Anyone get the Amiga 500 Mini?

Bjomesphat

Just curious if anyone got this and your thoughts, or even just have experience with the Amiga.

I got this last summer and it's really cool. Picked up a joystick too for a more authentic experience. It's amazing there's a whole world of 8/16 bit games that barely existed for anyone in the US.

Now I haven't actually sat down and seriously engaged with the games, I've mostly just been going through the library and trying stuff out (you can add more games than the stock through various methods). But the one thing I will say is, the music is almost consistently amazing. I know we're all used to Japanese style chiptunes since that's what we grew up with, but think about a whole industry of games with music similar in style to Tim Follin's work on the NES and SNES. Gameplay-wise, nothing has really stood out as amazing or feeling as good as the Japanese contemporaries, but graphically there's some really cool stuff that they were doing.

Considering there were so many games released for the system with 90% I've never heard of, I'm trying to make a list of the more notable ones to really delve into. So any suggestions would be great.

• Halal 1

Best memories from:

* Speedball 2

* Super Cars 2

* Carrier Command

* Gods

* Chaos Engine

* Cinemaware games (I'm sure they don't hold up)

* Lemmings series

* Turrican II

* Sensible Soccer

* IK+

* Cannon Fodder

17 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

* Barbarian

Which one?  The Psygnosis one or the Palace Software one?

2 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Best memories from:

* Speedball 2

* Super Cars 2

* Carrier Command

* Gods

* Chaos Engine

* Lemmings series

* Turrican II

* Sensible Soccer

* IK+

* Cannon Fodder

Psygnosis! 

1 hour ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

I did not get it, but I would recommend:

* Turrican

* Shadow of the Beast

* Dungeon Master

* Populous

* Power Monger

* Barbarian

Yeah Shadow of the Beast is cool, but it's really hard! Populous I did grow up with on the SNES and love it. Though it would be cool to play it with the Amiga mouse. I'll look into the rest. Psygnosis is definitely a top tier Amiga dev.

1 hour ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Best memories from:

* Speedball 2

* Super Cars 2

* Carrier Command

* Gods

* Chaos Engine

* Lemmings series

* Turrican II

* Sensible Soccer

* IK+

* Cannon Fodder

I've definitely heard of a few of these, I'll add them all to my list. And I've already got 'King of Chicago' and 'It Came From the Desert' from Cinemaware on my list. Those kinds of games are right up my alley.

5 minutes ago, Bjomesphat said:

Yeah Shadow of the Beast is cool, but it's really hard! Populous I did grow up with on the SNES and love it. Though it would be cool to play it with the Amiga mouse. I'll look into the rest. Psygnosis is definitely a top tier Amiga dev.

I preferred Psygnosis's earlier stuff, to the games that came later -- if you like Barbarian, Obliterator is also good.  

5 minutes ago, Bjomesphat said:

I've definitely heard of a few of these, I'll add them all to my list. And I've already got 'King of Chicago' and 'It Came From the Desert' from Cinemaware on my list. Those kinds of games are right up my alley.

I never played King of Chicago.

I enjoyed Rocket Ranger, It Came from The Desert and Lords of the Rising Sun a whole bunch.  Defender of the Crown was one of the first Amiga games I played -- so it has tons of nostalgia for me, but it was a really simple game.