Shows that are too big to fail.

Jeopardy!

Wheel of Fortune

Family Feud

They've been on forever and have sadly gone through new hosts, but you can’t deny their staying power. Just like The Price is Right, as it was the staple show for my dentist. If you had an appointment between 11am-noon, you had to watch Bob/Drew try and hand out prizes while in the chair

A common thread for the shows that we've listed is that they all seemingly have relatively "modest" production budgets which means that the rate of return on their advertiser revenue must easily clear the hurdle rate.

So, it's not so much that these shows are "too big" to fail - it's that they're "too small" to fail.

• Like 1
  • True 3

There was this dive bar I used to go to, and on my days off I would go there at like 9am for breakfast and liquor. They played The Price is Right on TV every day, and there would be a whole crowd of crusty old fucks watching it every day. It was so enjoyable that watching The Price is Right with those salty bastards became part of my weekend routine. I'd get off work late on Tuesday night, take a little nap at home, then head to the bar at 9/9:30 to eat some eggs and potatotes and catch some Price is Right with the homies before going back home and going to bed.

Those were good times.

Huh, I didn’t realize Spongebob was still on! I kinda want to marathon the recent seasons. The few times I saw it on tv in recent years it was older episodes so I assumed it was just on repeats forever. 

Seems they do the slow seasons, the current one started in 2020!

8 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

A common thread for the shows that we've listed is that they all seemingly have relatively "modest" production budgets which means that the rate of return on their advertiser revenue must easily clear the hurdle rate.

So, it's not so much that these shows are "too big" to fail - it's that they're "too small" to fail.

I agree. These shows hit the criteria in the OP, but they're not really "too big to fail."

A show that might actually be too big to fail is Rings of Power.  They invested so much money on the front end they basically can't afford to kill it off too soon. The additional costs of more seasons (even when they're quite expensive) is necessary to soften the blow after how much they sunk into buying the rights and doing all the preproduction. They also did so much marketing to position it as their premier show, they just can't get rid of it.

It's certainly not going to last forever, but there was never any real doubt about it getting a second season, and unless it's a complete disaster I think it's hard to see it not getting a third as well. They supposedly have five seasons planned, and even with Bezos gone, I think there's a good chance it goes that distance.