Could Nintendo be working on an N64 classic?

SaysWho?

...a European trademark filing from Nintendo indicates that a "Classic Edition" of the original is in the works. 

To be clear, Nintendo hasn't announced such a console, nor has the company previously indicated it's interested in making a "Classic Edition" of the original Nintendo 64. But we do have some clues from the filing that point to just such a console being in the works.

In the filing, a distinctive image is shown:

5970bacfc50c2957008b56b6-750.jpg

The trademark image isn't just notable because it's the outline of the Nintendo 64 gamepad — it's notable because it's the same outline of a gamepad that appears on the retail branding of Nintendo's other "Classic Edition" consoles.

For example:

5970bddfc50c29ad008b56a5-750.jpg

That silhouette of the NES Classic Edition gamepad on the top of the box? It's identical to another trademark filing image from Nintendo:

5970be55c50c291d008b56dc-750.jpg

1 minute ago, mikechorney said:

It also has  a much weaker library (in its day) to draw from than SNES and NES.  And MUCH weaker than PSX.

In its day, that's definitely true.  But I think a lot of 3d N64 games have aged quite gracefully for the gen they were in.  Not only that, but often hold up in emulation better, since there wasn't as much reliance on pre-rendered backdrops.

17 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

True. If Rare games are included then it's still a great buy. Without them...less so, but still good if you enjoy many of the first-party games.

There are a few 3rd party gems on there though. 

Everyone should play Mischef Makers and Ogre Battle 64.  Bomberman 64 and The Second Attack are also very clever, enjoyable games.  The two Goemon games are crack ups, in the best way possible.  The first one was essentially OoT before OoT, and still is one of the better Zelda-likes.

I'd consider those the essentials.  But there's some other fun stuff too, like the AKI wrestlers, Gretskys, Rogue Squadron, etc.  So much of that is licensed though.

2 minutes ago, ort said:

I hooked up our N64 pretty recently... when it first came up on the screen, I honestly thought something had gone terribly wrong. But no, that's just how the games looked back then. Everything looks sooooooo unbelievably blurry.

Did you hook it up to a CRT?  Wouldn't fix everything, but it definitely looks worse hooked up to modern TVs.

Yup, hooked it up to an old CRT.

Some games look better than others. But the resolution is just so low and movement on screen makes everything look like total pixel mud.

Game like Mario 64 still look pretty good. The one that threw me off was Waverace... wow does that not hold up graphically.

3 hours ago, SaysWho? said:

Somebody on Reset brought up a good point:

Of all the Classic consoles, the N64 is the perfect fit for a mini console as you could probably fit 20 games on it that wouldn't leave anything essential out.

I'm going to give a crack at that, just to see.  Honestly curious:

1. Zelda OoT
2. Zelda MM

3. Mario 64
4. Starfox 64
5. Paper Mario

6. Super Smash Bros 64
7. Ogre Battle 64
8. Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon

9. Mario Tennis 64

10. Mischief Makers
11. Mario Party 2
12. Bomberman 64
13. Sin & Punishment

14. Wave Race 64
15. Bomberman 64: The Second Attack

16. Mario Party 3

17. F-Zero X

18. Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards
19. Rayman 2: The Great Escape

20. Goemon's Great Adventure

21. Diddy Kong Racing (might not happen)

22. Star Wars: Rogue Squadron (not likely)

23. Banjo Kazooie (not likely)

24. Banjo-Tooie (not likely)
25. Perfect Dark (not likely)

26. Conker's Bad Fur Day (lol)
27. Goldeneye 007 (hell freezes over)
28-31. Any AKI wrestler (hell freezes over)

Those first 20 could be a fantastic line-up IMO.   Some of the others on that list are essential too, but would sadly be a bonus if we got them.

I don't think DK64, Yoshi's Story, Mario Kart 64 and others would be very essential today, but could easily be given a spot.  A few by 3rd parties could also steal spots (a Crusin', a Turok, a Rush, etc)

This is the classic I probably would pick up. This is one of the few Nintendo console I have never owned (other 2 being the Switch and the Virtual Boy). I wanted one but at that time, I could only have one system especially for what they were costing that time and the Playstation won out after I played Road Rash and Battle Arena Toshiden. Even to this day I have only played a few of the N64 games. So I would easily pick this one up which I am sure Nintendo will eventually release.