Red Dead Redemption II | Official Thread of Shrinking Equine Testicles

Commissar SFLUFAN

The more I think about how crime in communicated in this game and how it interacts with honor, the more I dislike it.

As like everything in this game, sometimes it’s GREAT. I’ll be in the wilderness and someone will mess with me. I’ll take them out, and a random passerby will see the corpse, and see me nearby, and go to report me to the law. I can chase them down and intimate them to silence. I LIKE this. THIS makes sense.

Then I’ll break up a bar fight via the “Intervene” prompt, which will cause me to get into fisticuffs. This has no impact on my honor, despite me saving someone from a beating which has caused my honor to go up in almost every other, similar situation.  My intervention causes half of the fucking town to aggro. Charles Xavier couldn’t get the X-Men on the same page as quickly as this town decides to not only descend on my location, but to come with guns drawn, shooting to kill. I cannot surrender. For each person I kill in self defense, my honor drops, so I decide to run. Despite the fact that I killed 15 people, more or less, and my honor tanked... no bounty. Not wanted by the law.

Nothing in this game works consistently at all.

45 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

The more I think about how crime in communicated in this game and how it interacts with honor, the more I dislike it.

As like everything in this game, sometimes it’s GREAT. I’ll be in the wilderness and someone will mess with me. I’ll take them out, and a random passerby will see the corpse, and see me nearby, and go to report me to the law. I can chase them down and intimate them to silence. I LIKE this. THIS makes sense.

Then I’ll break up a bar fight via the “Intervene” prompt, which will cause me to get into fisticuffs. This has no impact on my honor, despite me saving someone from a beating which has caused my honor to go up in almost every other, similar situation.  My intervention causes half of the fucking town to aggro. Charles Xavier couldn’t get the X-Men on the same page as quickly as this town decides to not only descend on my location, but to come with guns drawn, shooting to kill. I cannot surrender. For each person I kill in self defense, my honor drops, so I decide to run. Despite the fact that I killed 15 people, more or less, and my honor tanked... no bounty. Not wanted by the law.

Nothing in this game works consistently at all.

Yeah, sometimes it flat out doesn't make sense at all. Sometimes a cold blooded murder has no honor/bounty impact on you at all for hand wavey reasons, sometimes the same act has you in a two hour gunfight. I don't know what the rules of this world are, and it makes it frustrating to navigate sometimes, especially when it goes against my intentions for my Arthur's version of his moral code. 

7 hours ago, SaysWho? said:

I actually want to hear @ByWatterson's comments about the game pushing the genre forward, but I know he's a lot busier these days. I'd love to hear them because they'll probably be pretty well-argued and shit. :p 

giphy.gif

Just kidding. I really will post my full thoughts soon.  Almost done with Epilogue II.

• Haha 1

Man, I have so much fun NOT doing the story, which is hard to do since the story has been great. Yesterday I just went and took out an O'Driscoll camp I had never seen, explored some other areas, got some perfect pelts and took out some animals to craft ammo that would grant me perfect pelts.

This has been well worth the $50 I paid (GCU discount + tax). Gee zuz.

8 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Credits rolling.... Definitely as good as GOW and Spidey in my book. Now I wanna jump right into the original game :p Was the original RDR Xbox One Enhanced? Oh and I want 

Reveal hidden contents

or at least some DLC :D

Spoiler

I would have preferred to play the end game as Sadie personally since she went bounty hunter, but I guess they wanted to setup rdr1 in the epilogue.

56 minutes ago, eggydoo said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Totally agree...

Spoiler

If we ever get some single player DLC, I would love to play as Sadie in Mexico or Charles in Canada... or both. Shit they could do a whole new game Uncharted 4 style.

Music was amazing in this game too. First time in awhile I actually want to get the game sound track. Or maybe it came with the edition i bought? I gotta check.

https://www.rockstargames.com/newswire/article/60762/Red-Dead-Online-Beta-Status-Update-Dec-14

We'd once again like to acknowledge our incredible Red Dead Online community for their continued support, patience and detailed feedback during this beta period. Here are some new details on the latest updates to the Red Dead Online Beta, along with a few things to look forward to:

Title Update 1.05 has been released addressing general improvements to fix game stability, save data and to address exploits.

Gold Gift: As a thank you for your ongoing support, we are awarding everyone who has played from the Red Dead Online Beta launch through this Thursday, December 20th with a gift of 15 additional gold bars. The awards will begin rolling out today and if you haven’t experienced the Red Dead Online Beta yet, play by Thursday, December 20th for eligibility. All gold bar gifts should be delivered by Monday, December 24th. Keep an eye out for an alert screen when entering the Red Dead Online Beta to confirm the gift.

Cash Gift: As an added thank you to players who pre-ordered Red Dead Redemption 2, and those who purchased either the Special or Ultimate Edition, we are awarding additional RDO$ gifts. These will be active starting Friday, December 21st and are automatically added to your character’s balance the next time you play Red Dead Online during the Beta and permanently afterwards:

• Special Edition Owners: RDO$100
  • Ultimate Edition Owners: RDO$1,000
  • Everyone who pre-ordered: RDO$100 (in addition to Ultimate and Special Edition gifts)

Store: Is now accessible in-game. As always, if you experience any technical issues at all with any purchases, please head to https://support.rockstargames.com for help; and if you have any user experience issues or feedback to provide, please submit to the www.reddeadonline.com/feedback website.

Upcoming Updates to the Red Dead Online Beta: We have been poring through incoming community input and suggestions and are working on updates for early 2019 to address many popular bits of feedback including some new anti-griefing measures in the works and other updates to improve gameplay balance. We are also working on lots of new features, modes and additional Red Dead Online gameplay content updates that we are very excited to share more about in the new year.

Thank you again to all Red Dead players worldwide for your amazing support and feedback contributions. Please stay tuned for more info in the coming weeks and months.

Finished. Great ending and epilogue, but...

Spoiler

The epilogue is so long and you spend so much time as John that I felt it kinda discounted the weight of Arthur's death and story. Like he was just a side character in John's story. 

Another thing that bothered me was my Arthur died with like $4000 in his satchel. Hands it to John, and a few months later we're on a wagon with $24 in my pocket. Dammit Marston, what did you do with my money? And we're completely out of Oregano, too? How is this possible? 

Anyways, that's my game of the year. 

6 hours ago, mo1518 said:

Finished. Great ending and epilogue, but...

Reveal hidden contents

Anyways, that's my game of the year. 

Spoiler

It's not a few days after Arthur's death, I believe it's a couple of years.

So I've been on a little quest to find some good weapons. 

I really like the gunslinger side quests. So far I've done 2 and the second one gave me a pretty sweet Mauser. A side quest at the gunsmith in Rhodes got me a great repeater. 

I've heard tell of a pirate sword and a few throwing axes. What else is out there that I might benefit from early?

Also, fuck the Lemoyne Raiders. 

The online has been really fun. Much better than GTAV online in my opinion. Its basically a whole new game with a new storyline that plays out like old Rockstar  games with the silent protagonist.  you interact with other players, sure, but you're basically in the open world doing whatever you want.  pretty damn fun. I'm level 13 right now and if anyone wants to posse up, hit me up.

3 hours ago, CayceG said:

So I've been on a little quest to find some good weapons. 

I really like the gunslinger side quests. So far I've done 2 and the second one gave me a pretty sweet Mauser. A side quest at the gunsmith in Rhodes got me a great repeater. 

I've heard tell of a pirate sword and a few throwing axes. What else is out there that I might benefit from early?

Also, fuck the Lemoyne Raiders. 

Automatic Shotgun is awesome.

• 2 weeks later...

Like a lot of you, my views on this game have been... mixed. I finally hit a point where I was comfortable with the controls/systems/fiddly bits, and my overall frustration level with the game was relatively low. Although I just did a mission where I very specifically made sure to have my repeater and shotgun equipped before starting. When action broke out, of course I only had my pistols.  Fuck that forever. 

But anyway,  I wasn't getting much out of the side stuff anymore, so I decided to focus on the story for a while. I thought I was making good progress, then I looked in the menu and saw that I'm only half way done. Holy shit. That kinda killed any momentum I had built up. 

3 hours ago, TheLeon said:

Like a lot of you, my views on this game have been... mixed. I finally hit a point where I was comfortable with the controls/systems/fiddly bits, and my overall frustration level with the game was relatively low. Although I just did a mission where I very specifically made sure to have my repeater and shotgun equipped before starting. When action broke out, of course I only had my pistols.  Fuck that forever. 

But anyway,  I wasn't getting much out of the side stuff anymore, so I decided to focus on the story for a while. I thought I was making good progress, then I looked in the menu and saw that I'm only half way done. Holy shit. That kinda killed any momentum I had built up. 

The game goes on forever bro

Just finished the main story.

Fantastic. One of my favorite games of the year, and probably one of my favorite stories in video games so far. As a 2018 game goes, this is right below God of War, which also has a great world to explore, but it has less annoyances overall (ex: pressing triangle to get on your house but accidentally choking a guy and getting the law on you). Stuff like that really is annoying, but there was so much good stuff, and so many great shootouts, and so many incredible chapter endings, and watching the 

Spoiler

camp go from partying to tense to dissolving stuck with me big. It's just amazing to watch the gang's end happen in real time.

Gonna go wrap a few things up and then off to Astro Bot, most likely.

Man, the Easter Eggs in this game are insane. The owners of Emerald Ranch, for example, the owner and the daughter who never leaves who you can see through the window, the UFO, the ghost, the killer in Saint Denis you can find if you find his messages, speaking to

Spoiler

gang members

around the map after finishing the story... nice.

Hell, there's that side thing where the two friendly people try to drug you and rob you of your money. First, other people around the map reference these two, which is cool. Then, you can 

Spoiler

take the woman to momma's grave after hog-tying her, and she reacts to it.

2 hours ago, SaysWho? said:

Don't skip around the video. Watch it beginning to end. It goes through so many funny easter eggs that make this entire encounter amazing.

I have something similar happen to me on my game.  I stole a raccoon hat from a guy in Valentine's saloon and he will constantly chase me every time he repawns.  Its hilarious.

• 2 weeks later...

This has probably been discussed in the big thread but I was too lazy to find it. I don’t have proof, but it seems like you have to really go out of your way to smack into trees / wagons / etc now and fall off your horse. 

I got to a point in the game now where everything is clicking - optional open world stuff working nicely with the story missions. I would say if you fell off the game but like Arthur as a character you owe it to yourself to stick with it. 

But yeah anyway you don’t crash as easy now if that’s appealing to anyone. 

That was the weird part in my journeys, hehe.

I spent... I dunno how many hours in that world, but once the game clicked for me, it really just clicked. I loved exploring the world a lot, and once I got the hang of Dead Eye, I was having some major fun in the game, especially in some of the bigger missions.

Some scenes in the game are going to stick with me for quite some time, too.

• Like 1