BO Report: Jurassic Park roars past expectations, Incredibles 2 has incredible second weekend (4th largest grossing weekend ever)

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/weekend/chart/?yr=2018&wknd=25&p=.htm

Jurassic Park nabbed $150 million domestically.

Incredibles 2 grossed $80 million.

Total, the films this weekend grossed $277,686,254.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=4410&p=.htm

Surpassing expectations, Universal and Amblin Entertainment's Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom got off to a strong start. With an estimated $150 million for Fallen Kingdom, this is only the second time ever two different films have brought in over $100 million over two consecutive weekends. The first time was in 2007 when Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End opened with $114.7 million following Shrek the Third's $121.6 million opening the weekend prior. Disney and Pixar's Incredibles 2 followed up its monster debut weekend last week with a second place finish this weekend as its domestic cume has already topped $350 million in just ten days.

With an estimated $150 million, Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom's opening is down ~28% compared to the $208.8 million debut for its 2015 predecessor. However, given the fact the film was competing with Incredibles 2 for a lot of the same audience, this is a solid start, especially when coupled with an "A-" CinemaScore, just a step down from the last film's "A". The film played to an audience that was 54% male with 44% of the overall audience aged 25 years and older.

This big test will be over the coming weeks, especially when you consider the 2015 film managed an astounding 3.12x multiplier after its then, record-breaking opening. Fallen Kingdom doesn't face any new, direct competition next weekend, but the following weekend sees the release of Disney and Marvel's Ant-Man and the Wasp followed by Hotel Transylvania 3 and Skyscraper. 2015's Jurassic World didn't drop more than 50% until its ninth weekend in release, it will be tough for Fallen Kingdom to deliver similar weekend-to-weekend performances as a domestic performance around $350-375 million seems like a good bet right now.

The word of mouth for Jurassic World 2 is not good based on what I’ve heard from my friends and family. But I actually liked it better than the last one (which I really did not like). It’ll be interesting to see how it does in long run.

I wish there were a different dinosaur franchise than this one at this point. Like, what if dinosaurs never went extinct and we evolved alongside them while also following a similar track of technological development? There are tons of stories you could do with that premise.

6 hours ago, Komusha said:

The word of mouth for Jurassic World 2 is not good based on what I’ve heard from my friends and family. But I actually liked it better than the last one (which I really did not like). It’ll be interesting to see how it does in long run.

It’s got an A- cinema score so I’d imagine that’s translating to a decent word of mouth. 

10 minutes ago, Mercury33 said:

It’s got an A- cinema score so I’d imagine that’s translating to a decent word of mouth. 

Doesn’t A- translate to just okay? I’m not an expert on this sort of thing, so someone can correct me. The last one scored an A. Solo scored an A- and didn’t have the best legs...

5 hours ago, Wild said:

I wish there were a different dinosaur franchise than this one at this point. Like, what if dinosaurs never went extinct and we evolved alongside them while also following a similar track of technological development? There are tons of stories you could do with that premise.

I agree.

I enjoyed Jurassic World, and I like the direction they went with Fallen Kingdom trying to shake up the formula a bit.

But ultimately it's a franchise that made for one great film due to it's unique concept, but all the followups(no matter how well executed) are stuck in that same constraining concept.

Fallen Kingdom was okay, but I swear it was just a reharsh of shots from previous movies. How many times have we now seen the Trex play the roll of 'hero' by jumping in at the last second to kill something that is about to attack the humans and then let out a massive roar??? Hell, I think they did it twice in fallen kingdom. And the kid trying to pull the dumb weighter door closed in the exact same shot of the original kids trying to shut the door in the kitchen in the first movie. I had no real expectations for the film other than seeing people run from dinosaurs so in that sense I wasn't disappointed, but it would have been nice if half the dino shots hadn't looked like they were clipped right from the previous film. 

1 hour ago, EternallDarkness said:

Fallen Kingdom was okay, but I swear it was just a reharsh of shots from previous movies. How many times have we now seen the Trex play the roll of 'hero' by jumping in at the last second to kill something that is about to attack the humans and then let out a massive roar??? Hell, I think they did it twice in fallen kingdom. And the kid trying to pull the dumb weighter door closed in the exact same shot of the original kids trying to shut the door in the kitchen in the first movie. I had no real expectations for the film other than seeing people run from dinosaurs so in that sense I wasn't disappointed, but it would have been nice if half the dino shots hadn't looked like they were clipped right from the previous film. 

Is homage lost on you?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, EternallDarkness said:

not at all,  but half the shots being carbon copies of the previous movies is not homage, a single shot would have been

Well, there were about 20 more in the film, with the best one being of the brontosaurus.