Marvel Studios' 'The Eternals' Trailer and Information Thread (Update: Final Trailer!)

Pikachu

• Pikachu changed the title to Marvel Studios' 'The Eternals' Trailer and Information Thread (Update: Final Trailer!)

I'm pulled by my kids to Superhero movies these days... but they aren't really interested in this.  They don't have any idea who these people are - and outside of the reference to captain America in the trailer they don't really get any of the connection.  We will probably watch it on disney+ eventually.

• Guillotine 1

The Eternals are kind of weird which I like, and this looks good and the cast is solid. Hopefully this comes out well. I do like that Marvel is leading Phase 4 with Black Widow, Shang-Chi, and The Eternals; they’ve got some catch up to do with representation and these feel like steps in the right direction.

2 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

but Mulan and Birds of Prey should have been better given their female directors so who knows.

I have to say I was surprised by how much of I enjoyed Mulan. I was a huge fan of the animated version and while I was glad they weren't doing a shot for shot remake like say Lion King or Beauty and the Beast, I wasn't sure what to expect. It's definitely my favorite of the animated to live versions.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

This just isn't doing it for me. The movie might be great, but...

• Hate the aesthetics of their uniforms and powers (the former being way too similar and boring and generic)
  • Too many characters introduced at once
  • No relevance to existing storylines, and outright brings up questions about where they were, etc

I know some of that will be answered/dealt with...but of all the Marvel movies yet, this one seems the most generic and not worth seeing.

41 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

They answer this in the trailer. :p

Oh I'm aware! But it's a dumb excuse. Next they'll have the X-Men come out and Prof X will say "I feel bad, but we had to keep the school in hiding, to protect the children from the public's eye."

At this point, they should just fully lean in to either bringing in new "established" heroes from the multiverse, or have some other (legit) reason they were not present (trapped in hibernation, etc). Not just "yes we witnessed everything and could have stopped it, but the prime directive prevented us..."

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/11/2021 at 3:54 PM, CitizenVectron said:

This just isn't doing it for me. The movie might be great, but...

• Hate the aesthetics of their uniforms and powers (the former being way too similar and boring and generic)
  • Too many characters introduced at once
  • No relevance to existing storylines, and outright brings up questions about where they were, etc

I know some of that will be answered/dealt with...but of all the Marvel movies yet, this one seems the most generic and not worth seeing.

Reviews are starting to come in and this seems like the biggest complaints people have. Too many characters, too bloated, and I trying to do so much it led to too much exposition.

RT_TwitterCard_2018.jpg
WWW.ROTTENTOMATOES.COM

Marvel Studios' Eternals features an exciting new team of Super Heroes in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, ancient aliens who have been living on Earth in secret for thousands of years. Following the events...

I only caught Shang Chi a week when the theaters were more empty, so I'll likely do the same here...assuming I can. It's hard to keep my wife away from anything with Angelina Jolie in it.

On 10/11/2021 at 1:53 PM, CitizenVectron said:

Oh I'm aware! But it's a dumb excuse. Next they'll have the X-Men come out and Prof X will say "I feel bad, but we had to keep the school in hiding, to protect the children from the public's eye."

At this point, they should just fully lean in to either bringing in new "established" heroes from the multiverse, or have some other (legit) reason they were not present (trapped in hibernation, etc). Not just "yes we witnessed everything and could have stopped it, but the prime directive prevented us..."

Maybe we should see the movie first before we prejudge it? I'm curious to see how they justify the Eternals not getting involved with Thanos too

Spoiler

particularly since in the comics Thanos IS an Eternal who also has the Deviant gene although this may have been retconned

but I'm not gonna judge it before I've even seen the movie. The constant naysaying and leaning towards negativity on the internet gets tired as hell especially when the same folks who do it, don't backtrack after a movie comes out and is well receieved or even good. For the last 10 years or so I;ve been seeing this hatred towards superhero movies and with each one that comes out there's always some clever insightful internet progonisticator predicting that THIS will be the movie that ends the "trend". A trend that's been going on for what, 20 or 30 years at this point? Let's just watch the movies and asses them AFTER we've seen them.

I love the Eternals and am looking forward to the film, but I wasn't impressed with Nomadland ONE BIT and one of the reviews I skimmed confirmed my fears about how this movie could have turned out under Chloe Zhao's direction. I thought Nomadland was about as interesting as watching paint dry and was really a documentary masquerading as a movie but that's me. I'm willing to give her and this movie a shot before I prejudge it.

5 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

That was actually a direct quote from a review I saw of the movie. I'm still keeping an open mind... I'm just not as big on Chloe Zhao based on Nomadland as other have been. I'm looking forward to the movie as I stated above.

If you didn’t like Nomadland, I’m not sure it would change your mind on Zhao, but have you seen The Rider? That one really worked on me.