Samsung phones fake their moon photos

10 hours ago, ort said:

If Apple did this it would be front page news on every news site and the scandal would stick to them for decades.

Not at all. If Apple did it they'd be praised as the second coming of photography and fawned over for taking all photography to the next level. 

Also, when do we get the camera AI that puts six fingers on every picture I take with my phone?

9 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

Marques on the case.

I still think it's weird that this is blowing up again when Samsung first rolled this feature out back on the Galaxy S21 Ultra. This was covered back when that phone launched and then it's coming up again as if it wasn't. Maybe I just paid more attention to it since I'm still using my S21 Ultra that I bought at launch two years back. I got the Ultra specifically for the telephoto lens.

I always find it amusing the way stuff randomly goes viral. The problem was the Reddit user that originally called this out back in 2021 is that he posted his experiments on the Samsung subreddit when he should have gone with the much larger Android subreddit. He's also the only one that actually tried to see if Samsung's AI would actually try to moon sharpen anything it sees on the moon's surface and that's how he wound up with this AI enhanced picture.

bq152pjlc5e61.jpg?width=3000&format=pjpg

Samsung is pretty clearly not overlaying a moon texture like Huawei supposedly was back in 2019.

4 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

I still think it's weird that this is blowing up again when Samsung first rolled this feature out back on the Galaxy S21 Ultra. This was covered back when that phone launched and then it's coming up again as if it wasn't. Maybe I just paid more attention to it since I'm still using my S21 Ultra that I bought at launch two years back. I got the Ultra specifically for the telephoto lens.

Yeah, same, clearly. I don't have a Samsung phone so it all bounced off me now, and I read the initial replies to the thread at the timer and didn't catch the extent to which it came up a couple years ago. I just thought it was interesting. :p

7 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

Yeah, same, clearly. I don't have a Samsung phone so it all bounced off me now, and I read the initial replies to the thread at the timer and didn't catch the extent to which it came up a couple years ago. I just thought it was interesting. :p

At least you have an excuse.

bXJOZgI.jpg
WWW.THEVERGE.COM

A photo of a blurry image of the Moon revealed some telling results.

How does the Verge only learn about a subject that popped up two years and of which Samsung already made a public statement about way back when they first released their 100x zoom phone. The phones have, what, a 240mm telephoto lens? 100x zoom is literally a hundred times what the phone is physically capable of capturing. Anything beyond 10x zoom on a Samsung phone is being "faked" by AI.