What is a memeory you have that you assume is false but you have no idea what the truth of it is?

Bacon

Mine is back in elementary school where during lunch I went to the restroom and on one of the toilets there was an extremely long turd around the whole toilet seat, in one solid piece. with a small portion hanging off.

Like this:

8b9fe7fb8f8227a2d59ca8e634ced7e1.png

Such a long and intact turd seems impossible, and having it go around the whole seat seems even less likely. Yet this is the image I have in my memories.

When I was in boot camp, there was one time one of the guys made a poop like that. He was astonished and got everyone to go and see. It really was a turd that wrapped around the toilet and popped over the water at the end. MREs do weird things to your poop when they're pretty much all you eat.

There, uh.. isn't much room for amusement in boot camp. You take what you can get.

But who's to say that even happened anymore? That was 12 years ago.

Human memories are pretty bad. There's a pretty famous study that basically asked people "where were you when 9/11 happened" starting immediately after the event happened, and within a year something like a third of participants remembered it wrong.

That's one of the reasons there's a growing movement to make eyewitness testimony inadmissible in court. We suck at remembering things unless they happened like yesterday. (The other reason eyewitness testimony might be made inadmissible is because people straight up make shit up all the time, for all sorts of reasons)

• 3 weeks later...