Flash season 9 premier—and last Arrowverse season premier ever—tonight (2/8) at 8 Eastern

Jason

4 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

Is Superman and Lois just... not part of the Arrowverse officially now?

Yep. That's what that super kludgy line from Sam at the end of the Superman and Lois season 2 finale about "Superman is the only hero on this Earth" was all about, retconning the show into a different Earth. It seems like the showrunners realized the Arrowverse was a sinking ship after the Legends and Batwoman cancelations and that it was best for the long term survival of S&L to pull the cord on the connection. 

4 hours ago, Jason said:

Yep. That's what that super kludgy line from Sam at the end of the Superman and Lois season 2 finale about "Superman is the only hero on this Earth" was all about, retconning the show into a different Earth. It seems like the showrunners realized the Arrowverse was a sinking ship after the Legends and Batwoman cancelations and that it was best for the long term survival of S&L to pull the cord on the connection. 

What a world. 

4 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

What a world. 

I could forgive Diggle's S&L season 1 appearance name dropping Oliver given the show was indeed originally supposed to be in the Arrowverse and the retcon decision wasn't made until season 2 and it was COVID that messed up the planned crossover, but it was definitely very confusing that they had what was apparently supposed to be the same Diggle as always in the same episode as that retcon. IIRC he was even in the very next scene after the retcon line. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

lmao they seriously did a fucking Nia episode in the middle of the 13 episode final season

Like if you're gonna do this kind of episode at least grab Sara from Legends instead of someone from the show that got to do its last season knowing it was their last season. 

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Kal-El814 said:

Fire away.

Okay, what I wanted to share is shamelessly stealing a couple of comments from reddit but I saw them and immediately thought of you:

Okay I haven't actually finished the episode yet but I had to wonder if everyone's commenting on this hilarious exchange:

Ramsey: "He's been living with your father... pawing at your sister!"

Wally to Barry: "You were living my life!"

Then a reply:

Yeah I lol'd so hard. He even paused to consider it before he said it

6 hours ago, Jason said:

Okay, what I wanted to share is shamelessly stealing a couple of comments from reddit but I saw them and immediately thought of you:

Then a reply:

I did have the same exact thought and noticed Wally's hesitation.

I also don't know why I thought it was so funny that Oliver cured Bloodwork's HLH, but I did. "Oh shit my HLH, I'm going to die!" "Nah you're cured but like you're going to die in prison much later now I guess." I thought a lot of the "meta" shit here was funny, like them essentially saying, "Oh yeah Diggle that wasn't a Green Lantern ring, that was just a trick," followed immediately by Oliver saying part of the Green Lantern oath. Pick a lane. :p

On 4/28/2023 at 4:52 AM, Kal-El814 said:

I did have the same exact thought and noticed Wally's hesitation.

I also don't know why I thought it was so funny that Oliver cured Bloodwork's HLH, but I did. "Oh shit my HLH, I'm going to die!" "Nah you're cured but like you're going to die in prison much later now I guess." I thought a lot of the "meta" shit here was funny, like them essentially saying, "Oh yeah Diggle that wasn't a Green Lantern ring, that was just a trick," followed immediately by Oliver saying part of the Green Lantern oath. Pick a lane. :p

It was a good episode on the whole though, hopefully the rest of the season goes out on a high note like this.

I will say though, the fact that they remembered to give Oliver the YOU HAVE FAILED THIS CITY line makes me even saltier that they didn't think to give Batwoman the NANITES COURTESY OF RAY PALMER line. :(

16 minutes ago, Jason said:

It was a good episode on the whole though, hopefully the rest of the season goes out on a high note like this.

I will say though, the fact that they remembered to give Oliver the YOU HAVE FAILED THIS CITY line makes me even saltier that they didn't think to give Batwoman the NANITES COURTESY OF RAY PALMER line. :(

Oh yeah, no complaints. They went full Arrowverse that episode and it was rad. I feel like the show has been its weakest since it went to the "graphic novel" model a few years back and all the strongest episodes since then, for the most part, have been one-offs or ones where they get to have more fun.

I'm still hopeful for a Legends sendoff, but less so after the Arrow one. Alas.

2 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

Oh yeah, no complaints. They went full Arrowverse that episode and it was rad. I feel like the show has been its weakest since it went to the "graphic novel" model a few years back and all the strongest episodes since then, for the most part, have been one-offs or ones where they get to have more fun.

I'm still hopeful for a Legends sendoff, but less so after the Arrow one. Alas.

I thought season 6 was working with the whole "graphic novel" concept until the pandemic halted production. Then 7x03 (originally the season 6 finale) was clearly wrecked by COVID. Then it seemed like season 7 was too, with them going through great contortions to avoid physical contact between the actors that was way beyond what any of the other Arrowverse shows (including S&L since it was still Arrowverse) were doing in terms of blatant COVID safety production decisions. My hunch is it was probably something with Grant Gustin insisting on being extremely cautious since he was about to have a baby with his wife, if you recall Barry and Iris barely even touched each other all season 7, and the limited action they did have mostly didn't involve Barry. 

As for Legends apparently they wanted to do a two parter to wrap it up but then when they only got 13 episodes they abandoned the idea of doing Legends at all. </3

31 minutes ago, Jason said:

I thought season 6 was working with the whole "graphic novel" concept until the pandemic halted production. Then 7x03 (originally the season 6 finale) was clearly wrecked by COVID. Then it seemed like season 7 was too, with them going through great contortions to avoid physical contact between the actors that was way beyond what any of the other Arrowverse shows (including S&L since it was still Arrowverse) were doing in terms of blatant COVID safety production decisions. My hunch is it was probably something with Grant Gustin insisting on being extremely cautious since he was about to have a baby with his wife, if you recall Barry and Iris barely even touched each other all season 7, and the limited action they did have mostly didn't involve Barry. 

As for Legends apparently they wanted to do a two parter to wrap it up but then when they only got 13 episodes they abandoned the idea of doing Legends at all. </3

Ah, boo. 

• 2 weeks later...

The entire Arrowverse has felt like a mess since the multiverse crossover. Arrow ended, Flash was already declining, and Supergirl was all over the place. Then they had the big crossover which was a pretty good finale for Arrow, but that was only 8 episodes into the season for the other shows so they had to continue their seasons and after the crossover their stories for the rest of the season felt like worrying about a fire cracker after a nuclear bomb had went off.

Then to top it off the pandemic happened and goofed of the end of the season.

Some of it too was also that I had the benefit of binging the earlier seasons on Netflix, but by the time I got to those seasons I was trying to keep up on the CW channel. And it wasn't interesting enough to keep me hooked so I would try to go back to it after a while and miss episodes because only 6 were up at a time.

At a certain point I just said screw it and threw in the towel and decided I would wait until Flash was done and go through Arrow, Flash, Legends, and Supergirl again all at once.

Maybe the weaker later seasons will be more palatable when I can binge them.

4 hours ago, Chairslinger said:

The entire Arrowverse has felt like a mess since the multiverse crossover. Arrow ended, Flash was already declining, and Supergirl was all over the place. Then they had the big crossover which was a pretty good finale for Arrow, but that was only 8 episodes into the season for the other shows so they had to continue their seasons and after the crossover their stories for the rest of the season felt like worrying about a fire cracker after a nuclear bomb had went off.

Then to top it off the pandemic happened and goofed of the end of the season.

Some of it too was also that I had the benefit of binging the earlier seasons on Netflix, but by the time I got to those seasons I was trying to keep up on the CW channel. And it wasn't interesting enough to keep me hooked so I would try to go back to it after a while and miss episodes because only 6 were up at a time.

At a certain point I just said screw it and threw in the towel and decided I would wait until Flash was done and go through Arrow, Flash, Legends, and Supergirl again all at once.

Maybe the weaker later seasons will be more palatable when I can binge them.

I do think the shows relaying more on crossovers like the comics made them, ironically, a worse watching experience. Then COVID hit and I don't think they ever rebalanced things from there.

Also I know it's broadcast TV and everything but the notion that some of these shows had several of the usual 20+ episode seasons is, in hindsight, bananas. There are just far more episodes than there have been good ideas.