National Archives asks former presidents and vice presidents to check for classified and presidential documents

230118154327-02-classified-documents-spi
WWW.CNN.COM

The National Archives is formally asking former presidents and vice presidents to re-check their personal records for any classified documents or other presidential records in the wake of classified documents discovered in the homes of former President Donald Trump, former Vice President Mike Pence and President Joe Biden over the last year.

The Archives sent a letter Thursday to representatives of former presidents and vice presidents from the last six presidential administrations covered by the Presidential Records Act (PRA) – from former President Ronald Reagan’s White House to the present.

The letter, which was reviewed by CNN, requests that they check their files to ensure that material thought to be personal does not “inadvertently” contain presidential records that are required by law to be turned over to the Archives.

The Archives sent the letter to representatives for former Presidents Trump, Barack Obama, George W. Bush, Bill Clinton, George H.W. Bush and Ronald Reagan, and former Vice Presidents Pence, Biden, Dick Cheney, Al Gore and Dan Quayle.

Representatives for the four former presidents have all so far told CNN they do not have any classified records in their possession. The representatives for former Presidents Clinton, George W. Bush, Obama and the late George H.W. Bush all told CNN that all classified records had been turned over to the National Archives upon leaving office.

Why Carter isn't on the list:

Former President Jimmy Carter did not receive a letter from the Archives, since he is technically exempt from the Presidential Records ACT. Though Carter signed the PRA into existence, it did not become effective until he left office.

A source familiar with the Archives told CNN that they did not remember Carter finding any stray classified documents.

Quayle confirmed to CNN that everything was turned over to the Archives, and sources familiar with the records of Cheney said he also turned everything over when he left the White House. A spokesperson for Gore said he and his staff turned everything over when leaving the White House and no classified material has been discovered since.

• 1 year later...
WWW.NYTIMES.COM

The inquiry found that the president had willfully retained material after finishing his term as vice president and had shared sensitive information with a ghostwriter.

Republican Special Counsel turned the report into a case for the 25th Amendment. 

“Mr. Biden would likely present himself to a jury, as he did during our interview with him, as a sympathetic, well-meaning, elderly man with a poor memory,” Mr. Hur wrote.

“He did not remember when he was vice president, forgetting on the first day of the interview when his term ended (‘if it was 2013 — when did I stop being Vice President?’), and forgetting on the second day of the interview when his term began (‘in 2009, am I still Vice President?’),” the report said.

The report recounts that Biden did not remember “even within several years” when his son Beau died. It says his memory appeared “hazy” in recounting even the debate over Afghanistan that “was once so important to him.”

While I'm not entirely enthused with Biden's age and the potential for emerging or future cognitive decline, I am extremely skeptical of the Special Counsel's commentary without access to the full transcript. It's common knowledge he has dealt with stuttering his whole life, and those snippets could easily be taken out of context.

• Haha 1
  • Halal 1

7 minutes ago, Chris- said:

While I'm not entirely enthused with Biden's age and the potential for emerging or future cognitive decline, I am extremely skeptical of the Special Counsel's commentary without access to the full transcript. It's common knowledge he has dealt with stuttering his whole life, and those snippets could easily be taken out of context.

Yup. Hur's appointment in the first place was a political hatchet job and we know from the Muller report that they'll completely lie in their summaries of these things.

Just now, Nokra said:

Am I crazy to believe that Biden seems more likely to surround himself with good people who can help with his memory issues and not take advantage, unlike that other geriatric fucker? 

True, which is why I mentally refer to the 2024 election as Mummy (Biden) Vs. Dummy (guess who?):sun:

24 minutes ago, Nokra said:

Am I crazy to believe that Biden seems more likely to surround himself with good people who can help with his memory issues and not take advantage, unlike that other geriatric fucker? 

Duh. 

There are legitimate concerns about Biden’s mental acuity and it’s frightening our country is being run by folks of such advanced age. 

But it blows my mind that people who are so “concerned” with Biden express no such concerns about Trump, who is nearly as old and has clearly exhibited neurological decline. 

5 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Duh. 

There are legitimate concerns about Biden’s mental acuity and it’s frightening our country is being run by folks of such advanced age. 

But it blows my mind that people who are so “concerned” with Biden express no such concerns about Trump, who is nearly as old and has clearly exhibited neurological decline. 

family photos gif artist GIF

A decent chunk of the American public will hear this and go "aha, I knew he was old!!!" and vote for...the other old guy who is also evil. It's like a kindly grandpa who forgot he already gave you some ice cream and gives you more vs the mean grandpa who is always on a racist tirade.

• Haha 1
  • True 1

3 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

That's correct.

literally minutes after a reporter was shouting questions about him mixing up world leaders.

Whoever was in charge of wrangling the press should be out on their ass, everyone shouting over each other like children.

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, SuperSpreader said:

No one cares

That isn't true.  Around 40% of voters care!  

28 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Very depressing the choices come down between two advanced senior citizens who are already exhibiting degrees of cognitive decline. And that’s supposed to get the country through to 2029. 

This is batshit. 

It would truly be a black comedy if both of them go comatose a few weeks before the election.  Might as well allow the pickled body of Lenin to run for President at that point. 

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Very depressing the choices come down between two advanced senior citizens who are already exhibiting degrees of cognitive decline. And that’s supposed to get the country through to 2029. 

This is batshit. 

At least one, for all of his faults, would willingly allow a successor to be decided democratically.

4 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

And Trump just referred Orban as the leader of Turkey.

And Nancy Pelosi as Nikki Haley.

Sometimes, you don't think of the right name in the moment, and you don't notice you did.