I did a bad thing or maybe a great thing

My Dearest @stepee

Last night my wife wanted to show her sister and BIL the first episode of The Last of Us. We watched it in the living room on our last remaining LCD display. It’s a 2016 vintage as well.

I literally only ever watch sporting events in there, which it renders reasonably well. But watching all of the dark scenes with that tragic 2016 era backlight…I was rendered visibly ill.

So I start thinking, it’s time to get that C3 for my bedroom to upgrade my CX. But come to find out the 83 C3 still isn’t on the street yet…and it is honestly immorally expensive to preorder.

So I start thinking, maybe I should grab a 77 C2 to replace the CX, and move the CX to the living room and then move the Sony LCD to the kids room because 

So I see that a local Microcenter has an LG refurb C2 77 for a good price. Got it, with the extended warranty for $2190+tax.

So this will tide me over until the C4/G4 come out next year and eventually price drop to a reasonable level. I really want an MLA panel OLED for my bedroom.

Sincerely,

@sblfilms

I can't speak for Stepee, but I personally forgive you for recognizing the error in your ways upon viewing on a screen with terrible blacks. The amount of people I know that are perfectly content with a TV that has a horrible display of blacks is quite frankly heart-wrenching to me.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

My Dearest @stepee

Last night my wife wanted to show her sister and BIL the first episode of The Last of Us. We watched it in the living room on our last remaining LCD display. It’s a 2016 vintage as well.

I literally only ever watch sporting events in there, which it renders reasonably well. But watching all of the dark scenes with that tragic 2016 era backlight…I was rendered visibly ill.

So I start thinking, it’s time to get that C3 for my bedroom to upgrade my CX. But come to find out the 83 C3 still isn’t on the street yet…and it is honestly immorally expensive to preorder.

So I start thinking, maybe I should grab a 77 C2 to replace the CX, and move the CX to the living room and then move the Sony LCD to the kids room because 

So I see that a local Microcenter has an LG refurb C2 77 for a good price. Got it, with the extended warranty for $2190+tax.

So this will tide me over until the C4/G4 come out next year and eventually price drop to a reasonable level. I really want an MLA panel OLED for my bedroom.

Sincerely,

@sblfilms

This all sounds on the level to me. I seriously doubt I’ll be able to wait for a sensible time to upgrade the living room before I upgrade the bedroom now after owning the G2 for just like 6 weeks. I was just yuckkking all over the splotchy black in Legal Eagle right now in fact. It’s crazy that editorials try to downplay the difference so much, there is no alternative yet.

My favorite part of this is when I mentioned to the wifey that I was heading over to see if they actually had the TV in stock (only listed having 1), she was like “yeah, that was really awful to look at. Please don’t come back without the TV.”

Her OLED snobbery warms my heart.

9 hours ago, sblfilms said:

My favorite part of this is when I mentioned to the wifey that I was heading over to see if they actually had the TV in stock (only listed having 1), she was like “yeah, that was really awful to look at. Please don’t come back without the TV.”

Her OLED snobbery warms my heart.

Animated GIF

I know unrelated, but the tech jump in TVs doesn't wow me anymore.  I remember being blown away when I first made the jump from an old box projection flat screen to a modern LED TV.  Absolutely floored; looking at the TV was like looking through a window.  Every upgrade I've made since then has failed to impress.  I haven't gotten that "holy shit we HD now" feeling in a long ass time.  I bought a new TV a few months ago and it's nice, but the picture's not like, breathtakingly different than my previous TV.  Either I suck at picture settings or I need to wait another decade or so before upgrading any TVs.

I'm still using my 2006 era Pinoneer Elite Kuro 1080p Plasma in the family room -- and the only thing I feel I am missing is HDR (and a larger screen size).

Do you guys actually have TVs in your bedrooms?  What do you use them for?

TBH, the ONLY thing I watch on my TV in 2023 is sports.  (And even then, for F1, I like the streaming options on the computer so much better, that I am watching that on my PC.]

21 minutes ago, Slug said:

I know unrelated, but the tech jump in TVs doesn't wow me anymore.  I remember being blown away when I first made the jump from an old box projection flat screen to a modern LED TV.  Absolutely floored; looking at the TV was like looking through a window.  Every upgrade I've made since then has failed to impress.  I haven't gotten that "holy shit we HD now" feeling in a long ass time.  I bought a new TV a few months ago and it's nice, but the picture's not like, breathtakingly different than my previous TV.  Either I suck at picture settings or I need to wait another decade or so before upgrading any TVs.

I didn’t feel much benefit over the years going from one LCD to the next. The first time I fired up my first OLED, I absolutely had the “we HD now” feeling. It can’t be overstated how important black blacks are to overall image quality.

2 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

I didn’t feel much benefit over the years going from one LCD to the next. The first time I fired up my first OLED, I absolutely had the “we HD now” feeling. It can’t be overstated how important black blacks are to overall image quality.

I'mma have to look up to see if my current TV is an OLED.  Like I said I may just suck at picture settings.

7 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Do you guys actually have TVs in your bedrooms?  What do you use them for?

It’s pretty much the only place I regularly watch things! I have my Series X and PS5 hooked up (soon my PC too as I’m redoing my audio setup and my receiver will be close to my office), and an AppleTV 4K.

So gaming, sports, TV, movies.

Just now, sblfilms said:

7f628q.jpg

:lol:

I mean yeah I wouldn't have accidentally bought it, but I absolutely wouldn't have paid attention to what I was buying.  Being a layperson when it comes to this kind of thing, I'm every salesperson's favorite guy.  I'm the one who walks in and just picks whatever looks best on the wall in the showroom then says yes to whatever suggestions the salesperson makes to make me change my mind.

14 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Ok @Slug they may have got ya then 😂

OK I just looked it up.  I'm pretty sure it's a regular LED. 

Edit: Wait shit..I can't tell. Apparently there are oled and non oled versions of this TV?  

Edit 2: OK I pulled the specific model and yes, I did "accidentally" buy an OLED, I think.  So now I'm back the conclusion that I just suck at picture settings.

• Haha 2

50 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

It’s pretty much the only place I regularly watch things! I have my Series X and PS5 hooked up (soon my PC too as I’m redoing my audio setup and my receiver will be close to my office), and an AppleTV 4K.

So gaming, sports, TV, movies.

But, why in the bedroom as opposed to another room in your house?

Curious, as I have my gaming rig setup in a room just outside of my office in the basement.

4 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

But, why in the bedroom as opposed to another room in your house?

I like having my set up that only I use. The kids can have their game stuff in the other rooms, and their dumb little friends aren’t messing with my stuff 😂

I started my OLED journey with a small one that I use as my primary PC monitor, so I'm spending a ton of time with it every day. The next TV was our primary movie TV that is now a 77" OLED. We have one remaining TV that have downstairs near the kitchen and I'm just hoping that it kicks the bucket so i can replace it with an OLED.

My wife is generally unimpressed by 4K and HDR and surround sound, but the OLED jump is noticeable to her. She doesn't care a whole lot, but I'm sure she'd be fine with getting an OLED to replace it. It's just a matter of time.

2 hours ago, TheShader said:

I feel like you're acting like we're all the weird ones here when you're the odd one out. What kind of weirdo doesn't have a TV in their bedroom?

I have more devices in my house that can stream video than I have people. (Not including tablets and phones. )

Doesn’t having one in your bedroom just interfere with sleeping and sex?

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Doesn’t having one in your bedroom just interfere with sleeping and sex?

It’s the literal opposite. The convenience leads to these typical scenes:

*credits roll*

”you wanna wrassle?”

”sure”

*wrasslin’ commences*

or

*credits roll*

”ready to sleep?”

”yep”

*turns TV off and goes to sleep*

On 3/19/2023 at 7:13 PM, TheShader said:

I can't speak for Stepee, but I personally forgive you for recognizing the error in your ways upon viewing on a screen with terrible blacks. The amount of people I know that are perfectly content with a TV that has a horrible display of blacks is quite frankly heart-wrenching to me.

Damn sick of this wokeness smh

• True 1