Marvel Studios' 'The Eternals' Trailer and Information Thread (Update: Final Trailer!)

Pikachu

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/chloe-zhao-direct-marvel-studios-eternals-1143547

Chloe Zhao has nabbed the gig to direct Marvel’s next potential franchise, the Jack Kirby-created title The Eternals.

Matthew and Ryan Firpo, whose spec script Ruin topped the 2017 Black List, penned the script for the superhero team adventure.

The project features the super-powered and near-immortal beings known as Eternals and a more monstrous off-shoot known as the Deviants that were created by cosmic beings known as Celestials.

Kirby created the title in 1976 during his cosmic hero stage and was influenced by such works as Chariots of the Gods, which explored ancient gods as aliens.

Sources tell The Hollywood Reporter that one aspect to the story involves the love story between Ikaris, a man fueled by cosmic energy, and Sersi, who relishes moving amongst humans.

The project also allows Marvel to assemble a diverse cast of various shapes and sizes.

1 hour ago, Brick said:

I don't know who that is, nor do I know what The Eternals are. 

The Eternals are Jack Kirby's Marvel version of the New Gods...  In the Marvel U, thousands of years ago the Celestials (A race of giant space aliens not unlike the Engineers in Aliens movies) experimented on ancient humans and the result was two races, The God-like Eternals and The Deviants. The Eternals lived in secret in the Marvel Universe and were often mistaken by ancient men as members of other pantheons in the Marvel U particularly the Olympians. The in fact went to war with the Gods of Olympus. Thanos is technically an Eternal and other notable Eternals include Ikaris, Sersi (who was an Avenger) and Makkari :nerd:

On 9/21/2018 at 6:09 PM, skillzdadirecta said:

The Eternals are Jack Kirby's Marvel version of the New Gods...  In the Marvel U, thousands of years ago the Celestials (A race of giant space aliens not unlike the Engineers in Aliens movies) experimented on ancient humans and the result was two races, The God-like Eternals and The Deviants. The Eternals lived in secret in the Marvel Universe and were often mistaken by ancient men as members of other pantheons in the Marvel U particularly the Olympians. The in fact went to war with the Gods of Olympus. Thanos is technically an Eternal and other notable Eternals include Ikaris, Sersi (who was an Avenger) and Makkari :nerd:

Was Nowhere one of the Celestials and did any of those survive? I wasn't sure if Galactus was one?

1 minute ago, Remarkableriots said:

Was Nowhere one of the Celestials and did any of those survive? I wasn't sure if Galactus was one?

Nowhere is the Head of a dead Celestial, yes. In The Marvel Cinematic Universe, they SHOULD still be alive. I think they were referenced in one of The Guardians movies. Galactus is NOT a Celestial in the comics... he's the last survivor from the Universe that existed before The Big Bang. Surviving The Big Bang changed him into World Devourer.

• 1 month later...

https://screenrant.com/eternals-movie-mcu-casting-breakdown-character-lineup/

That Hashtag Show revealed the character breakdowns for The Eternals, and shows the massive cast of characters that Marvel plans to include and introduce. There are twelve characters listed in the breakdowns that would each appear to play sizable roles in the movie. These characters are Karen, Druig, Piper, Elysisus, Forgotten One, Ikaris, Makkari, Sersi, Starfox, Thena, Zuras, and an unnamed "Greek God" character. All of the roles appear to be open to any and all ethnicities.

8 hours ago, Remarkableriots said:

Unnamed "Greek God" character? My bet is Hercules... Marvel looking to replace Thor? Also Herc has history with The Eternals as The Forgotten One has been confused for him often. In the comics, he completed five of Herc's 12 labors.

• 5 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Kumail Nanjani says The Eternals is not like other Marvel movies

It’s work, yes, but it’s also a fantasy come to life for this hardcore sci-fi/superhero fan. Now that Nanjiani has been on the inside of the one of 2020’s most high-profile (and most mysterious) superhero movies, what surprised him the most? “My super-suit is very, very comfortable actually, even though it’s very elaborate,” he notes. “But the other thing is, making this massive movie in many important ways still feels like you’re making an independent movie, in the sense that it really feels like a family and it feels like it’s really about characters and relationships and very small moments. So while you have certain scenes where you’re hanging up on a wire fighting bad guys and you have all these superpowers, the rest of it does feel like you’re making something really small. The people who are making it are very very passionate about it and the conversations you have are the [same] conversations when you create anything: ‘Does this make sense? Should we do this?’ Chloe [Zhao], our director, and Nate [Moore], our producer, and Kevin [Feige, Marvel Studios president] — they’ve been just so open to everything and so passionate. I mean, they’ve made 25 of these movies and it still feels like they’re living their dreams every day, which is certainly what I’ve been doing for the last six months.”

What sets apart The Eternals — which is based on Jack Kirby’s trippy comic series — from previous Marvel action-adventures? “It’s really, really an epic,” Nanjiani says. “And it’s really such a science-fiction story. It’s a superhero story, but in some ways, it’s the most sci-fi of all the Marvel movies and it’s the most epic of all the Marvel movies. And the story spans thousands of years. So it’s really not like any of the other Marvel movies.”

And it’s one that seemed almost custom-tailored to his specific tastes. “I love superhero movies, but beyond that, this is exactly the type of movie that I love,” he testifies. “If someone would say, ‘All right, what kind of movie do you want to watch? What are the things that’s going to have?’ I would say all these things. And that’s what this movie is. It really spans thousands and thousands of years. And the story is just so big and so epic. And I don’t mean epic in the internet way, I mean epic in the old-school way…It doesn’t look like any of the other Marvel movies. I was on set shooting, and the director showed me just a still of all of us together in the scene. And I was like, ‘I mean, look at all of us together.’ We all look so different. It’s me and a huge buff guy from Korea [Ma Dong-seok] and Salma Hayek and Angelina Jolie and Gemma Chan and Lauren Ridloff. You don’t ever get to see people like this together in the same room, let alone in awesome superhero costumes.”

I’ll believe that when I actually see that. Guardians 1 and 2 are the most unique marvel movies and I don’t think they’re that unique (but 1 and 2 are my favorites). Black Widow looks super generic marvel so hopefully the eternals can feel a bit different. I’m all for it if what he says is true. 

• Guillotine 1

• 1 year later...
  • Pikachu changed the title to Marvel Studios' 'The Eternals' Trailer and Information Thread (Update: Teaser Trailer!)
35 minutes ago, thewhyteboar said:

I've no idea what the Eternals are, and I'm kinda over Marvel movies at this point, but Ma Dong-seok is amazing so I'll see it for him.

Here's a decent write up if you are interested: 

eternals-slice.jpg
COLLIDER.COM

If you haven't heard of Marvel's 'Eternals' before the MCU Phase Four news, you're not alone. We break down the characters as a primer for you here.

Don't give up on Marvel yet! Phase 4 is shaping up to be to be really wild and interesting.

52 minutes ago, thewhyteboar said:

I've no idea what the Eternals are, and I'm kinda over Marvel movies at this point, but Ma Dong-seok is amazing so I'll see it for him.

This, basically.

Chloe Zhao's directing it so I'm very hopeful this will be good, and it's a teaser trailer so you don't want a lot given away, but that felt poorly edited. I dunno. I'm interested but that all seemed like a random collage of shots more than anything.

If I didn’t own movie theaters I would legit not care about anything MCU besides maybe GOTG 3.

I’m honestly ready for super hero movies to not be the dominant form of blockbuster entertainment. The fatigue has absolutely set in for me personally.

9 hours ago, Pikachu said:

Here's a decent write up if you are interested: 

eternals-slice.jpg
COLLIDER.COM

If you haven't heard of Marvel's 'Eternals' before the MCU Phase Four news, you're not alone. We break down the characters as a primer for you here.

Don't give up on Marvel yet! Phase 4 is shaping up to be to be really wild and interesting.

I appreciate it, I do! But I'm not interested enough to read that. ^^

Just now, sblfilms said:

If I didn’t own movie theaters I would legit not care about anything MCU besides maybe GOTG 3.

I’m honestly ready for super hero movies to not be the dominant form of blockbuster entertainment. The fatigue has absolutely set in for me personally.

Exactly how I feel. I like the Spiderman ones, but I'm not going to go out of my way to see any in theaters, especially not now that I have a baby.

So, to me, I am interested in this from the fantasy perspective. Like, I'd prefer it if it wasn't an MCU movie. It is the same with Dr. Strange. I really like the fantasy/mysticism aspect. I think it would have been a greater movie if it wasn't limited to being an MCU movie. 

• Guillotine 1

8 hours ago, sblfilms said:

People have been waiting for that for almost 20 years now. Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back was a super hero movie parody that came out in 2001.:p

I'm down for GOTG 3 and Thor: Love and Thunder (which also features the Guardians, so that's tight), the rest I'm kind of ambivalent about, though I'm sure I'll watch them anyway.

6 minutes ago, Dre801 said:

Meh.  I've been very underwhelmed by Phase 4 Marvel stuff.

There hasn't been any Phase 4 MCU stuff released yet though, unless you're counting WandaVision and The Falcon and the Winter Soldier. Spider-Man: Far From Home is considered part of Phase 3.

Phase 4 starts with Black Widow and Shang-Chi followed by Eternals, Spider-Man: No Way Home, Dr. Strange and the Multiverse of Madness, and Thor: Love & Thunder (and so on).

6 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

There hasn't been any Phase 4 MCU stuff released yet though, unless you're counting WandaVision and The Falcon and the Winter Soldier. Spider-Man: Far From Home is considered part of Phase 3.

Phase 4 starts with Black Widow and Shang-Chi followed by Eternals, Spider-Man: No Way Home, Dr. Strange and the Multiverse of Madness, and Thor: Love & Thunder (and so on).

I'm aware, and Shang Chi, Eternals trailers just haven't done it for me.  I had nearly forgotten about the Black Widow movie, and have just kind of stopped caring about it.   

• Guillotine 1

Just now, Dre801 said:

I'm aware, and Shang Chi, Eternals trailers just haven't done it for me.  I had nearly forgotten about the Black Widow movie, and have just kind of stopped caring about it.   

Yeah I'm with you there - these movies need to be pretty different and/or really good to get me to care more than passively. 

10 hours ago, Fizzzzle said:

People have been waiting for that for almost 20 years now. Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back was a super hero movie parody that came out in 2001.:p

I'm down for GOTG 3 and Thor: Love and Thunder (which also features the Guardians, so that's tight), the rest I'm kind of ambivalent about, though I'm sure I'll watch them anyway.

Super Hero movies were not even sorta the dominant form of blockbuster entertainment in 2001. Spider-Man 1 didn’t even come out until 2002! You really would be hard pressed to say super hero movies occupied the space they currently do much prior to the release of Avengers 1. By that point you have all the major studios trying to figure out how to make all these properties into their next big thing.

I may be the only one here,... I was kind of meh to the idea of The Eternals, similar to Guardians before I saw it.... but after the trailer for The Eternals, I'm sold. To me I just care about more "normal" super heroes, that's what I grew up watching/reading, and "god-level" super heroes didn't interest me. After watching the trailer, seems to be hitting similar MCU notes for me, I'll watch. Started reading up on The Eternals and the history.

• 2 months later...