More LOTR in the works for the big screen

MCDHOBB_EC020.jpg?w=1024
DEADLINE.COM

New ‘Lord of The Rings’ movies are in the works thanks to an agreement between New Line, Warner Bros Pictures and Embracer Group.

Curious if they're going to mine other parts of the lore or just remake a movie that one a million Oscars.

Zaslav has mentioned in previous calls the need for more franchises on the big screen.

Fucking die you dumb fucking ass.

I can think of few cinematic endeavors more futile than trying to redo the Lord of the Rings trilogy.

There is no way to match, let alone improve upon, the trilogy. It was lightning in a bottle. The perfect cast, at the perfect time, in the perfect situation.

I am trying to think of an analogy to express how bad of an idea it would be.....but I think LotR IS that analogy. There is literally nothing that would be a worse idea to try to remake.....

13 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

So long as you don't remake the original LOTR trilogy, given how good Rings of Power turned out to be I'm down. Leave The Hobbit alone too, while not a great trilogy it's been done and it syncs with the LOTR trilogy well enough.

Yeah, that's the problem with the Hobbit. It's a relatively easier target to hit, but it's continuity with LotR makes it hard to try to match on a Tolkien playlist. Having Ian McKellen as Gandalf alone makes it a tough nut to crack.....

I think what you could do with the Hobbit is just do a complete departure from tone, style, and content of PJ's trilogy. Since the trilogy departed quite a bit from the book to be in line with LotR, circle back around and make a movie more in line with the book. Make a more whimsical and almost fairytale-ish version of the Hobbit. Make it one movie(as so many critics of the trilogy claimed it should have been). I can see the Hobbit, as a single "fun" film not replacing PJ's trilogy in a Tolkien rewatch.....but being a fun, quick side trip. Not to say that I would be particularly hyped for it, but I see it as at least a more feasible goal. And certainly more attainable than, say, a Lord of the Rings remake featuring Chris Pratt and Tom Hollins as Aragorn and Frodo :lol:

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Chairslinger said:

Yeah, that's the problem with the Hobbit. It's a relatively easier target to hit, but it's continuity with LotR makes it hard to try to match on a Tolkien playlist. Having Ian McKellen as Gandalf alone makes it a tough nut to crack.....

I think what you could do with the Hobbit is just do a complete departure from tone, style, and content of PJ's trilogy. Since the trilogy departed quite a bit from the book to be in line with LotR, circle back around and make a movie more in line with the book. Make a more whimsical and almost fairytale-ish version of the Hobbit. Make it one movie(as so many critics of the trilogy claimed it should have been). I can see the Hobbit, as a single "fun" film not replacing PJ's trilogy in a Tolkien rewatch.....but being a fun, quick side trip. Not to say that I would be particularly hyped for it, but I see it as at least a more feasible goal. And certainly more attainable than, say, a Lord of the Rings remake featuring Chris Pratt and Tom Hollins as Aragorn and Frodo :lol:

You willed this into the universe and now it's going to happen. Thanks a lot :|

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Ricofoley said:

Call up Del Toro and see if he still wants to make his version of The Hobbit

26 minutes ago, ort said:

Remake the hobbit.

20 minutes ago, Chairslinger said:

I think what you could do with the Hobbit is just do a complete departure from tone, style, and content of PJ's trilogy. Since the trilogy departed quite a bit from the book to be in line with LotR, circle back around and make a movie more in line with the book. Make a more whimsical and almost fairytale-ish version of the Hobbit. Make it one movie(as so many critics of the trilogy claimed it should have been).  

Del Toro is in the middle of a stop-motion run. A high budget stop-motion animated Hobbit could be magical. 

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, TheLeon said:

I think this has to be a new story and not doing the main books again. I’m trying to imagine the massive balls one would need to look at the LOTR trilogy and thing “yeah, we could do that a lot better now”. 

Thing is, in my opinion, they legitimately could do better and it wouldn't matter. People love the original trilogy too much, they'd almost never accept a new one regardless of quality. 

I think the only time a remake could ever work, at minimum, is when all of us that grew up with the original are 70 or 80, and the younger audiences don't have the emotional attachment to the movies that we do. 

19 hours ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

a movie that one

*won :p

:kiss:

Anyway, while there is definitely room for improvement in the original trilogy (particularly where SFX are concerned but also narratively), I have less than no faith in modern Hollywood's ability or even willingness to actually have any remake be a net improvement. And not just them either as Rangz of Powah has shown. Then again, I never understood the sentiment of shit remakes "ruining" the originals so if they wanna piss away a billion dollars, let them do it. The only downside I can think of is potentially making the material "toxic" to investors, thereby decreasing the likelihood of another, proper remake being attempted any time soon.