Joaquin Phoenix's Joker makeup revealed

Bataar

It's just a screen test. Nothing to hyper focus on. I did like the few mannerism that we were able to get but this is nothing to hyper debate over at this point in production. I trust that Phoenix will do the character justice. I just hope that WB is listening with open ears to the DC side of things on this project a lot more than they have done so in the past. 

Looks good. I’m not really wanting a Joker origin story in the same way I didn’t want a

Han Solo origin story, but the players involved are strong so I’ll remain interested.

27 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Looks good. I’m not really wanting a Joker origin story in the same way I didn’t want a

Han Solo origin story, but the players involved are strong so I’ll remain interested.

Exactly how I feel. I think the Joker doesn't need anything more than what we got with the Killing Joke but the players make it interesting to have to pay attention to it. 

12 hours ago, TheLeon said:

I don’t understand how this makeup would change your opinion on this project in any way. 

Because it's the kind of details thing that makes you wonder about their grasp of the material they're working with--especially since, you know, that's been a running problem with these DC movies.

22 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Hey 'member how the internet overreacted to Heath Ledger's Joker makeup? I 'member!

What I remember is how much I liked what Ledger looked like, and I was able to immediately see something in it I wanted to know more about. What I see here reminds me more of when I saw Leto's make-up, and the feeling in my stomach that what I originally thought of as great casting was starting to go down a road that I didn't want to follow.

I mean, we'll see when we know more and have a trailer to get a better idea of their angle, but I get the shaky reception of this one.

6 minutes ago, Wild said:

What I remember is how much I liked what Ledger looked like, and I was able to immediately see something in it I wanted to know more about. What I see here reminds me more of when I saw Leto's make-up, and the feeling in my stomach that what I originally thought of as great casting was starting to go down a road that I didn't want to follow.

I mean, we'll see when we know more and have a trailer to get a better idea of their angle, but I get the shaky reception of this one.

You're in the minority then because I can legit remember dudes on the boards freaking out about how Ledger looked as the Joker. I can even remember what scene was shown early. I can also remember how the internet said Gal Gadot was too skinny to be Wonder Woman and how the freaked our about Spiderman' white Spider emblem in the new game... my point? The internet often reacts with little to no information or context and is more often wrong than right.

3 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

You're in the minority then because I can legit remember dudes on the boards freaking out about how Ledger looked as the Joker. I can even remember what scene was shown early. I can also remember how the internet said Gal Gadot was too skinny to be Wonder Woman and how the freaked our about Spiderman' white Spider emblem in the new game... my point? The internet often reacts with little to no information or context and is more often wrong than right.

Well, the internet also called Batman v Superman being shit, and Leto's Joker, so it's kind of a mixed bag on what pans out. But I'm not overly concerned with what others think. For me, I saw what they were going for with Ledger immediately, and it had an intrigue that I had to know more about. This leaves me feeling like I am looking at a remake of Quick Change. I don't feel compelled to know more.

bill-murray-09_0.jpg?w=612&w=1000&q=70

But again, maybe the trailer will show something that changes my mind.

24 minutes ago, Wild said:

Well, the internet also called Batman v Superman being shit, and Leto's Joker, so it's kind of a mixed bag on what pans out. But I'm not overly concerned with what others think. For me, I saw what they were going for with Ledger immediately, and it had an intrigue that I had to know more about. This leaves me feeling like I am looking at a remake of Quick Change. I don't feel compelled to know more.

bill-murray-09_0.jpg?w=612&w=1000&q=70

But again, maybe the trailer will show something that changes my mind.

Well when your first impulse is to go negative you're bound to be right at some point. The internet's track record of overreacting and being wrong far outweighs it's track record of calling shit right based on a few images.

And I remember when the internet thought Zack Snyder was the second coming despite him fucking up Watchmen and shooting an airball with Sucker Punch.

I remember hoping that Ledger would have a Glasgow smile, so I was happy when the first image of him was revealed and his Joker did have one. 

I don't get the freak out over Phoenix here. This is more than likely before he gets his accident that gives him the permanent white skin and red lips. 

9 hours ago, Jason said:

Because it's the kind of details thing that makes you wonder about their grasp of the material they're working with--especially since, you know, that's been a running problem with these DC movies.

But you had already come to this conclusion before seeing this, right? That's all I'm saying. 

9 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Well when your first impulse is to go negative you're bound to be right at some point. The internet's track record of overreacting and being wrong far outweighs it's track record of calling shit right based on a few images.

And I remember when the internet thought Zack Snyder was the second coming despite him fucking up Watchmen and shooting an airball with Sucker Punch.

Well, again, I'm not trying to focus on what "the internet" thought about these things, but what I think about it. And I think this one looks like a misstep so far. We'll see. It's not like DC has earned a Marvel level benefit of the doubt. Nolan's trilogy looks more like a lucky fluke with every new film they put out. We're not making these judgments in a vacuum.