Red Dead Redemption II | Official Thread of Shrinking Equine Testicles

Commissar SFLUFAN

• 4 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Pikachu said:

While I know that "sold-in" is the relevant metric for publisher revenue, I would always prefer if it was accompanied by the allowance against that revenue for the inevitable unsold units that are inevitably returned by the retailer channels.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 10 months later...
9 minutes ago, Dodger said:

I started playing it again a couple months ago and got into chapter 6. I need to get back in and finish it. I told myself I was going to go for the 100%, but that probably isn't going to happen. 

When I think of my favorite stories from this generation, this game is up there with TLOU2 (for completely different reasons). I understand the complaints from people who disliked the game; they all make sense to me. But I loved it.

1 minute ago, SaysWho? said:

When I think of my favorite stories from this generation, this game is up there with TLOU2 (for completely different reasons). I understand the complaints from people who disliked the game; they all make sense to me. But I loved it.

I really enjoyed it playing it again, much more than I did the first time. Yeah the game has a lot of problems in the gameplay department, but the world and environment are just so good if you just let yourself get lost in it all for me it makes up for the gameplay shortcomings. 

• 2 weeks later...

So, I, uhhh, have always been morbidly curious about the Red Dead Redemption series, having never played them. I know they are critically acclaimed and that the second one is very divisive. I have not read this thread but I have just finished watching a 4K Xbox One X enhanced version of the first game all the way through (all cutscenes, etc.) and it was weirdly very compelling! I haven't really played any Rockstar Game, not even Bully or LA Noire or anything, just the old Grand Theft Auto games, so Rockstar Games means little to me here in terms of brand.

So I went and finished off all of my unfinished games and downloaded and started the second game (a prequel, it would seem, taking place 12 years earlier) on PC. Got all the settings sorted out and it looks gorgeous in 4K at 60fps, even if I can't get all the settings to max. I know the PC release last December was controversial (to say the least) but after reading an article or two and futzing around more than I usually do for a game on PC it really does look fucking amazing.

I play slowly, but I'm currently just starting Act II. The whole game is lovely so far, really enjoying the atmosphere, graphics, music, etc. All looks like an extension of the first game, based on what I saw in the video for that one. Not sure what the complaints are about yet, seems like an intense, hugely open world, very customizable game, with almost too much depth as there seems to be a lot to keep track of. But I wanted a game that made me really feel like I'm in a dying version of the old West, and too much depth certainly helps with that. Anyways, I'm eager to see more and see where my thoughts match with others. I like interesting failures more than safe successes, and I recently loved the likes of Death Stranding, Final Fantasy VII Remake, and The Last of Us Part II, so my opinion probably counts for very little here. I could see a version of myself playing the game where I just enjoy hunting, for instance. But I'm in it for the story. :p 

39 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

So, I, uhhh, have always been morbidly curious about the Red Dead Redemption series, having never played them. I know they are critically acclaimed and that the second one is very divisive. I have not read this thread but I have just finished watching a 4K Xbox One X enhanced version of the first game all the way through (all cutscenes, etc.) and it was weirdly very compelling! I haven't really played any Rockstar Game, not even Bully or LA Noire or anything, just the old Grand Theft Auto games, so Rockstar Games means little to me here in terms of brand.

So I went and finished off all of my unfinished games and downloaded and started the second game (a prequel, it would seem, taking place 12 years earlier) on PC. Got all the settings sorted out and it looks gorgeous in 4K at 60fps, even if I can't get all the settings to max. I know the PC release last December was controversial (to say the least) but after reading an article or two and futzing around more than I usually do for a game on PC it really does look fucking amazing.

I play slowly, but I'm currently just starting Act II. The whole game is lovely so far, really enjoying the atmosphere, graphics, music, etc. All looks like an extension of the first game, based on what I saw in the video for that one. Not sure what the complaints are about yet, seems like an intense, hugely open world, very customizable game, with almost too much depth as there seems to be a lot to keep track of. But I wanted a game that made me really feel like I'm in a dying version of the old West, and too much depth certainly helps with that. Anyways, I'm eager to see more and see where my thoughts match with others. I like interesting failures more than safe successes, and I recently loved the likes of Death Stranding, Final Fantasy VII Remake, and The Last of Us Part II, so my opinion probably counts for very little here. I could see a version of myself playing the game where I just enjoy hunting, for instance. But I'm in it for the story. :p 

Most of the complaints center around the controls and the overall game interface which are definitely a bit on the clunky side to say the least. Also some people don't like the general gameplay as it has that Rockstar TPS control scheme going that a lot of people don't like. But I really enjoyed playing it again, other than there is a ton of shit to do to 100% the game. I'm in chapter 6, I really need to get this finished. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Greatoneshere said:

As @Dodger said the terrible controls are a big part ,the shallow mechanics, its an open world game with missions that arent open, with some mind numbing choice by the Devs. There is an arbitrary time limit that the game decides to remove your rifles and stow them on your horse, so if you get ambushed or jump off in a hurry you have no rifles. Wanna see what kind of ammo you need to restock while your in camp, nope you cant see the ammo inventory while in camp. Its a very pretty fun house that once you have ridden it a few times you can see the scares coming.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, SimpleG said:

As @Dodger said the terrible controls are a big part ,the shallow mechanics, its an open world game with missions that arent open, with some mind numbing choice by the Devs. There is an arbitrary time limit that the game decides to remove your rifles and stow them on your horse, so if you get ambushed or jump off in a hurry you have no rifles. Wanna see what kind of ammo you need to restock while your in camp, nope you cant see the ammo inventory while in camp. Its a very pretty fun house that once you have ridden it a few times you can see the scares coming.

Makes sense, but complicated games are going to have, to some degree, clunky controls. I've already experienced it, but at least so far it's completely outweighed by all the other things the game does well. But going to keep an eye. Could get cumbersome, but I handled Death Stranding so . . . :p 

23 hours ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

It just wasn't fun and I like Rockstar games and really liked the first RDR.

But Death Stranding also looks horribly boring to me.

This. The first was one of my favourite games of last gen, and I really disliked tbis one. 

it’s pretty, but that’s it. It has so many messed up flaws and BS that I just can’t get into it.

• Thanks 1

Ten hours in and while I'm playing super slowly (intentionally, I only jump in to play at night) it's like a virtual, single-player MMO Westworld. You really are in the old dying West. It's Fallout combined with a third person shooter, combined with Shenmue level detail and interactions combined with Sims/Animal Crossing level life-simulation game, but all with amazing production values, graphics, and music to sell it all to adults. The game is also often incredibly relaxing to play, with gentle Western music playing while you ride around in beautiful graphics with the sun setting on the barren horizon.

I get why this game is divisive, but I imagine the life simulator game playing group love this game? Sometimes I just jump in to shave, change my clothes, ride my horse to hunt, do a bounty, talk to people around the camp, and go to sleep, save, quit. I feel no pressure to get anything or everything done since, well, the game is simply too vast and too big for that, so I've made peace with just doing what I feel like, and it's pretty liberating (I assume this is what MMO/Second Life/Sims/Animal Cross/Harvest Moon-type players feel like? As I don't normally play that style of game). 

But the divisiveness makes sense. It's a very meticulous game where you have to account for every little thing almost all the time (the "too boring" and "too realistic" complaints, which I can see is valid depending on what you're playing this game for). As a huge Shenmue fan, I love it, but what's better, by comparison this is a real game with much more narrative thrust, more fun things to do, and better production values. I literally walked into town, which was doing its own thing, did a bounty, hunted a bear, bought some new clothes, got to camp, and one character was already into a long story at the campire while another wanted me to play Five Finger Fillet with them, and I hadn't even read the newest journal entry or newspaper yet. I grabbed a beer, listened to the campfire story from Pearson, then played Five Finger Fillet (a full fucking minigame within this game, where apparently everything has a minigame impressively) with Lenny. 

I have to put in more time, but I am summarily impressed. Why people are even bothering with Star Citizen (except the pull of sci-fi and other players) when this level of meticulous game playing already exists in this game is surprising to me. Rockstar, if nothing else, certainly made a game with unparalleled fucking depth with production values and graphics never before seen. Usually you are trading one off for the other, but not here seemingly.

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, best3444 said:

I'm currently playing through this again right now. I'm taking my time soaking in all the details in the world. It’s pretty remarkable how good this game looks on the Xbox X.

On 1/14/2019 at 6:34 PM, Biggie said:

I deleted it off my PS4. Never to return. 

Look At Us Paul Rudd GIF

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Moa said:

So I picked this game up on a steam sale a few days ago and just got into act 3. You clowns spent more time arguing about brushing your horse than you actually spend on it in game.

To be fair, they could've typed up most of these replies in-between pressing a button and waiting for their character to do something.

• Guillotine 1

43 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

To be fair, they could've typed up most of these replies in-between pressing a button and waiting for their character to do something.

I've definitely done some chores while auto-riding from place to place in cinematic mode. 

I'm having a difficult time finding legendary animals via the map they provide you. It's so much more condensed that it's very difficult to find the area on the in-game map. 

I spent 3 hours yesterday looking for a legendary animal that wasn't where the map they give you said it was. No big deal overall because I really enjoy exploring the world. I love this game. 

20 hours ago, best3444 said:

I'm having a difficult time finding legendary animals via the map they provide you. It's so much more condensed that it's very difficult to find the area on the in-game map. 

I spent 3 hours yesterday looking for a legendary animal that wasn't where the map they give you said it was. No big deal overall because I really enjoy exploring the world. I love this game. 

I believe you find footprints/droppings in that area and then use that to track where the animal is.

12 hours ago, BlueAngel said:

Where did you find them at? I'm West of Strawberry right now but not having any luck.

Yea, I'm north west of Strawberry. An icon of a cougar will show up. They are not very active at all!

2 hours ago, SaysWho? said:

I believe you find footprints/droppings in that area and then use that to track where the animal is.

You first have to get a notification on screen that you've entered legendary animal territory. Then a white ? appears and that's when you begin to track them.