Everything Everywhere All at Once sweeps at the Oscars, 7 wins including Best Picture

8 minutes ago, 69los said:

Love JLC but that was a career achievement award, right? Hsu was better in EEAAO but it seemed like Condon was the consensus favorite based on actual performance.

Yeah, it was a fun performance, the kind of thing that doesn’t normally get awards recognition, so it was a nice win in that regard. And she’s a legend who has never been nominated before. But there were much more deserving nominees in that category. 

20 minutes ago, 69los said:

Love JLC but that was a career achievement award, right? Hsu was better in EEAAO but it seemed like Condon was the consensus favorite based on actual performance.

i don’t think condon had much momentum. seemed like a two horse race between JLC and bassett with condon as the dark horse. don’t think chau or hsu had any chance. hsu was pretty unknown before this so i think pushing JLC was the easier move for A24 

Hsu is going to get another chance. She even appeared in an episode of Poker Face and got a lot of shine.

Man, that image of Ford and Quan hugging melted my cold heart. And Brendan Fucking Fraser winning Best Actor made me want to watch Encino Man and the Mummy.

52 minutes ago, Derek said:

Is the movie really that good? I want to see it. Is there enough action to fill my adrenaline fix?

I only saw 2 of the best pictures and I saw this one twice at home. I really enjoyed it and all deserved the win, although I think JLC wasn’t as impressive Hsu’s performance. Quan is the one I wanted to win the most and He Deserved This! His performance in this movie was stellar and he will never have me look at a fanny pack the same way again. Yes there is action and it kicks ass when it happens with a little WTF along with it. Oh and the other movie I saw was Top Gun Maverick. It meh to ok for me, but didn’t see the first movie, which I think Hot Shots! might of hurt it for me. (love Hot Shots! and Part Deux)

Happy for Fraser winning. Plus I’m glad to see him looking in healthier shape again. I know his back is pretty fucked up and I wonder if The Whale role scared him to be healthier again. 

I thought Kimmel was good and never overstayed his welcome on stage. Some good burns in there too. 

I wanna see RRR because of the trailer and watching the only good song nominated. It got a 3D release in India and crossing my fingers some country gets the rights to release it on disc. 

It's so rare that a movie I'd seen or even heard of, let alone actually liked, won best picture.  I'm glad EEAaO got it.  I saw it randomly on a whim at a theater near an airport while killing time waiting for a flight home.  Knew absolutely nothing about it going in.  Everything else that was in the theater at the time looked boring and this one had a cool box standee with Michelle Yeoh doing a martial arts pose and I was like, "Yeah I could go for a kung-fu flick".  2 hours later and I could not recall ever being that surprised and engaged by a movie before.  It's not my favorite movie, but it's probably my favorite movie experience if that makes sense.  It absolutely tops the list of "I wish I could see it again for the first time" films.

2 hours ago, Remarkableriots said:
oscars-angela-bassett-zz-230312-01-15bd6
WWW.GOOGLE.COM

Bassett was nominated for best supporting actress for her portrayal of Queen Ramonda in "Black Panther: Wakanda Forever."

i didn’t think she would win because a lot of voters don’t view superhero movies on the same level as the rest of the movies. she was fantastic in BP but most of that movie is kinda meh. i can’t imagine people who aren’t into the genre finishing the movie and being like oh yeah THAT’s the winner. 

• True 2

While I understand the backlash against JLC winning, I'm personally biased as she's horror royalty, and while still she COULD have used that "H" word versus utilizing "Genre", I'm still beyond happy that she won as she did truly kill it in that film & in that role. Granted, Hsu did an equal job of bringing it in EEAAO but hear me out, she WILL get another chance down the road if she's truly that good, Jamie on the other hand is on her victory lap where all things are concerned, so let her have it.

1 hour ago, SoberChef said:

she WILL get another chance down the road if she's truly that good

Slight correction, if her agent and luck are that good. I think she more than proved herself in this movie, and objectively think she deserved an award over JLC based purely on the movie. Problem is your agent, luck, and straight up Hollywood politics can quickly kill your chance at a second shot regardless of your talent. Which should be evident with these awards alone, JLC 100% got her award on politics, and Fraser is an actor that lost any chance in Hell due to Hollywood politics(the shitty sexual assault kind) and by luck and determination pulled himself back out like 20 years later. 

Also, all that said, I just finished EEAAO right before typing this out. I'd been looking forward to watching it since the first trailer dropped, but the stars never quite aligned. Finally got to watch it while all the hype is out. 

Definitely say I really enjoyed it. I think it definitely resonates for people that might have had bad relationships with their parents. @Derek I loved the action. It takes huge and obvious influence from old school Kung Fu movies. If you want to itch the scratch of big budget Kung fu fights, I'd recommend it. 

• True 1
  • Halal 1

5 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:
Screen-Shot-2023-03-13-at-3.00.39-PM.png
VARIETY.COM

Mira Sorvino says it was "baffling" for her father, Paul Sorvino, not to be included in the In Memoriam montage during the Oscars broadcast.

I haven't cared for these award ceremonies in a long time, but if they actually included more people because of how they did this than I don't think I can be upset. 

For anyone that didn't read or watch the Oscar's, it seems after in memoriam they included a QR code that listed a larger list of those that were lost. So if this was done to create a more exhaustive list rather than to cut down the time spent on the in memoriam then I think that's a step in the right direction. If it's the opposite then, yeah, screw that. 

On 3/13/2023 at 2:43 PM, Remarkableriots said:
oscars-angela-bassett-zz-230312-01-15bd6
WWW.GOOGLE.COM

Bassett was nominated for best supporting actress for her portrayal of Queen Ramonda in "Black Panther: Wakanda Forever."

She didnt deserve to win for BP, not because its a comic book movie but because she really only had 2 major scenes that while good arent above and beyond outstanding.. If anything I hope this leads her to get a project that actually showcases what she can really do as she did when playing Tina Turner..

I really enjoyed all the Will Smith humor, all the jokes were pretty spot on and clever:

-If you dont like a joke and feel like getting Jiggy with it

-We will try to pull this show off without a “Hitch”

The weirdness of the show was just pleasant… none of the usual Leo D or Meryl S…. just this weird thing where 2 actors from Encino Man who had vanished suddenly reappeared and won Oscars on the same night..