Father of Peeps candy Bob Born dies at 98

2000.webp
APNEWS.COM

Ira “Bob” Born, a candy company executive known as the “Father of Peeps” for mechanizing the process to make marshmallow chicks, has died. He was 98. Just Born Quality Confections, the 100-year-old family-owned company Born led for much of his life, said Monday that he had died peacefully on Sunday.

In 1953, Just Born acquired Rodda Candy Co., a jelly bean maker that had a side business producing shaped marshmallow candies by hand. At the time, it took about 27 hours to make the marshmallows.

Bob Born saw the candies’ potential, so he and an engineer at the company designed and built a machine to make them in less than six minutes. The company’s current machines, which are still based on Bob Born’s design, now pump out 5.5 million Peeps per day.

Seventy years later, Peeps remain Just Born’s most recognizable candy brand, the company says. Just Born makes around 2 billion Peeps each year, or enough to circle the globe two-and-a-half times. It sells the most at Easter, but also has versions sold for Halloween, Valentine’s Day and other holidays.

• Sad 1

21 minutes ago, LazyPiranha said:

“Bob Born also came up with the recipe for another popular Just Born candy, Hot Tamales. Just Born also makes Mike and Ike fruit chews and Goldenberg’s Peanut Chews.”

This company is like a murderer’s row of the shittiest candy possible.  

Did he make smarties and dumdums too?

11 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

RIP to a real one, I hope they microwave his corpse so it gets huge before they bury it.

Ohioguy’s family company makes dum dums.

And was too stupid to inherit running it, they put him in charge of IT and he even did that job poorly.  I remember him asking all sorts of IT related questions on the PC board back in the day.

Before I had kids, I just figured that Peeps were a treat that everyone thought everyone else enjoyed for Easter, but nobody does. Much like fruit cakes for Christmas, candy corn for Halloween or U2 for music. In my younger years, I used to microwave them and then toss them out, but my kids seem to like them, at least for the day and a half before they become rock hard, after opening the package. 

I used to love Hot Tamales, though, so I can't hate. R.I.P. Bob.