Sony has officially announced the PlayStation Classic

vaxick

3 hours ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I'd wait for a complete list of the games before making that claim. A lot of these games aren't cheap.

You're right but I'm pretty sure I probably own most of the game that will be eventually be mentioned. I own most of what has already been listed already. I have yet to be drawn to one of these classic systems cause I already own most of the library of them in some capacity. It is a cool buy but not for me.

4 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

Are you sure about that? Link? I know PS2 moved to software on the second gen PS3, but I thought PSX was always hardware based?

@CastlevaniaNut18 pretty much got most of it. 

PS1 on PS3 started hw but swapped to software even on units that still have the ps2 hw. Ps2 also started with hw but some/all? slim model ps2 swapped to a software emulator for ps1 titles.  I sadly can't find the articles that talk about this in detail for ps2 (damn you google) or the one that talks about when ps3 made the swap. =/ I've atleast posted two wiki on the ps1/2 emulators in the ps3 if you're looking for a little more technical info on those.

http://www.psdevwiki.com/ps3/PS1_Emulation

http://www.psdevwiki.com/ps3/PS2_Emulation

• Thanks 1

I'm kind of curious, I wonder if sony is reusing Vita tv parts to build this thing or if they ported everything to a new SOC to make this. My money is on Vita parts.

I do hope MGS makes the list. I played through it again like a year ago and still felt it held up well.

r4night2ixc42.gif

Also, R4 is still beautiful.

3 hours ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

There were countless revisions of the PS2 internals. Only the earlier models used hardware for BC. 

That is partially true for the PS3 -- later fat models used a combination of hardware and software for BC.

While the PS2 slim had issues with some games for BC, all versions of PS2 used hardware for BC.

4 minutes ago, mikechorney said:

That is partially true for the PS3 -- later fat models used a combination of hardware and software for BC.

While the PS2 slim had issues with some games for BC, all versions of PS2 used hardware for BC.

As chakoo and I have already said, that is simply incorrect in regards to PS2. 

You are correct on PS3, though, actually only one later fat model had BC. It was the MGS4 bundle. Aside from the launch models, the other fatties didn't have BC. 

28 minutes ago, chakoo said:

I'm kind of curious, I wonder if sony is reusing Vita tv parts to build this thing or if they ported everything to a new SOC to make this. My money is on Vita parts.

I do hope MGS makes the list. I played through it again like a year ago and still felt it held up well.

r4night2ixc42.gif

Also, R4 is still beautiful.

I'm curious too if the hardware inside of this will be from the Vita.  If it does hold true and it uses the same OS, I do hope that means the PS4 controller will be supported.  

I really like these mini consoles. Even though I have Retroarch decked out with every retro console, including borders, boxart, filters, and Steam launching, there's still something really appealing about a simple plug and play machine that just works and anyone can use. Also having near identical controller hardware is a big seller for me.

So if this has decent on-board storage to add additional games, or at least a reasonable solution, I'll definitely get this.

17 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

With a few exceptions, I think the PSX / N64 era has aged terribly. $100 might be above my sweet spot for a dose of nostalgia.

Also I had completely forgotten the original PSX controllers didn’t have analog sticks. Huh.

The original PSX controller design was a holdover from the PSX originally being developed as the Super Famicom disc drive. It's literally an SNES controller with extra shoulder buttons. 

300px-PSX-Original-Controller.png

1200px-Super-Famicom-Controller.jpg

7 minutes ago, Jason said:

The original PSX controller design was a holdover from the PSX originally being developed as the Super Famicom disc drive. It's literally an SNES controller with extra shoulder buttons. 

300px-PSX-Original-Controller.png

1200px-Super-Famicom-Controller.jpg

It is a good layout. It was like a more comfortable SNES controller. However We already know the Sony Nintendo Playstation was going to use SNES controllers. Here are some prototype PlayStation controllers. They did flirt with other ideas.

IffzBhm.jpg?fb&key=522baf40bd3911e08d854

21 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

DID.NOT.KNOW. THAT.  You mean to tell me I could have been playing TOBAL all this time??? That's the main reason I KEPT my PS3's.

I didn't really follow all the techy jargon afterwards but yes, you can most certainly play PS1 games on a slim if you have one. I have about 12 classics I still love on PS1 and I frequently pop them in my PS3 slim seemingly without any issues...at least that I notice.

Glad I could save your Tobal addiction here haha.

15 hours ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

As chakoo and I have already said, that is simply incorrect in regards to PS2. 

You are correct on PS3, though, actually only one later fat model had BC. It was the MGS4 bundle. Aside from the launch models, the other fatties didn't have BC. 

Link on PS2 slim using software emulation?  I've never seen any discussion on the PSX chips being dropped from the PS2 (as they were integral to PS2 functionality) -- unlike in the PS3, where they were only used for BC.

The 80GB PS3 that used partial hardware/partial software emulation was available almost a year before MGS4 came out.  While it was the one in the MGS4 bundle, it wasn't limited to that.  But you're right, there were other PS3 fats that didn't have any PS2 BC.

1 hour ago, mikechorney said:

Link on PS2 slim using software emulation?  I've never seen any discussion on the PSX chips being dropped from the PS2 (as they were integral to PS2 functionality) -- unlike in the PS3, where they were only used for BC.

The 80GB PS3 that used partial hardware/partial software emulation was available almost a year before MGS4 came out.  While it was the one in the MGS4 bundle, it wasn't limited to that.  But you're right, there were other PS3 fats that didn't have any PS2 BC.

As chakoo said, it's kind of a bitch to look this up. But as I also said, my husband is really invested in stuff like this and spends a lot of time on tech forums where people make it part of their lives to know this stuff.

PS3 is easy to look up, at least for determining what models had BC: https://support.us.playstation.com/articles/en_US/KC_Article/Play-PSone-and-PlayStation-2-Games-on-a-PlayStation-3 Only 3 of them did. I was already aware of my model using the partial software method. I encountered a couple issues with it.

1 hour ago, mikechorney said:

I think the second revision of the PS2 slim switched to software, I remember there being major issues in games like MGS VR Missions which were addressed via the next update to the console which, IIRC, used a slightly faster processor to better emulate those games, but it had had issues even still. (I think the PS2 slim with the sliding top?)

3 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

I think the second revision of the PS2 slim switched to software, I remember there being major issues in games like MGS VR Missions which were addressed via the next update to the console which, IIRC, used a slightly faster processor to better emulate those games, but it had had issues even still. (I think the PS2 slim with the sliding top?)

Maybe I'd reading this totally wrong, because I am pretty tired, but the PS2 didn't have a sliding top? It just popped up so you could put your game in. Like the PS1.