Hi-Fi RUSH (Tango Gameworks | Directed by John Johanas) - PS5 release announced for March 18, reportedly will be launch title for Switch Sequel

Brian

I didn't see the show announcing this, and I didn't even really look at the store page, everyone just seemed hyped about it and mentioned Sunset Overdrive and Jet Set Radio.

Gotta say, was pretty fuckin' nice getting home to a surprise release of a game with a unique and pristine art style, absolutely flawless 120 FPS performance, support for all major upscaling techniques to ensure that performance, excellent rhythm gameplay, a completely reasonable price, no microtransaction BS trying to nickel and dime me to death, fantastic ultrawide support and a great sense of humor. Not to mention the fucking amazing animation!

Sometimes it feels like gaming as a whole is spinning its wheels, then you get little games like this that make you remember why it can be so damn good.

• True 2
  • Halal 5

Just now, Dodger said:

Good game but I got no rhythm so trying to play it as a regular brawler while sometimes doing the timing right probably won't work out long term or for higher difficulties other than Normal. 

There's also an accessibility option to turn off the rhythm gameplay all together if you so choose.

• Halal 1

5 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

There's also an accessibility option to turn off the rhythm gameplay all together if you so choose.

This is what I did! I still try to play with the beat but just for my own fun, I prefer that than constant failure! 

The animation in this is wild!

hi-fi-rush-steam-xbox-game-pass.jpg
WWW.PCGAMESN.COM

Hi-Fi Rush, the surprise rhythm action game from Tango Gameworks and Bethesda, is doing really well on Steam despite launching on PC Game Pass.

I think this will be the poster child of what Games Pass can do for a game.  It gets buzz going for a new IP, but is reasonably cheap ($30) for those that would rather own it.  That should lead to a lot of purchases, more than it would otherwise garner as a Dreamcast styled arcade game.

I’m still not convinced it’s the correct model for most of the AAA industry to sustain.  Streaming subscriptions are coming to a reckoning point with cost vs revenue that games may have to contend with on some level.  (Maybe Microsoft’s layoffs are an early sign?)  The better option might be to release demos for everything like SquareEnix does.

For AA games like this, boy am I glad that there’s a growing space for them.  Things are looking up.  Now give us a SSX revival next.

This game is a bargain at $30. I'm not sure who decided that price but it's higher quality than a lot of $70 games you see get released.

But really this is showing that "passion projects" are something that are viable on game pass. First Pentiment and then this are supposedly the type of games that don't sell, while Pentiment was a bit niche character action games are a lot more popular and especially so if people can get them for cheap.

Yeah this is the real deal and could totally have just been a full priced game assuming it’s around 8+ hours. It’s incredibly polished and high quality. More polished overall than most any new release I’ve played in months. 

In very impressed at a lot of the options offered here and that they managed to make something so heavily tied to rhythm gameplay for fans of that…that still works so well with completely ignoring that aspect if you want to. That is not an easy thing to juggle and most games would never even attempt that.

Also it looks fucking bonkers. I’ve wanted something beyond a fighting game that looked this much like a cartoon for so long and the style is off the fucking chain. Can’t believe I got two games back to back with such amazing animation (in very different styles) with this and Pizza Tower.

This year is starting off absolutely insane like I’m already stacked with new games I want to play like it’ la the holidays already (counting the games over the next two weeks) I probably would have held back on one of the recent games I got if I knew this was that legit because this is madness 

What’s crazy is the environments here look way more like an animated cartoon, blending in with the characters, than the ones in Guilty Gear Strive, and it’s like 10 hour of environments instead of few fighting game backgrounds. They nailed the look.

Thinking how much I liked Ghostwire (and that also looked amazing in a totally different way), I guess this is a studio to watch for me now, might have to go back and try the Evil Within games someday.

@stepee

I've been reading reviews on this and it's currently at 89 with 35 reviews. It's getting nothing but high praise which has me extremely interested. Knowing my tastes in games, do you think I'd enjoy this?

It's only 8-10 hours long which I can knock out before Hogwarts. I need to beat Dead Space before then too which I will. 

22 minutes ago, best3444 said:

@stepee

I've been reading reviews on this and it's currently at 89 with 35 reviews. It's getting nothing but high praise which has me extremely interested. Knowing my tastes in games, do you think I'd enjoy this?

It's only 8-10 hours long which I can knock out before Hogwarts. I need to beat Dead Space before then too which I will. 

Im really not sure! It’s a pretty unique game. I think it’s an amazing looking game that can be stunning just to see especially on an oled so I’d at least check it out. 

You'll probably want to do what I do and adjust the difficulty so you don’t need to actually match the rhythm and play it like a regular action platformer and just use the rhythm part to help your timing. 

It’s a very inventive game and can be quite a spectacle at times. It kind of feels like MS’s answer to Rachet to me at times. A fun single player adult and kid friendly cartoon action game with amazing graphics and cool city futuristic city environments.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, best3444 said:

@stepee

Do you like character action games like Bayonetta or Devil May Cry? If you do there's a high likelihood you'll like this.

2 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Do you like character action games like Bayonetta or Devil May Cry? If you do there's a high likelihood you'll like this.

I played and beat Devil May Cry 5. I enjoy that genre so yea.

4 minutes ago, stepee said:

Im really not sure! It’s a pretty unique game. I think it’s an amazing looking game that can be stunning just to see especially on an oled so I’d at least check it out. 

You'll probably want to do what I do and adjust the difficulty so you don’t need to actually match the rhythm and play it like a regular action platformer and just use the rhythm part to help your timing. 

It’s a very inventive game and can be quite a spectacle at times. It kind of feels like MS’s answer to Rachet to me at times. A fun single player adult and kid friendly cartoon action game with amazing graphics and cool city futuristic city environments.

Very nice summary. I totally forgot to check this out yesterday on my day off. I'm going to play it today, then. I think I will really enjoy it and yes, thanks for the advice about eliminating the rhythm aspect to combat. Awesome, I look forward to trying this today!

• Like 1

The inky primary colors are just mmmmm - I would watch this as a tv show just to see it. I’m not sure if XSX has a 120fps mode or not but since it looks SO much like actual animation which you never get to see at 120fps or even 60fps as far as the actual animation, literally nothing else looks like it so it’s particularly exciting to watch.

Hi-Fi-Rush-Site-2.jpg
WWW.EUROGAMER.NET

Hi-Fi Rush is a superb, wildly creative game and maybe even an early 2023 GOTY candidate. Oliver delivers the DF tech review, covering Xbox Series X/S and PC.

I could spend all day discussing Hi-Fi Rush - it's just that good. The game oozes style, and has clearly been created with impeccable craft and attention to detail.

Its moderate run-time, about 11 hours for me, is replete with high-quality cutscenes, bespoke gameplay segments, comic book level transition sequences and proper 2D animated cutscenes that pay homage to Hi-Fi Rush's inspirations. I can't think of any other recent titles that nail a 2D animation look so thoroughly. It impresses in particular because this is a fully-3D title in both gameplay and graphics, so it can't rely on a fixed-perspective camera setup to hide its 3D elements.

Everything else that I don't have time to go into detail on today - the writing, character designs, particle effects, music, and user interface - is all top-notch stuff. This is a polished new game with novel gameplay concepts and interesting art that nails everything out-of-the-gate - you couldn't really ask for more. It almost feels like a missing member of the 'Capcom 5', an experimental, stylish game that breaks conventions to achieve something special. It definitely has a certain sixth-gen console sensibility, reminiscent of an age when unusual concepts were more often greenlit, particularly from Japanese studios.

To drop the game out of the blue on Xbox and PC was definitely a risky decision, but if anything it just adds to the aforementioned qualities. And there aren't any significant bugs or performance woes that I noticed across any platforms which is its own accomplishment. Most players will probably tackle this one on Game Pass, but I do think it deserves a full disc release at some point - especially given the licensed music it uses, which could limit its digital shelf-life.

As far as I'm concerned, this is an early contender for game of the year and undoubtedly one of the most attractive games we'll see in 2023. Hi-Fi Rush is an absolute blast - and everyone should give it a shot.

17 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

“As far as I'm concerned, this is an early contender for game of the year and undoubtedly one of the most attractive games we'll see in 2023. Hi-Fi Rush is an absolute blast - and everyone should give it a shot.”

“Image quality is basically impeccable on Series X, with a super sharp, super clean 4K presentation throughout”

@best3444

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, stepee said:

“As far as I'm concerned, this is an early contender for game of the year and undoubtedly one of the most attractive games we'll see in 2023. Hi-Fi Rush is an absolute blast - and everyone should give it a shot.”

“Image quality is basically impeccable on Series X, with a super sharp, super clean 4K presentation throughout”

@best3444

I'm saving this for tomorrow and Sunday. I'm really looking forward to it! Glad to read it looks great on the XSX. I messed with more settings on my day off and it looks awesome on my tv.

• Halal 1

1 minute ago, best3444 said:

@stepee

Question. When you eliminate the rhythm aspect to combat how does that effect the music syncing and challenges? Watching reviews it seems it's essential to keep that on? Does it just turn into a hack n slash where rhythm doesn't matter and you can just advance that way? 

Yep that exactly what it does! I’m sure it’s essential to keep on if you enjoy rhythm games, I do not however, so hack n slash/platfotmer it is! Still is a lot of fun as that and the rhythm is still fun, you can still play along with it, you still get the visual entertainment of the world reacting to the rhythm but I can enjoy the game without having to worry about failing because I wasn’t paying attention to a beat hard enough.

• Like 1

This is a perfect gamepass game in that it's something I wouldn't have bought for myself, high praise or not, simply because I have zero sense of rhythm. I'm finishing levels with a C or D in keeping time, but still enjoying the game. The style is perfectly executed. A little gem of a game.

39 minutes ago, stepee said:

Yep that exactly what it does! I’m sure it’s essential to keep on if you enjoy rhythm games, I do not however, so hack n slash/platfotmer it is! Still is a lot of fun as that and the rhythm is still fun, you can still play along with it, you still get the visual entertainment of the world reacting to the rhythm but I can enjoy the game without having to worry about failing because I wasn’t paying attention to a beat hard enough.

Perfect. I dislike rhythm games to so that's awesome it's an option. Ok, well I'll be firing this up tomorrow morning! Thanks for your help with explaining the game.

• Halal 1