Gen Z faces workplace ‘tech shame’

Remarkableriots

4000.jpg?width=1200&height=630&quality=8
WWW.GOOGLE.COM

They may be digital natives, but young workers were raised on user-friendly apps – and office devices are far less intuitive

Do they know what button to press to turn on a bulky computer monitor, when many simply close their personal laptops when they’re done with them? (No, says one Reddit user who works in IT and has resorted to putting a sign over the power button on work computers.)

Tech illiteracy isn't generational. There are people that spend 22 hours a day on their electronic devices and know them inside and out, and everyone else that still refers to a computer monitor as 'The hard drive'. No in-between. Boomers, Gen X, Millennials, and Gen Z have all had this dichotomy. Usually made worse by the fact that most of the people that couldn't tell an LCD monitor from a hole in the ground think of themselves as tech geniuses because they once right-clicked something.

• Like 2
  • Halal 2

I've been relatively tech literate my entire life -- and am basically self taught.

My kids show literally no interest in learning how tech works.  And refuse to even learn the basics of how to troubleshoot even basic tech problems.

That said, office copiers/scanners are no more complicated (at least in my experience) than your basic at home printer/scanner.