Manga/manwha/comic/BD discussion thread

Demut

Didn't see a thread for this kind of content yet so here goes:

Apparently Araki plans do keep drawing JoJo until he dies. Part 9 released today and for some reason it features power-tripping police, the Coof, a tranny and sexual harassment, all in the very first chapter.

spacer.png

Sounds like Araki might've spend a bit too much time on Twitter during the most recent hiatus.

Anyhow, I'm not too sure I'll follow this actively. I'll probably read it should it ever be completed but unless this has a consistent weekly release schedule I can't be arsed to add yet another title to the 80+ ongoing manga that I'm trying to keep track of.

I think it was some time last year that I started reading is*kai (despite the vast, vast majority of them being complete, utter, irredeemable garbage) simply to kill some time. Can't say I'm glad to have made that decision. Now they clog up my feed and half the time I don't even end up reading the latest chapter because I've more or less forgotten their story in the meantime. There's a few good ones here and there such as The Wolf Won't Sleep but the Nips with their eternally shit taste had that cancelled, of course.

On a different note, more recently I got into Nihei's work.

spacer.png

I had heard of BLAME and its unusual setting (both plot- and art-wise) many years ago, naturally, but never actually read it until now. I also did not know that he was such a prolific artist and put out this many other manga. While I definitely enjoy his work overall, they all feel strangely melancholic so far, even when there's a supposedly happy ending. Maybe melancholic is even too upbeat of a word. Depressing is only a slightly too strong.

14 hours ago, Bacon said:

sis, your power level is leaking

anyway, I only read SoL, romance, and isekai(+harem) manga to fill the void in my soul

Fluff romance/SoL manga is the best kind of serotonin drop. I'm very sad that Aharen-san is Indecipherable is coming to an end pretty soon. That manga, as well as the anime, is way more fun than it had any right to be.

Another favorite in that specific genre is She is Also Cute Today. That one has been on break for like a year now, though. I hope it being very gay wasn't too much for China. 

13 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

I hope it being very gay

I only read heterosexual manga with male protagonists so I can self-insert into all the things I missed out on like getting teleported to another world.

I do read Aharen-san. It is very good. When I stared reading it I thought it was going to be about how crazy Aharen-san is. Instead, it was a manga about the most delusional main character that ever could have existed. Every "snap back to reality" moment when the MC's mind has gone too far is great.

My favorite SoL Romance manga right now is Super no Ura de Yani Suu Hanashi/A Story About Smoking at the Back of the Supermarket because it isn't about fucking highschoolers or middleschoolers.

29 minutes ago, Bacon said:

I only read heterosexual manga with male protagonists so I can self-insert into all the things I missed out on like getting teleported to another world.

I do read Aharen-san. It is very good. When I stared reading it I thought it was going to be about how crazy Aharen-san is. Instead, it was a manga about the most delusional main character that ever could have existed. Every "snap back to reality" moment when the MC's mind has gone too far is great.

My favorite SoL Romance manga right now is Super no Ura de Yani Suu Hanashi/A Story About Smoking at the Back of the Supermarket because it isn't about fucking highschoolers or middleschoolers.

If you don't want high schoolers, go read Telework Yotabanashi. It's fantastic. I dare you to find something sexier than an Excel spreadsheet...

qbOpUk0.jpeg

I appreciate that my dude here blocking off 12 hours for weekend gaming.

I'm currently reading Kengan Omega on a weekly basis.

latest?cb=20190307133717
KENGANVERSE.FANDOM.COM

Kengan Omega (ケンガンオメガ) is a Japanese manga series written by Sandrovich Yabako and illustrated by Daromeon and the sequel to Kengan Ashura. Beginning two years after the game-changing Kengan Annihilation Tournament on Ganryu Island, we follow the paths of aspiring fighter Koga Narushima and the...

• 4 weeks later...

@Bacon Even though you may not want to deal with high schoolers, I think I'm still going to recommend Yancha Gal no Anjou-san. A romance slice of life where people actually talk to one another? Where there aren't any dumb love triangles and the side characters all have their own motivations? If it helps, it's not actually a shonen series and runs in the seinan magazine, Young King.

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Bacon said:

Japan was like " So I heard you Americans are tired of us dragging out the romance so we collectively decided to end every romance series at the same time"

Telework Yotabanashi, done. Kaguya-sama Love is War, done. Konojo mo Kanojo, done in the next 4 chapters. Aharen-san is Indecipherable, done. Kubo Won't Let Me Be Invisible, done. Meika-san Can't Conceal Her Emotions, done.

Really does feel like a bunch of romance manga just finished up in the past month or two.

Couple stuff is fun too. Aharen-san was nearly all couple stuff, and now we're denied the fun of parent stuff outside of a couple of epilogue chapters.

Couldn't tell ya what he should get ya. I've never been into owning books I couldn't read. Well, maybe you can read japanese idk. Only thing I'd be looking for is physical exclusives that have value in being scanned. No idea about games either. Pretty much roms of everything if there are still physical copies.

1 hour ago, skillzdadirecta said:

On topic... a buddy of mine is in Japan right now and offered to bring me some manga that is unavailable anywhere else from there. Any thing I should ask for him to bring? same with games. are games still region locked?

Best thing to get that aren't readily available or easy to buy outside of Japan are doujinshi. Had a friend a few years back had to Japan and she picked me up this great doujin of Saitama from One Punch Man fighting Goku. The art was legitimately great. As far as games go, just see if there's a nice collector's edition of a game you already like that never made it outside of Japan. The Americas kind of suck when it comes to collectors edition games compared to Japanese editions from Japanese publishers. Still, those, aren't impossible to find online these days.

• Halal 1

@skillzdadirecta, you up for some fun, I can kick holes in mountains martial arts?

7Gosu_mobile_landingpage.jpg?type=crop54
WWW.WEBTOONS.COM

When his master dies, Gang Yong pledges to avenge his teacher at all costs. After training his martial arts skills in seclusion, Gang Yong sets off to hunt down the traitors and make them pay! But when he...

This series is so, so good. It completed a few years ago after a very long hiatus thanks to the author having some health issues. It is, technically, a sequel to Yongbi The Invincible.

WWW.GOODREADS.COM

Yongbi the Invincible Book 1, Yongbi the Invincible Book 2, Yongbi the Invincible Book 3, Yongbi, tome 4, Yongbi 5, Yongbi the Invincible Book 6, Yongbi...

However, it's more of a series that just happens to take place some decades later in the same universe with a few older characters making a cameo or two. Yongbi is not required reading, even if I do also really like Yongbi.

I mention it because I am very excited over the news that Gosu is getting animated.

gosu.jpg
WWW.ANIMENEWSNETWORK.COM

Toei Animation, Naver Webtoons subsidiary Studio N adapt Giun Ryu, Mun Jeong Hoo's action comic

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

I've been at my parent's house for the last month and a half after helping them buy a new house and moving them in and I got a lot of my old comics out of storage. Finally scanning them into a cataloguing app and evaluating what my collection is worth and came across a bunch of old Chinese Manhua comics I bought in the late 80's as a kid. This was one of my favorites

Lung_Fu_Muhn_288.jpg
EN.WIKIPEDIA.ORG

Mind you this was shortly BEFORE the Japanese anime and manga boom of the 90's... I think at this point Marvel had just started adapting Akira and anothe publisher was putting out Fist of the North Star and that was pretty much it. I wouldn't discover Dragon Ballz until a few years later. Jademan comics put the english translations of this comic and several others out and I have most of them. Been on a mission to track down the English versions of the others I don't have. Unfortunately the series picks up in the middle and ends abruptly when they stop publishing. This particualr comic has been around since the freaking 70's!

• Halal 1

• 2 months later...

No idea if it'll be any good, but I can at least say it'll be pretty. Boichi (Dr Stone, Sun-Ken Rock) is providing the art for a new series over on Webtoons...

9SuperString-MPTTM_Landingpage_Mobile.jp
WWW.WEBTOONS.COM

As the eldest son of the Polo family, Marco is striving to provide for his younger siblings. After a strange and unfortunate shipwreck, Marco finds himself in Asia, a place he was warned never to visit. Soon he realizes he is at the cusp of an unexpected journey where he will have to choose between protecting his family or saving the world.

This is part of the Super String universe. This series supposedly will feature some reoccurring characters, but nothing that'll distract a new reader. I do hope that is the case because I don't read much Super String stuff.

I really do love his art...

ETnGjnu.png

• 1 month later...

So, there's a new series that's only two chapters in but had already made it into the top five most popular Shonen Jump. Just skipped right on by My Hero Academia and the time skipped Boruto.

WWW.VIZ.COM

The world's most popular manga! Read free or become a member. Start your free trial today! | Kagurabachi - Chihiro's cursed past sends him down a quest of...

Series is very new with all chapters, including the simulpub releases being completely free. The third chapter his on Sunday.

I really like vibe this series has going for it. The era feels like 1960s Japan, but the Yakuza work for wizards and the lead is hunting down some dudes that stole his father's magical katanas. Sounds like gibberish, but it absolutely works. First series for the author, so let's see how he does.