Lost and Damned - a HL2 total conversion mod that plays like OG Resident Evil

Commissar SFLUFAN

yd4bFhZXjVLfJqnt6px4fP-1200-80.jpg
WWW.PCGAMER.COM

Lost and Damned is a fun sendup of both games, and also completely free to play.

On March 9, modder SellFace released Lost and Damned(opens in new tab), a single-player mod for Half-Life 2's venerable Source engine. It's a cheeky, fun homage to Resident Evil that jumbles the two games up in a way that gave me whiplash (in a good way), and maybe the most surprising thing here is SellFace's pitch-perfect fixed camera gameplay.

Are you even supposed to be able to do that in the Source engine? SellFace nails the flash cut perspective shifts of an old Resident Evil, with your view of a scene drastically changing as you move through a room. It's carried by a pretty solid implementation of tank controls as well, all mapped to keyboard and mouse.

SellFace achieves this really jarring effect by combining the stockest of stock Half-Life 2 assets with some crazy-effective swings at Resident Evil details. The inventory screen is immaculate, just a full send classic Resident Evil six-slot deal with those PS1-core bwum, breedledoo sound effects, but then you use a health vial and it's straight up the sound effect of picking one up in base Half-Life 2. There are also, of course, classic Resi door opening zoom-ins, but with these mundane, photograph-textured HL2 doors that I've become so familiar with for the past nineteen years. Lost and Damned kind of prods two different nostalgic lizard sections of my brain at the same time in way that I definitely enjoy.