Razer: Please don't use our new glass mouse pad to start fires, burn your eyes out, or kill another person...

Mr.Vic20

• Mr.Vic20 changed the title to Razer: Please don't use our new glass mouse pad to start fires, burn your eyes out, or kill another person...
18 minutes ago, DarkStar189 said:

I wouldn’t have thought to do any of those, but now……

Same. I dont know about the last 2, but I am curious about using it like a magnifying glass and starting a bonfire with it. I think I would feel like a superhero, channeling the power of the Sun!

• Haha 1
  • Halal 1

1 hour ago, Brick said:

Why glass? 

Incidentally, are "premium" mouse pads even worth it? I'm still using the cheap cloth one that came with my mobo over ten years ago. 

The theory (marketing?) is that a glass surface, if properly maintained, will offer the least resistance of the available materials and won't break down over time like plastics/rubbers. This is Razer though, so its likely more about bragging rights, I think? 

21 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

The theory (marketing?) is that a glass surface, if properly maintained, will offer the least resistance of the available materials and won't break down over time like plastics/rubbers.

Plus it's easier to clean off the Cheetos dust when you've been in a hardcore gaming groove for 6 hours!

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, DPCyric said:

Sadly no or I would be all about that.

Why does this exist? Jesus capitalism get it together. How are you gonna make a tempered glass mouse pad and not give it cool RGB? Only logical reason is to make people buy this then buy the RGB version. Just keep my Corsair RGB mouse pad.

• True 1

On 3/17/2023 at 2:32 PM, Mr.Vic20 said:

The theory (marketing?) is that a glass surface, if properly maintained, will offer the least resistance of the available materials and won't break down over time like plastics/rubbers. This is Razer though, so its likely more about bragging rights, I think? 

I guess. Are pricier mouse pads worth it though? 

15 minutes ago, Brick said:

No, not really! Again, we're talking about Razer here, they sell things you don't need! I believe their marketing slogan is: "Wait until your girlfriend get's a view of your PC...?"

8 minutes ago, Brick said:

I've been using a SteelSeries aluminum mousepad for years and I like it. It's low friction, easy to clean, and looks nice. They haven't sold it for a long time, and considering the first article I could find about it is 16 years old and mentions a price of $50, I'm pretty sure I've gotten my money's worth. Still, I bet that a $20 generic one from Amazon will be just as good.

It doesn't look like there are a ton of tempered glass mouse pads out there, so maybe $100 for one isn't a terrible deal, though I'm dubious as to the benefit.

On 3/17/2023 at 11:32 AM, Mr.Vic20 said:

The theory sounds great, in practice I can just take a new one from work when the current one I took from work gets too banged up. :p

4 hours ago, Nokra said:

This has been my mouse pad since 2007 and it's still going strong. :daydream:

The woman who helped take care of my grandpa after my grandma died randomly had a Max Payne mousepad, I still regret not asking her if I could have it if I got her a new mousepad. :sadsun:

• Hugs 2