Fast X trailer

6 minutes ago, Derek said:

Too bad Mr. Diesel and Mr. Rock had a dick measuring contest. It would've been nice to see them both in the end, but this looks fun. I'll probably catch it on an FX Fast and Furious Marathon in a few years.

It is too bad. I used to think that Vin Diesel must be the whiny bitch one, but after hearing a few more stories about Dwayne Johnson over the years, I'm convinced they're both babies.

Like the reason it took so long to make a movie as The Rock as Black Adam (he was originally going to play Black Adam in a Superman movie like 12 years ago) was because his star blew up and now he literally won't take movie roles if he isn't the main character and/or the "alpha" in a buddy cop movie. Dude has an ego as big as his pecs.

... 'cuz like... he has really big pecs...

I don't know, I think the first 2 F&F movies are some of the most rewatchable, dumb action movies ever made. They were dumb then, and they're dumb now, but they exist both as perfectly preserved early-00's zeitgeist as well as stand on their own because they just take plots that other movies have done and make them about cars. F&F 1? Point Break with cars. F&F 2? Miami Vice with cars. F&F 3? Karate Kid with cars.  F&F 5? Ocean's Eleven with cars.

Starting with F&F 6, they abandoned the "beat-for-beat plots of great movies, but made dumb and with cars" formula that worked so well, and they started to lose me a bit. I've been less and less excited for each one since. I don't even think I watched the last one in theaters.

• Haha 1
  • True 1

I agree. I also used to think that Mr. Diesel was the main diva in that fued, but after the Black Adam business, I no longer think that. Which is a shame because I loved Mr. Johnson's on-screen charisma and a big part of that was because I thought he was a decent fellow outside of the movies. I had been rooting for him since Scorpian King and The Rundown.

On 2/11/2023 at 2:00 AM, Derek said:

I agree. I also used to think that Mr. Diesel was the main diva in that fued, but after the Black Adam business, I no longer think that. Which is a shame because I loved Mr. Johnson's on-screen charisma and a big part of that was because I thought he was a decent fellow outside of the movies. I had been rooting for him since Scorpian King and The Rundown.

Diesel works with a lot of other stars and when all that came out unlike Johnson who made a big stink he tried to play it down.

Honestly the only enjoyable part of the trailer was the motorbike stepover..

I thought the pulling helicopters and airdrop were the top of the cheese for this one…apparently not… he drives the Charger down the face of a dam…. its a step below the tarzan swing in 9 (the only one I truly consider awful)

• 2 months later...

This series has had diminishing returns after Paul Walker's death. In retrospect he really was the glue holding together this weird "family" unit and in his absence it has never felt the same. I enjoyed 8 well enough but I kinda hated 9, and on paper I should have nothing but loved it because they went to fucking space.

I listen to Devin Faraci's podcast (remember him?), and he revealed a scoop that The Rock will be in the post-credits stinger for X and is slated to return for 11. According to his scoop he asked to return because his past few movies haven't done that well, especially Black Adam, and he's looking for another big movie. Regardless of your thoughts on Devin Faraci as a person, he still is in touch with several reliable sources his scoops generally pan out. He was the first to break the rumor that Superman was in the post-credit stinger for Black Adam, as a recent example.

• True 1

• 4 weeks later...

It's surprising, this movie must still have a lot of Justin Lin DNA because he's still credited as co-story writer, co-screenplay writer, and producer despite being fired as director two weeks into filming. There's also talk of not just making a Fast 11, but a Fast 12 to close things out as a trilogy.

Also, perhaps these movies are worse because Chris Morgan isn't writing them anymore? He wrote Fast movies 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, and 8 along with Hobbs & Shaw and most Fast and Furious fans and critics score 5, 6, and 7 pretty well and then 8 and Hobbs & Shaw are considered dumber and more over the top but still pretty good (which I would agree with). Then he's basically let go from the franchise and Justin Lin co-wrote F9 and Fast X. I actually enjoyed F9 since it explored Dom's backstory and that backstory was well done for a Fast and Furious film, but its clear audiences preferred the way Chris Morgan wrote things over the way Justin Lin has done it these past two movies because most everything else in terms of a revolving chair of directors but the same cast and crew has been that way since Justin Lin left the franchise for a bit after Fast 6 before coming back for Fast 9 after Fast 8 and Hobbs & Shaw released.

Something feels missing ever since Paul Walker died. He truly was the glue that held together the family. There is virtually no comradery and familial vibe anymore, except maybe between Luda and Tyreese. Even though I enjoyed Fate more than most they really should have wrapped it up with 7. Maybe I'm feeling the loss of Chris Morgan because I did not like F9 at all.

On 5/19/2023 at 10:05 AM, Kamusha said:

Something feels missing ever since Paul Walker died. He truly was the glue that held together the family. There is virtually no comradery and familial vibe anymore, except maybe between Luda and Tyreese. Even though I enjoyed Fate more than most they really should have wrapped it up with 7. Maybe I'm feeling the loss of Chris Morgan because I did not like F9 at all.

to me 8 was one too far, it was saved because Statham and Rock chemistry… 9 is when it officially jumped into the “Transformers” territory for me where there is just tons of very well made spectacle but its so soulless that its actually boring..

I guess with this movie the “entertainment” news outlets have finally moved into we will post movie spoilers as the headlines to draw clicks.. i was just doing a normal showtimes search and found 3 of the biggest “surprises” spoiled on blurb headlines..

• 2 weeks later...

Supposedly Vin Disel is pissed at Jason Momoa now for stealing his Thunder

fast-x-fan-theories.jpg
WWW.CBR.COM

Despite his lauded performance in Fast X, Jason Momoa is reportedly facing criticism from star Vin Diesel amid the film's mixed critical reviews.

How insecure is this guy?

8 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

fast-x-fan-theories.jpg
WWW.CBR.COM

Despite his lauded performance in Fast X, Jason Momoa is reportedly facing criticism from star Vin Diesel amid the film's mixed critical reviews.

For real. These movies have become a lot bigger than him. The first 5 or 6 movies I’ve seen a couple times. 7 and up I watch them once and forget about them.   I’ve found Vin Diesel’s performance to be more boring as time goes on. 

1 hour ago, skillzdadirecta said:

fast-x-fan-theories.jpg
WWW.CBR.COM

typically it's the villains that end up being the most interesting characters...and in Fast X while I can't say i was a fan of Jason's performance or his character in general, he was definitely over the top so yes he is going to be more interesting than the character we've seen for the previous 9 films 

I'm actually going to do a brief serious breakdown of the franchise, which is... Well, dumb, but I agree that it lost something when Paul walker died. 

Paul Walker's character is the only character that actually, like, grows and changes throughout the movies. His character was flawed. He made mistakes. His character is what kept the movies "grounded" (lol)

Every other character is either a cartoon or it's like "last movie I was BAD, but now I'm GOOD, chuck me a Corona!" Or vise -versa.

• True 1

I wish there was video of Vin’s super weird speech from Cinemacon, and Chris Sarandon from Paramount the next day mocking Vin’s super weird speech 😂

18 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Was this this year? What did he say???

This year, yeah. Just imagine if @unogueen gave a speech as Vin about the Fast franchise and you’ll be on the right track. A mashup up of real words that amounts to something no human can comprehend. He went completely off the teleprompter speech, pausing in between each sentences for what felt like an eternity, just sorta staring out over the crowd with this weird grin.

The Paramount guy literally quoted one of the weird sentences Vin kept repeating during his speech, and a very nervous laughter went over the room 😂

4 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

This year, yeah. Just imagine if @unogueen gave a speech as Vin about the Fast franchise and you’ll be on the right track. A mashup up of real words that amounts to something no human can comprehend. He went completely off the teleprompter speech, pausing in between each sentences for what felt like an eternity, just sorta staring out over the crowd with this weird grin.

The Paramount guy literally quoted one of the weird sentences Vin kept repeating during his speech, and a very nervous laughter went over the room 😂

There HAS to be video of it somwhere in this day and age.

• 3 weeks later...

So I saw Fast X now that it's on streaming (weird everyone keeps saying it as Fast Ecks when it's clearly Fast roman numeral 10?). It was similar to F9, which is no surprise since both films were co-written by Justin Lin. Like F9 creating an actual, character-based meaningful backstory for Dom and his family as a kid, Fast X does the same thing by deepening some of the actions and history of Fast Five. I enjoyed Jason Momoa as the villain, one thing Fast movies have done well so far is make each villain/anti-hero that faces off against Dom be different: Hobbs, Owen Shaw, Deckard Shaw, Charlize Theron (Cipher), John Cena and now Jason Momoa, who brings a lot of levity, silliness, and fun from the villain side to the Fast franchise, which it sorely needs. The film otherwise is enjoyable enough but like F9 these movies are missing some of the bigger ensemble character interplay and better dialogue writing (in terms of fun and funny) that screenwriter Chris Morgan used to bring to the table before he was booted off of the Fast franchise after Fast 8 and Hobbs & Shaw. 

It's more Fast and Furious. Dom's status increasing to near mythical/saintly levels is both commented on within the movie itself and getting ridiculous, but it's all still enjoyable enough. Dom's son Little Brian participating with his Uncle John Cena in joyously murdering dudes in other cars with rocket launchers is where the film lost me, as the juxtaposition of a little child laughing along with his uncle as they are killing people is some cognitive dissonance that I had when creatures were getting massacred at the end of Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania and Paul Rudd's teenage daughter is seeing sentient creatures slaughtered but it's all played for fun/laughs and she has no PTSD or anything. We raked Man of Steel over the coals for a neophyte Superman not protecting and saving lives as he was getting his ass handed to him by a powerful alien military general. This all seems much worse.

Anyways, F9 and Fast X are clearly the worst received ones in the franchise. I'm not sure why as to me it all seems more of the same, just the formula is getting tired. We're allegedly on the last one or two of these, so I'm hoping they close this all out soon because I think it's time. Fast X ends on a couple of cliff hangers which are intentionally meant to set up the next film which was originally supposed to be shot back to back with this one so that's a first. Now they're talking about a Fast 12 so whatever.

3 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

So I saw Fast X now that it's on streaming (weird everyone keeps saying it as Fast Ecks when it's clearly Fast roman numeral 10?).

Because we’re 20+ years into this franchise and it’s the first time they’ve used a Roman numeral. The wild naming of this franchise has been a joke from the first sequel, so you might as well just pronounce the X. :p

• True 1

I actually enjoyed X more than 8 & 9, most of the credit going to Momoa for that

The Cena bit was pretty stupid but at least it was fun

Its just amazing how super allergic Vin Diesel is to his costars.. just spending the bare minimum amount of time around them.. that the plots are designed to keep him alone is so blatant an obvious (8 was peak on this)..

the stakes have never been higher even as “death” is shown not to be permanent yet again lol

• Halal 1

• 5 months later...