Prepare for riots in France: Macron to force through pension reform without parliamentary vote

45 minutes ago, Signifyin(g)Monkey said:

Pensions?  What are those?

I think my dad mentioned having one, once, but he could have been talking about an old car...

My mom's pension from Passaic county is insanely good. Once she pays her pension loan which should be this month or next month. 6k monthly until she dies and there seems to be some type of survivor's benefit. Don't have the details but if I decide to move to be with my ex I'll be aight one way or another. 

I could have gone to college and gotteb one myself but depression and anxiety basically fucked up my life. I have one from VZ. I think full pension is 20 more years for me. I just don't derive enough happiness from my life LTD so I need something bigger then myself to want to hit that 20 years. Also grim dark 20 years is a long time and I don't think our status quo had 20 years in it which is another concern.

7199.jpg?width=1200&height=630&quality=8
WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM

Strikes escalate and MPs call for protection as interior minister warns protesters against wreaking havoc

Refinery strikes have escalated in France as the interior minister spoke of protesters wreaking havoc across the country and some MPs called for police protection, amid anger at the government pushing through a rise in the pension age without a parliamentary vote.

More than 300 people were arrested across France overnight during spontaneous protests against Emmanuel Macron’s decision to bypass parliament and force through his unpopular pensions changes, including raising the eligible age from 62 to 64.

Macron instructed the prime minister, Élisabeth Borne, to invoke article 49.3 of the constitution, which allows the government to adopt a bill without a parliamentary vote, because he said there was too much economic risk to the country if MPs voted against the bill.

As opposition politicians accused the government of a brutal and undemocratic approach, demonstrators gathered in cities such as Paris and Rennes and smaller towns such as Laval and Évreux. About 200 protesters briefly blocked traffic on the Paris ring road early on Friday morning. In Bordeaux, dozens of protesters stood on the tracks at the main train station.

15 hours ago, Jason said:

I dunno I kind of appreciate that they actually riot their government tries to fuck them. 

Yes I do like that about them. We should do that but I guess not everyone has enough paid time off to miss work.

1 hour ago, Zaku3 said:

Yes I do like that about them. We should do that but I guess not everyone has enough paid time off to miss work.

Well, that and going to protest the government/riot is a lot easier when your country is a lot smaller, segmented into fewer regions/cities, and you can take an afternoon train from the farthest reaches to the center of government.

Y523VVz.png

Me going to protest the government vs the people in sexy ass Brest going to protest the government, both via public transportation.

26 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

Well, that and going to protest the government/riot is a lot easier when your country is a lot smaller, segmented into fewer regions/cities, and you can take an afternoon train from the farthest reaches to the center of government.

Y523VVz.png

Me going to protest the government vs the people in sexy ass Brest going to protest the government, both via public transportation.

Thank you. It's easy to forget geographical issues. (Note to self need to figure out revolution transportation issues ahead of time.)

1 hour ago, Xbob42 said:

Y523VVz.png

59 minutes ago, Zaku3 said:

Thank you. It's easy to forget geographical issues. (Note to self need to figure out revolution transportation issues ahead of time.)

At the same time...how many people live within 4 hours of the US capital vs 4 hours to the French capital? The latter might be higher, but I doubt it. So yes, a certain % of the population will find it easier to protest in Paris, but in absolute numbers I'd say the US would easily match it. NYC to DC is <4 hours by car, theoretically, and faster by train.

19 hours ago, Jason said:

I dunno I kind of appreciate that they actually riot their government tries to fuck them. 

I mean, the BLM protests were estimated to be around 26 million people. That's around 1/3 the entire population of France. The largest French protest was estimated to be around a million people, and most are far below that, like 100k-200k.

Along with pure distance like others have mentioned, our government is just so damn decentralized on every level. The federal government alone has almost 600 elected members, and when you go to state, county, and city governments you have literally hundreds of thousands of politicians. Any given issue wouldn't even be solved if our millions of protestor were focused on DC, because there's still tens to hundreds of thousands of politicians across the country all perpetuating the systemic issues. 

Americans: We need our fully automatic rifles with 50 round mags to hold the Government back from trampling over us. Sometimes you need to sacrifice a few dozen kids in the name of freedom.

France:

12 minutes ago, SimpleG said:

Americans: We need our fully automatic rifles with 50 round mags to hold the Government back from trampling over us. Sometimes you need to sacrifice a few dozen kids in the name of freedom.

France:

TBH if they don't get their demands the next step should be guns. People are clearly not happy about this. The authority of the state is it's supposed to represent the citizens of that state. I fail to see why making the lives of your citizens worse is a desirable outcome. 

This is a certified rotten "dictatorship of the bougiose" moment.

6 hours ago, Zaku3 said:

TBH if they don't get their demands the next step should be guns. People are clearly not happy about this. The authority of the state is it's supposed to represent the citizens of that state. I fail to see why making the lives of your citizens worse is a desirable outcome. 

This is a certified rotten "dictatorship of the bougiose" moment.

In other words

528eeea4d9af5732caab15886b72734f5c2e0a52

• Haha 5
  • Halal 1
  • Sicko Sherman 1

107211425-1679315113741-gettyimages-1248
WWW.CNBC.COM

The French government faces two no confidence motions Monday afternoon over its pension system changes.

The government of French President Emmanuel Macron faces a no-confidence vote Monday afternoon, as furious opposition lawmakers contest his decision to force changes to the pension system through parliament without a poll.

Two no-confidence motions have been filed — one by a coalition of centrist and left-wing parties, and a second by the far-right National Rally, which is expected to also back the former.

Analysts told CNBC on Friday that Macron’s opponents were unlikely to reach the required 287 out of 577 votes.

But the vote is expected to be tight and could lead to the resignation of Prime Minister Elisabeth Borne, who announced the government’s intention to use the special constitutional measure to pass the long-standing plan to raise the retirement age.

If the no-confidence vote fails, the bill will go through and lift the retirement age of most workers from 62 to 64 by 2030.

Much will hinge on how many members of the center-right Les Republicains party break ranks and vote against the government.

The party’s deputy leader was fired last month for failing to back Macron’s pension reform plan, which passed in the upper house of parliament — the Senate — on March 12. Macron calculated he did not have the votes to see the legislation through the lower house of the National Assembly.

_129046643_gettyimages-1248908586.jpg
WWW.BBC.COM

More than 100 people are arrested after protests across Paris following Monday's vote.

The French government has narrowly survived a vote of no-confidence, which was triggered when it forced through an increase in the pension age to 64.

It sparked new anti-government protests in Paris, where 101 people were arrested after stand-offs with police.

The vote, tabled by centrist MPs, had 278 votes in favour, falling short of the 287 votes needed.

Had it been successful, President Emmanuel Macron would have had to name a new government or call new elections.

A second no-confidence motion, tabled by Marine Le Pen's far-right National Rally party, also did not pass.

Now both votes have failed, the controversial bill to raise the retirement age from 62 to 64 will become law.

The votes were held after Prime Minister Élisabeth Borne used a special constitutional power, called Article 49:3, to push the bill through without a vote last week.

I was talking to my cousin yesterday, she is leaving today for a French river cruise and was alerted that they won’t be on the river for most of the cruise due to strikes shutting down some of the river operations.

She was being a good sport about it, despite it being a trip she’s saved for over the last 10 years to celebrate HER retirement 😂