Shadow Gambit: The Cursed Crew (PC/Xbox Series/PlayStation 5, 2023) - a "zombie pirate" stealth-strategy title from the makers of Desperados III and Shadow Tactics: Blade of the Shogun

Today's announcement for this was a pleasant surprise indeed!

Official site:

SG_keyart_3840x2160.png
WWW.SHADOWGAMBIT.COM

Welcome to the Lost Caribbean! Join a ghost ship with a living soul, assemble a cursed pirate crew and embrace supernatural powers in this stealth strategy game. Wishlist now on Steam. Coming to PC, Xbox Series and PlayStation 5 in 2023.

Cinematic Trailer:

Gameplay Trailer:

Preview articles:

E326jkZxjm2xBjVJoPSBmA-1200-80.jpg
WWW.PCGAMER.COM

Assemble your zombie squad in Shadow Gambit: The Cursed Crew this year.

A third of the way through Desperados 3, Mimimi Games' excellent sneaky tactics romp, the Wild West gets a bit weird. A new playable character is introduced who deviates from the usual cowboy cliches thanks to her ability to possess animals, control the minds of her enemies and link living creatures together Dishonored-style. These occult shenanigans are a consistent highlight and demand a follow-up. Shadow Gambit: The Cursed Crew, the team's latest project, is more than happy to oblige.  

This is the Golden Age of Piracy, but not as we know it. In this alternate history, death has taken on a new meaning for the pirate crews that sail the high seas. In a nod to Pirates of the Caribbean, Captain Afia is on a mission to gather a crew of undead ne'er-do-wells, using magical artefacts known as Black Pearls to transform them into their best selves—all in an effort to pull off a big heist and thwart the forces of some anti-magic killjoys: the Inquisition of the Burning Maiden. 

shadow-gambit-art.jpg
WWW.ROCKPAPERSHOTGUN.COM

Mimimi Games have unveiled their next stealth strategy game, Shadow Gambit: The Cursed Crew, and we've seen it in action and talked to the devs.

Mimimi Games have been teasing their next stealth strategy game for over two years now, and finally, we know what it is. Today, the makers of Desperados 3 and Shadow Tactics: Blades Of The Shogun revealed that the game formerly known as Codename: Sweet Potato (or Süßkartoffel, in their native German) is now called Shadow Gambit: The Cursed Crew, and it's all about undead magical pirates. Sign me the heck up.

I got to see Shadow Gambit in action late last week, and boy howdy it looks super cool. Even better, it's coming to Steam and the Epic Games Store later this year. Read on below to watch its pair of exciting reveal trailers, and find out all about it.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Thanks for the tag, Sir.

I'm there Day 1. I've raved about Shadow Tactics and Desperados 3 enough on here, they're both phenomenal games and this dev has this genre down to "maximum fun" science level. That being said, I think the art style is surprisingly bad. The characters, logo and cover art in general looks like a gacha mobile game and the levels being shown in the Gameplay Trailer visually don't look nearly as good as Desperados 3. Maybe those games didn't do well and budget got cut or something, who knows. I'm 99% sure the actual game will be great though so I don't really care. 

33 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

They're self-publishing this one so it's safe to assume the budget is reduced compared to Desperados III.

Checks out. The level of detail in the levels and art look way below the previous two games. It's a shame to see because they were beautiful games with tons of atmosphere. Desperados III's swamp/steamboat level especially was super memorable on that front.