Chris Rock Live on Netflix

8 hours ago, stepee said:

I’ll have to watch this later, I was always impressed how a guy like Chris Rock of all people in that moment while holding a microphone was able to be so professional about it in the moment. Total pro.

I agree. Part of me feels like he was smart enough to know that he could make millions if he didn't overreact and just sat quietly about it for a little while. It was like an ultimate A-list celebrity's fall from grace and Chris Rock got to cash in on it.

Good for him.

• True 1

5 hours ago, SuperSpreader said:

I couldn't get past the 15 min mark, it was all old man yells at sky. The Elon Musk worship was like alright, I'm out.

damn, there really might be a mistake comics of his age are making where they think that boot licking is edgy now - I still like Rock though, hopefully there is more to it 

• Halal 1

His take on it is slightly more nuanced than "people are so fragile now." I mean, it's a part of it, but it's more about hypocrisy, getting outraged when one person does something, but if another person does the same thing no one cares. Or people who are determined to make themselves a victim of something, so they'll look for something until they find it.

It's adjacent to "old man yells at the sky," but slightly different.

• Halal 1

Didn’t love it. Dude waited a whole year to go after Will Smith? Not that it wasn’t deserved but I dunno, if you’re going to wait a full year at least come up with something more nuanced and clever. All that just sounded like an angry social media post he coulda put out the next day. 

• Halal 1

1 hour ago, Fizzzzle said:

His take on it is slightly more nuanced than "people are so fragile now." I mean, it's a part of it, but it's more about hypocrisy, getting outraged when one person does something, but if another person does the same thing no one cares. Or people who are determined to make themselves a victim of something, so they'll look for something until they find it.

I gotta watch it sometime, but I think some people who talk about fragility are not exclusively talking about liberals. We all know how fragile conservatives can be as we’ve seen on this board and how willing they’ll be the victim.

People on the left often feel those complaints are targeting them, and a lot of times they are targeted, but I don’t think it’s exclusively at them considering the fragile snowflakes at the Capitol insurrection. The South Park creators said on a recent podcast that most of the pushback and backlash they received was on the right, for example.

More a general statement since I still have to watch this. From the little I read, l assumed he was talking about Smith, which kind of fits your post since he laughed at the infamous joke at first.

2 hours ago, Fizzzzle said:

Old man yells at cloud 

1 hour ago, SaysWho? said:

I gotta watch it sometime, but I think some people who talk about fragility are not exclusively talking about liberals. We all know how fragile conservatives can be as we’ve seen on this board and how willing they’ll be the victim.

People on the left often feel those complaints are targeting them, and a lot of times they are targeted, but I don’t think it’s exclusively at them considering the fragile snowflakes at the Capitol insurrection. The South Park creators said on a recent podcast that most of the pushback and backlash they received was on the right, for example.

More a general statement since I still have to watch this. From the little I read, l assumed he was talking about Smith, which kind of fits your post since he laughed at the infamous joke at first.

I don't think of it as a left/right thing, I think of it as people are *aching* to feel like they're a victim. The capital rioters fit that mold just as much as people who see something one person said that was mildly offensive on Twitter.

He does talk about will Smith, but not directly until the end.

There's a whole rant I could go on about the economics of rage bait and how it totally affects both the left and the right the same (what is the culture war if not rage bait, social media companies love it because rage bait is great at retention, both Democrats and Republicans love it when people become riled up about something because it makes them single-minded, which makes campaigns easier to market, etc)

But in this special, he does specifically talk about the fragility of capital rioters. People want to paint this special as one thing or another, when it's not either.

That being said, I also thought the special was just alright. I don't regret that I watched it, but if it wasn't for the Will Smith thing, hardly anyone would have paid attention to it.

I didn't find most of it particularly funny.  But did come away from the feeling that Chris Rock is based.  It was almost like he was more focused on pointing out the hypocrisy in the US culture warriors (and, in the end, lash out at Will Smith) than actively trying to tell jokes.

1 hour ago, SaysWho? said:

He wasn't talking about liberals -- he was mostly talking about "woke culture" (his words).  He did follow up with good similarities on how some capital rioters and white males also pull the victim cards.  

• Halal 1

Wife and I watched it last night. Didn’t find most of it that funny. The Will Smith part was great but that was the final few minutes.  I don’t care about how rich he is(he lets you know many times). The story about his daughter went on for too long and I didn’t care at all.  During one joke about dating a 25 year old who wanted a pair of shoes, he repeated the same sentence like 5 times. My wife and I were both ready to turn it off. Not just old man yelling at the sky, but literally old man YELLING the whole time.

I don't usually watch this sort of thing, but it was on at a friends house and I was kinda half watching it.

All of the woke stuff is just so played out. It wasn't funny, or clever, or original, or interesting. It was just tired and played out. I'm just tired of all of these multi-millionaire super successful people complaining and whining about this stuff.

Making a long stream of content about how rich and entitled you are doesn't really make for a compelling watch, The Jada/Will stuff was more interesting but still not that exciting. 

• Like 1
  • Halal 1