Sony has officially announced the PlayStation Classic

vaxick

Looks like the rumors floating around were true.  On December 3rd, Sony will be releasing a PlayStation Classic mini console with 20 games and two controllers for $100.  Sadly, it looks like they will be original controllers and not Dual Shock ones.

https://blog.us.playstation.com/2018/09/18/introducing-playstation-classic-with-20-pre-loaded-games/

I feel like I should be more excited for this.  I see the tiny console and I'm like hell yeah i want that, it looks awesome!  Then you watch the blog video and see the games its playing and suddenly I'm like meh never mind I'm good haha.  I love me some PS1 games but Its kind of hitting that spot where the games might be too dated for my taste.  The Nintendo stuff works better for me because its mostly 2D art. Mix all that with a $100 price......I have to pass.  

This HAS to have Metal Gear Solid on it right.  Like literally has to.  Part of me is hoping for whatever reason they can't get it just so I can see the internet react :devil:

Such a money grab.  Rather than put in some backward compatibility get people to shell out $100 for a raspberry pi.  

Also I agree that this era of games looks terrible now.  When people try to recreate 'retro' games they always shoot for 8 bit or 16 bit era.  No one wants to recreate giant blury polygons.  

1 hour ago, DarkStar189 said:

I feel like I should be more excited for this.  I see the tiny console and I'm like hell yeah i want that, it looks awesome!  Then you watch the blog video and see the games its playing and suddenly I'm like meh never mind I'm good haha.  I love me some PS1 games but Its kind of hitting that spot where the games might be too dated for my taste.  The Nintendo stuff works better for me because its mostly 2D art. Mix all that with a $100 price......I have to pass.  

This HAS to have Metal Gear Solid on it right.  Like literally has to.  Part of me is hoping for whatever reason they can't get it just so I can see the internet react :devil:

For the games not yet announced (we already know Wild Arms, Tekken 3, FF7, Jumping Flash, Ridge Racer Type 4) , ones I'm thinking about as possibilities are:

Gran Turismo 1 - 2

Tomb Raider 1 - 3

MGS1

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night

Chrono Cross

FF8-9

FF Tactics

Intelligent Qube

Parappa the Rapper

Suikoden 1 - 2

Wild Arms 2

Medievil 1 - 2

Vagrant Story

Parasite Eve 1 - 2

Legend of Dragoon

Xenogears

Jet Moto 1 - 3

Syphon Filter 1 - 3

Twisted Metal 1 - 2

Resident Evil 1 - 3

Crash 1 - 3

Spyro 1 - 3

Wipeout 2097

Tekken 1 - 2

Ape Escape

Einhander

Colony Wars

GTA 1 - 2

Bold = Sony published it, so there may be greater consideration for it.

Considering there's 20, there are gonna be maaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnny that aren't on it. I only own a few PS1 games and only bought a couple PS1 classics, so most of this stuff would be great. Just dunno what the library is gonna end up being. For something like the SNES classic, many are Nintendo and many are so flippin' obvious (Super Metroid, Super Mario World, LTTP, etc), but with the PS1, the third parties reigned supreme, so it's harder to figure out what the final library will be.

Also I get some of the 3D games that were precursors to modern action games not holding up well for people. But a lot of these will be games like FF7 / SOTN where that’s not really an issue, or games that, at least for me, were so iconic they hold up anyway, like RE games or MGS. 

It’s like a certainty that whenever this era of games are brought up you’re gonna have like 10 people chirp about how the games don’t hold up, and I guess maybe that’s true for the majority, but I actually play this era’s games fairly often and still love them. 

That said i doubt ill need to get this because I can so easily play all of these now lol. 

• Like 1