Disney+ lost 2.4 million subscribers in the last quarter of 2022

The good news? That's actually 600K fewer than expected!

106146905-1569357821589img_7084rr.jpg?v=
WWW.CNBC.COM

Disney reported earnings after the bell. Here are the results.

A recent price hike for Disney’s streaming services likely led to the loss of around 2.4 million Disney+ subscribers during the quarter. The company had been expected to lose more than 3 million, according to StreetAccount.

• Sicko 1

I imagine there are the people that have Disney+ because they have kids and it's on all the time, and then there are the people that subscribe for the Star Wars and Marvel shows, and it's easy to imagine those folks not keeping their subs going all the time.

Bob sure has his work cut out for him.

Some further information on the subscriber loss which appears to be entirely attributable to the India/SE Asia market:

The drop in Disney+ subscribers — which was bigger than analysts expected — was entirely driven by a 3.8 million sequential decline Disney+ Hotstar, the version of the service offered in India and parts of Southeast Asia, to stand at 161.8 million at the end of 2022. In the U.S./Canada, Disney+ gained about 200,000 subs (to reach 46.6 million). Hulu gained 800,000 in the quarter to stand at 48.0 million, and ESPN+ increased by 600,000 to 24.9 million.

From what I gather, the Disney+ Hotstar service lost the rights to broadcast live cricket matches which would DEFINITELY have a significant impact in that particular market!

• True 1

21 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

I imagine there are the people that have Disney+ because they have kids and it's on all the time, and then there are the people that subscribe for the Star Wars and Marvel shows, and it's easy to imagine those folks not keeping their subs going all the time.

Bob sure has his work cut out for him.

The annual subscription is the cost of 10 months of monthly.  I guess you could save money by turning it on, binging and then turning it off -- but how many people actually behave like that?

13 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

I guess you could save money by turning it on, binging and then turning it off -- but how many people actually behave like that?

Currently? Probably not a ton. But I think as prices continue to rise on these services, people will either reduce the total number or services they subscribe to, reduce the time they sub to any given service, or some combination of the two. Apple makes it pretty easy for the services that you can sub direct from your Apple account, to add and drop them. I've found myself much more likely to drop a service I'm not using much when the mechanism to do so is as simple as clicking "unsubscribe".

24 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

The annual subscription is the cost of 10 months of monthly.  I guess you could save money by turning it on, binging and then turning it off -- but how many people actually behave like that?

I think there's a decent population that does some kind of service rotation, bingeing the big shows and movies they're interested in and then canceling it for most of the year. I think for a long time the prevailing wisdom was that people don't really do that, and just end up subscribed forever, but I think the incredible rise in the number of subscriptions has changed behavior for a decent subset of people. I don't actually have any data on this, but it would be interesting to find some numbers.

In Disney+'s case, I think the long gap between seasons of The Mandalorian gives the people that don't have kids watching Disney films every day the chance to end one sub for quite a while. Boba Fett wasn't great, and Andor didn't get nearly the buzz it deserved. I imagine a good number of folks will re-sub for season 3.

I am also noticing some behaviors that suggest the streamers DO see rotation as an issue, or maybe a potential issue. I'm completely convinced that Netflix, with the recent season of Stranger Things, and Paramount+ with the first season of 1923, baked in a break small enough that people probably wouldn't bother dropping the service but just large enough to suck another month or so of subscription revenue out of them. I think AMC did similar with the relatively short break in the final season of BCS.

Finding some broad numbers, it seems like by far the most common reason people cancel is because of the cost, with number 4 being about specific shows. Point number 9 here showed that 19% of people intended to cancel Apple TV+ when Ted Lasso ended, and that 7% would cancel HBO after watching Dune.

So yeah, if we take those numbers at face value, I'd guess most people canceled Disney+ because the price went up and inflation is killing everyone, but a decent number of folks will probably pick it back up at least temporarily to watch Mandolorian or the next big Marvel thing.

1 hour ago, TwinIon said:

I think there's a decent population that does some kind of service rotation, bingeing the big shows and movies they're interested in and then canceling it for most of the year. I think for a long time the prevailing wisdom was that people don't really do that, and just end up subscribed forever, but I think the incredible rise in the number of subscriptions has changed behavior for a decent subset of people. I don't actually have any data on this, but it would be interesting to find some numbers.

In Disney+'s case, I think the long gap between seasons of The Mandalorian gives the people that don't have kids watching Disney films every day the chance to end one sub for quite a while. Boba Fett wasn't great, and Andor didn't get nearly the buzz it deserved. I imagine a good number of folks will re-sub for season 3.

I am sure some people are doing it -- but how many?  Between Andor, Ahsoka, Bad Batch and the Marvel things -- not to mention their back catalog of movies....  There is always SOMETHING my family is watching.  It costs me ~C$120 a year -- probably my best value in non-sports streaming.

2 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Some further information on the subscriber loss which appears to be entirely attributable to the India/SE Asia market:

From what I gather, the Disney+ Hotstar service lost the rights to broadcast live cricket matches which would DEFINITELY have a significant impact in that particular market!

This just made me realize just how boring American Disney+ is. No live sports. No anime.