More Texas blackouts

0201%20Ice%20Storm%202023%20SanMco%20JV%
WWW.TEXASTRIBUNE.ORG

More than 400,000 electricity customers statewide lacked power Thursday. Austin’s main power provider is scrambling to restore electricity to more than 150,000 customers, but repairs to damaged lines…

Sounds like about 370,000 homes without power, and no anticipated restoration until Friday.

Power generation and distribution should be government-run, I will die on that hill.

26 minutes ago, TUFKAK said:

And Californians just accept blackouts during fire season when pge goes full pge.

A blackout isn't going to fucking kill you in California, and no one "accepts" the blackouts, PG&E is constantly under heavy fire and constantly being sued/threatened to be completely obliterated.

• True 1

1 minute ago, Xbob42 said:

A blackout isn't going to fucking kill you in California, and no one "accepts" the blackouts, PG&E is constantly under heavy fire and constantly being sued/threatened to be completely obliterated.

Uh, you may want to rephrase the first.

And we hate pge and yet, they’re still my utility provider. Strongly worded tweets or not.

• Halal 1

Other, redder states have elected Democrats to statewide office, but Texas hasn't elected a Democrat to statewide office in 30 years.

Texas isn't THAT red, at least not compared to most of the South. Yet Oklahoma and Alabama (R+37.2 and R+29.6, respectively, while Texas is only at R+12.0) have had more Democrats elected to statewide office in the past 30 years.

That's not Texas being red, that's the Texas Democratic Party being incompetent.

• Halal 1

1 hour ago, TUFKAK said:

Uh, you may want to rephrase the first.

And we hate pge and yet, they’re still my utility provider. Strongly worded tweets or not.

Ah yes, strongly worded tweets that result in PG&E almost going bankrupt multiple times. That's clearly what I was referencing.

3 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

Ah yes, strongly worded tweets that result in PG&E almost going bankrupt multiple times. That's clearly what I was referencing.

Horseshoes and hand grenades 

I almost won mega millions too! Those moral victories sure are nice while they still serve nearly half the state.

I did say more than most to disconnect, solar with a power wall, and they’re still my provider.

Just now, Xbob42 said:

Oh, you won't find me defending the fact that they stick around like an undead parasite, the fact that they still exist is a blight on the state, but it's not for lack of trying.

I hate you for making it sound like I’m defending these fucks btw 😂

Austin_Energy_logo.png
EN.M.WIKIPEDIA.ORG

Austin Energy is a publicly owned utility providing electrical power to the city of Austin, Texas and surrounding areas. Established in 1895, the utility is a department of the City of Austin and returns its profits to the city's general fund to finance other city services. Austin Energy is the United States' 7th largest public utility

:hmm:

The causes of electricity outages are unlike those from the infamous 2021 winter storm, when the state’s power grid nearly collapsed during a catastrophic freeze that killed hundreds of Texans. This year’s winter storm is not as cold, prolonged or widespread as the one two years ago. And the current outages are due mostly to localized issues like downed power lines, not a problem with the power grid.

Nothingburger

1 hour ago, sblfilms said:
Austin_Energy_logo.png
EN.M.WIKIPEDIA.ORG

:hmm:

To be clear, my stance is that power generation (and natural gas, water, etc) should all be handled at the state/province level or higher. Maybe distribution can be delegated to municipalities, but generation should be handled on a larger scale, at the level where regulations are legislated.