However they were NOT beyond the Infinity Stones... Thanos trashed them when he had the full Infinity Gauntlet along with Galactus, The Stranger and a bunch of other cosmic beings. In th comics the only power beyond the assembled infinity stones is The Beyonder and his race and I'm SURE we'll se them in the MCU at some point.

no what I meant was I was worried they were going to retcon it because of the reveal that Thanos was an Eternal. We find this out thanks to the introduction of his brother in the mid credit sequence. I hope they don’t retcon his motivations, but the revelation of him being an Eternal would mean he should know of the plan to birth Celestials resulting in exploding highly populated planets. Saying it is about resources is a more easily explainable reason than to stop entire civilizations being destroyed to give birth beings powerful enough to create galaxies, and likely destroy them if they wanted. 

I didn’t think they were retconning him at all until the credit scene.

@Spawn_of_Apathy

Spoiler

Thanos wouldn't know of the plan to birth the Celstials because only the Prime Eternal knew. Eternals memories are wiped after each cycle. Also Thanos is a Titan Eternal (he was in the books as well) Not sure what their role is in the MCU, but they are a little different than Earth Eternals. 

Hopefully it will make sense and they'll tie it all together.

I fucking loved this movie. This is the MCU version of Watchmen. It's sprawling and ambitious. The moral questions it raises has been giving me stuff to think about for days. I appreciated that that the antagonist wasn't an actual villain. Everyone has motivation that feels honest. The climax is large in scale but the action didn't feel overblown in the way Marvel movies typically do. It's much more of an emotional climax.

Spoiler

I really dug these characters so it was very hard to see them fight each other. In other Marvel movies you want to see them fight because it's cool. But in here seeing them fight was heartbreaking.

I understand the criticisms. There are a lot of characters and not all of them had the space to be fleshed out fully. I didn't mind all of the backstory because I just love alternate history stuff, and all of it here was pulled off super well. Not any of it felt cheap to me. It won't be fore everyone - it is SUPER comic booky and very out there. Scenes I loved may seem silly to some critics.

In years once people are able to watch it at their own pace the movie will become re-evaluated. It's best to view it outside of standard Marvel expectations because this isn't a standard Marvel movie. Change a few lines and removed the end credit scenes this would easily feel like it's own self-contained film. It doesn't even feature the quippy and self-aware "Marvel humor".