Vinyl outsells the fuck out of CDs for the first time since 198-freaking-7

10 minutes ago, Biggie said:

Y’all ever heard of this thing called iTunes? :shrug:

I signed up for amazon music. I wish video streaming would offer higher quality video options. I'd pay more for like 4k Blu Ray video and audio quality.

Edit: Thriller, Illmatic, Get Rich or Die Tryin, and the Slim Shady LP incoming.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

I don't think it does on Windows still. But that still wouldn't get me to use it as my music player so I guess it was kind of an irrelevant question.

Fair.

At this point I’m so used to it I’m kinda blind to both its flaws and what it does well, it’s just sort of ubiquitous. It’s what I moved to from Winamp when I got my first iPod in… 2004?

1 minute ago, Kal-El814 said:

Fair.

At this point I’m so used to it I’m kinda blind to both its flaws and what it does well, it’s just sort of ubiquitous. It’s what I moved to when I got my first iPod in… 2004?

That's where my hate of it started haha. I got an iPod, which was an awesome device, but I remember iTunes was always really buggy with my tags and wasn't as quick and snappy as other things I preferred. Recently switched to an iPhone. Again, great device, but iTunes still feels like it has the same things I disliked about it 20 years ago when I'm sticking my music on it or doing a backup.

On 3/12/2023 at 4:10 PM, thedarkstark said:

Who tf still buying CDs?

Me, I’ve been collecting them since the 90s. I have thousands of them, and they’re my favorite physical media collection. Owning albums physically is what I grew up doing starting with cassettes in the 80s, and having a physical copy of an album makes it feel more real to me than just having a digital copy.

3250.jpg?width=1200&height=630&quality=8
WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM

The thrash metallers have secured their own supply of the high-value format, which is enjoying a 16th consecutive year of growth, ahead of the release of a new album

Metallica have bought their own factory to manufacture vinyl records, as annual vinyl unit sales outstrip CDs for the first time since 1987 in the US.

The thrash metal band are the new owners of Furnace Record Pressing, a Virginia pressing plant that has made discs for Metallica for 15 years, as Billboard reports. The company’s founder and chief executive Eric Astor said: “Knowing our long-term future is secured while also being better able to take advantage of growth opportunities is really exciting.”

Metallica sell more vinyl than most acts: without releasing a new album, they sold 387,000 copies of albums from their catalogue in the format in 2022, making them the sixth highest selling on vinyl act in the US that year. Their first album since 2016’s Hardwired … to Self-Destruct is released in April, entitled 72 Seasons, and Furnace has been pressing vinyl copies of it since January.

3 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:
3250.jpg?width=1200&height=630&quality=8
WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM

The thrash metallers have secured their own supply of the high-value format, which is enjoying a 16th consecutive year of growth, ahead of the release of a new album

There have been some supply constraints. Several records I've purchased over the past year have been delayed in their arrival. One was delayed by almost an entire year! And since they're about to release an album I could see the potential financial benefit here.

YOLO'ed on a Walkman. It's not worth whay they charge per say but I'd say the audio quality seems flat out better. I'd buy an audiophile phone if it matched the walkman's audio quality.

Could also be my open ear headphones being amazing. Hard to tell when your phone lacks a 3.5mm jack. (Thank Apple)

1 hour ago, Bjomesphat said:

Yeah.

Though really I only use iTunes to keep my music library organized. I should probably just find something else at this point.

I think I'm missing something then, are you asking if Apple Music can just organize files in addition to play them?