Marvel’s Kevin Feige Doesn’t Think Audiences Will Ever Get Tired of Superhero Movies

Jason

2 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Let's make a more sensible comparison: first solo movie entries 

Guardians of the Galaxy, $770m

Doctor Strange, $677m

Iron Man, 585m

Ant-man, 519m

*Thor, $449m

*Shang-Chi, $432m

*Eternals, $402m

*Black Widow, $379m

*Captain America: The First Avenger, $370m

Incredible Hulk, $264m

*not released in China

Spider-man NWH made nearly 2 billion world wide, and 800+ million domestically which is higher than Maverick on both counts. Avatar will likely higher than Spider-man NWH solely on the basis of being allowed to be released in China, otherwise it NWH would beat that domestically and globally too.

You're excluding the last 2 solo movies in 2018/2019 -- Black Panther $1,347 and Captain Marvel $1,128.

Between 2012 and 2019, Disney released 16 MCU movies.  All 16 grossed over $500M.  8 grossed over $1billion. 2 over $2 billion.

In its 2018/2019 heyday , Disney released 6 MCU movies.  5 of those grossed over $1 billion, 2 over $2 billion.

Between 2021 and 2022, Disney released 6 MCU movies.  3 grossed over $500M.  None over $1 billion.

6 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

You're excluding the last 2 solo movies in 2018/2019 -- Black Panther $1,347 and Captain Marvel $1,128.

Between 2012 and 2019, Disney released 16 MCU movies.  All 16 grossed over $500M.  8 grossed over $1billion. 2 over $2 billion.

In its 2018/2019 heyday , Disney released 6 MCU movies.  5 of those grossed over $1 billion, 2 over $2 billion.

Between 2021 and 2022, Disney released 6 MCU movies.  3 grossed over $500M.  None over $1 billion.

Here are the last 4 MCU movies released, all sequels, compared to the previous entry. What does that suggest to you about this alleged lack of interest

Spider-man No Way Home: 804m domestic, 1.1b international*

Spider-man Far From Home : 390m domestic, 741m international

Doctor Strange Multiverse of Madness: 411m domestic, 544m international*

Doctor Strange: 232m domestic, 445m international

Thor Love and Thunder: 343m domestic, 417m international*

Thor Ragnarok: 315m domestic, 538m international

Black Panther Wakanda Forever: 452m domestic, 388m international*

Black Panther: 700m domestic, $646m international

So of the last 4 MCU movies, only one has performed worse than the previous entry in the solo series and all four sequels had the misfortune of now being released in the largest foreign market in the world, and possibly soon to be the highest grossing market in the world. The only one that didn't had the titular character recast due to a tragic death. 

Spider-man NWH would have been the second highest grossing MCU title of the entire run if it had been released in China. Strange 2 would have certainly been in the $1 billion club with a China release. Your comps are lacking context.

11 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Here are the last 4 MCU movies released, all sequels, compared to the previous entry. What does that suggest to you about this alleged lack of interest

Spider-man No Way Home: 804m domestic, 1.1b international*

Spider-man Far From Home : 390m domestic, 741m international

Doctor Strange Multiverse of Madness: 411m domestic, 544m international*

Doctor Strange: 232m domestic, 445m international

Thor Love and Thunder: 343m domestic, 417m international*

Thor Ragnarok: 315m domestic, 538m international

Black Panther Wakanda Forever: 452m domestic, 388m international*

Black Panther: 700m domestic, $646m international

So of the last 4 MCU movies, only one has performed worse than the previous entry in the solo series and all four sequels had the misfortune of now being released in the largest foreign market in the world, and possibly soon to be the highest grossing market in the world. The only one that didn't had the titular character recast due to a tragic death. 

Disney grossed about $4 billion per year in 2018/2019 for the MCU movies they chose to release -- and just over $2.5 billion on the movies they chose to release in 2022.

Is your point that this is because Disney are releasing movies in less popular franchises than they were before?  If so, then I agree, and we can move on.

20 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Disney grossed about $4 billion per year in 2018/2019 for the MCU movies they chose to release -- and just over $2.5 billion on the movies they chose to release in 2022.

Is your point that this is because Disney are releasing movies in less popular franchises than they were before?  If so, then I agree, and we can move on.

MCU movies are getting more popular, not less popular. 3 out of 4 of their sub-franchises saw growth in revenue despite not being allowed to play in the second highest grossing film market in the world. This trend is certainly going to continue with the release of Ant-man 3 in three weeks which is tracking for around 50% higher opening weekend than Ant-man 2. The only titles with relatively low grosses were the three non-sequel films, which were also hurt by not being released in China.

1 hour ago, sblfilms said:

This trend is certainly going to continue with the release of Ant-man 3 in three weeks which is tracking for around 50% higher opening weekend than Ant-man 2. 

no shit the average ant hill has up to half a million workers thats a ton of potential ticket sales

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Dude it's BECAUSE of Fiege those Spiderman movies are as good as they are. Without his involvement you get the Venom movies and Morbius. A movie I still haven't seen. Your giving Sony credit for Feige's creative touch.

Morbius is just like other Marvel movies though.

I was thinking about this topic again last night before I went to bed and became interested in another way of measuring the popularity of MCU films in the market: the percentage of total box office revenue generated by MCU movies annually.

2022: 9.8%

2021: 14.8%

2020: 0%

2019: 11.9%

2018: 9.7%

2017: 6.5%

2016: 4.7%

2015: 5%

If there is anything depressing MCU performance, it is the lingering effects of Covid caution in the 40-60 age ranges around the world, and China blocking everything Marvel from being released there since the beginning of the pandemic. But the relative popularity of MCU titles within the market is just the same as its "peak" years of 2018/2019.

1 hour ago, sblfilms said:

I was thinking about this topic again last night before I went to bed and became interested in another way of measuring the popularity of MCU films in the market: the percentage of total box office revenue generated by MCU movies annually.

2022: 9.8%

2021: 14.8%

2020: 0%

2019: 11.9%

2018: 9.7%

2017: 6.5%

2016: 4.7%

2015: 5%

If there is anything depressing MCU performance, it is the lingering effects of Covid caution in the 40-60 age ranges around the world, and China blocking everything Marvel from being released there since the beginning of the pandemic. But the relative popularity of MCU titles within the market is just the same as its "peak" years of 2018/2019.

Dude you didn't have to even go through all that. It's clear to anyone outside of this board that these movies and this genre are as popular as ever. Five of the top ten highest grossing films of 2022 were "gasp!" superhero movies. Four were Marvel movies and so were two of the top FIVE. Oh and number 11 was Black Adam.

mojo-logo-bg.png
WWW.BOXOFFICEMOJO.COM

1 Top Gun: Maverick $718,318,561 4,751 $718,732,821 May 27 Paramount Pictures
2 Black Panther: Wakanda Forever $436,499,646 4,396 $452,175,019 Nov 11 Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures
3 Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness $411,331,607 4,534 $411,331,607 May 6 Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures
4 Avatar: The Way of Water $401,007,908 4,340 $603,434,732 Dec 16 20th Century Studios
5 Jurassic World: Dominion $376,851,080 4,697 $376,851,080 Jun 10 Universal Pictures
6 Minions: The Rise of Gru $369,695,210 4,427 $369,695,210 Jul 1 Universal Pictures
7 The Batman $369,345,583 4,417 $369,345,583 Mar 4 Warner Bros.
8 Thor: Love and Thunder $343,256,830 4,375 $343,256,830 Jul 8 Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures
9 Spider-Man: No Way Home $231,808,708 4,336 $804,793,477 Dec 17 Sony Pictures Entertainment (SPE)
10 Sonic the Hedgehog 2 $190,872,904 4,258 $190,872,904 Apr 8 Paramount Pictures
11 Black Adam $168,054,237 4,402 $168,152,111 Oct 21 Warner Bros.
12 Elvis $151,040,048 3,932 $151,040,048 Jun 24 Warner Bros.
13 Uncharted $148,649,929 4,275 $148,648,820 Feb 18 Sony Pictures Entertainment (SPE)
14 Nope $123,277,080 3,807 $123,277,080 Jul 22 Universal Pictures
15 Lightyear $118,307,188 4,255 $118,307,188 Jun 17 Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures
16 Smile $105,935,048 3,659 $105,935,048 Sep 30 Paramount Pictures
17 The Lost City $105,344,029 4,283 $105,344,029 Mar 25 Paramount Pictures
18 Bullet Train $103,368,602 4,357 $103,368,602 Aug 5 Sony Pictures Entertainment (SPE)
19 The Bad Guys $97,233,630 4,042 $97,233,630 Apr 22 Universal Pictures
20 Fantastic Beasts: The Secrets of Dumbledore $95,850,844 4,245 $95,850,844 Apr 15 Warner Bros.
21 DC League of Super-Pets $93,657,117 4,332 $93,657,117 Jul 29 Warner Bros.
22 Where the Crawdads Sing $90,230,760 3,650 $90,230,760 Jul 15 Sony Pictures Entertainment (SPE)
23 The Black Phone $90,123,230 3,156 $90,123,230 Jun 24 Universal Pictures
24 Sing 2 $86,307,835 3,892 $162,790,990 Dec 22 Universal Pictures
25 Scream $81,641,405 3,666 $81,641,405 Jan 14 Paramount Pictures
26 Morbius $73,865,530 4,268 $73,865,530 Apr 1 Columbia Pictures

So much for "super hero fatigue".

1 hour ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Dude you didn't have to even go through all that. It's clear to anyone outside of this board that these movies and this genre are as popular as ever. Five of the top ten highest grossing films of 2022 were "gasp!" superhero movies. Four were Marvel movies and so were two of the top FIVE. Oh and number 11 was Black Adam.

mojo-logo-bg.png
WWW.BOXOFFICEMOJO.COM

So much for "super hero fatigue".

I said that people won't get tired of super hero movies (the plot of Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back is about Hollywood buying up every comic book property to make movies and that movie came out over 20 years ago), but I DO think the idea of extended universes isn't really sustainable. We haven't really seen the effects yet, but things like how you have to have seen WandaVision to understand what the fuck is going on in the last Doctor Strange movie... I think people eventually tune out. I haven't, but I know plenty of people who won't even start watching MCU stuff beause of how interconnected it all is now.

Like someone else said earlier, I think there's a reason we kind of settled on the trilogy. Trilogies are nice.

5 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

I said that people won't get tired of super hero movies (the plot of Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back is about Hollywood buying up every comic book property to make movies and that movie came out over 20 years ago), but I DO think the idea of extended universes isn't really sustainable. We haven't really seen the effects yet, but things like how you have to have seen WandaVision to understand what the fuck is going on in the last Doctor Strange movie... I think people eventually tune out. I haven't, but I know plenty of people who won't even start watching MCU stuff beause of how interconnected it all is now.

Like someone else said earlier, I think there's a reason we kind of settled on the trilogy. Trilogies are nice.

But audiences don’t care. SOME people do, people like us who are terminally online and use that time to talk about movies do. But normal people don’t. More people showed up to Endgame than Infinity War and Endgame is the MOST dependent on context movie in the whole MCU.

• Halal 2

1 minute ago, Kal-El814 said:

But audiences don’t care. SOME people do, people like us who are terminally online and use that time to talk about movies do. But normal people don’t. More people showed up to Endgame than Infinity War and the latter is the MOST dependent on context movie in the whole MCU.

Fair point, however you could also say that the extra people who showed up for Endgame were people who saw Infinity War after it left theaters. Counterpoint to my own point is that one assumes more people watched the last Doctor Strange movie than watched WandaVision.

Sure, there are people who just want to see big CGI go boom, I just think it will eventually fizzle out and they'll try to reboot it, only the reboot won't work. We'll be back to mostly standalone trilogies and/or whatever the hell the DC universe is.

1 minute ago, Kal-El814 said:

But audiences don’t care. SOME people do, people like us who are terminally online and use that time to talk about movies do. But normal people don’t. More people showed up to Endgame than Infinity War and the latter is the MOST dependent on context movie in the whole MCU.

It cannot be overstated how little the average movie watcher cares about anything beyond what is in the particular flick they are watching. Like I mentioned previously, if you just look at the box office performance of MCU movies title to title, it becomes exceedingly clear that a decent portion of the audience is just going to see the titles that seem interesting to them and skipping the rest.

Just as an example, I’ve talked a customer who had only watched the three Iron Man movies before seeing *Endgame* 😂 They didn’t even know that the other solo movies and Avengers movies told a story that all went together. 

I think it can also be hard to know what it is like to watch an MCU movie knowing all the plot points and characters from the rest of the series and how they play together compared to the person who hasn’t kept up with everything. I think Feige and Co do an incredible job of making the story told in each film accessible to those who haven’t seen a single MCU film and those who’ve seen them all. It’s one of the hardest tricks they pull off.

7 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

I think it can also be hard to know what it is like to watch an MCU movie knowing all the plot points and characters from the rest of the series and how they play together compared to the person who hasn’t kept up with everything. I think Feige and Co do an incredible job of making the story told in each film accessible to those who haven’t seen a single MCU film and those who’ve seen them all. It’s one of the hardest tricks they pull off.

I do think this is the smartest thing they leverage from these movies being based on comics… most mainstream, serially published comics make SOME attempt to fill you in on what’s happening in any given issue, even if it’s book 3 of 4 in a series that has hundreds of issues. There’s stuff for the regulars and stuff for first timers.

8 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

Sure, there are people who just want to see big CGI go boom, I just think it will eventually fizzle out and they'll try to reboot it, only the reboot won't work. We'll be back to mostly standalone trilogies and/or whatever the hell the DC universe is.

They’re only going to keep the shared universe stuff up as long as the juice is worth the squeeze. They already do this to some extent… Iron Man 3 might as well not have happened, Abomination and Leader were on the shelf for about 15 years, there have been almost no references to a Celestial hand sticking out of the ocean, etc. To say nothing about there being 2 different X-Men timelines that make no sense together, Deadpool’s existence makes no sense in-continuity, etc. There’s gonna be ANOTHER Fantastic Four, MORE X-Men shit, who fucking knows which Venom will show up where, etc.

It doesn’t matter.

• Guillotine 1
  • Halal 1

8 hours ago, sblfilms said:

It cannot be overstated how little the average movie watcher cares about anything beyond what is in the particular flick they are watching. Like I mentioned previously, if you just look at the box office performance of MCU movies title to title, it becomes exceedingly clear that a decent portion of the audience is just going to see the titles that seem interesting to them and skipping the rest.

Just as an example, I’ve talked a customer who had only watched the three Iron Man movies before seeing *Endgame* 😂 They didn’t even know that the other solo movies and Avengers movies told a story that all went together. 

Heck, I already told this story ITT!

On 1/25/2023 at 7:03 AM, Keyser_Soze said:

His story about some dude who just wanted to see some explosions not caring if he saw Infinity War before Endgame springs to mind. :p

I liked The Dark World so that sounds like a compliment to me. :p

When I watched it I said it was no worse than any marvel origin story and certainly better than Captain America or Thor #1.

It's weird when people pile on to a hate train but it was weird that Morbius was the one they did it with. It's like people haven't actually seen an actual BAD movie before, because this was at least average. 🤷

My wife has an impressive ability to find enjoyment in bad movies, completely u swears sing the movie us bad.

She didn’t finish Morbius, which tells me everything about just how poorly made the film is

8 hours ago, sblfilms said:

My wife has an impressive ability to find enjoyment in bad movies, completely u swears sing the movie us bad.

She didn’t finish Morbius, which tells me e wry thing about just how poorly made the film is

It was 5 O'clock somewhere!

• Haha 1

On 1/29/2023 at 3:22 AM, Air_Delivery said:

I really enjoyed The Banshees of Inisherin. As long as regular movies like this are made I'm fine with ignoring superhero movies. 

The MCU should have ended with Avengers Infinity Wars. American corporations don't know how to end a series without driving it into the ground first. 

Interesting because neither of the two longest running film franchises of all time are American.

On 2/3/2023 at 5:53 AM, Keyser_Soze said:
GettyImages-1456709450.jpg?w=1000&h=563&
VARIETY.COM

Seth Rogen says it's hard watching Marvel movies as an adult without children.

Not enough weed and high laughing for his taste. 

Seth Rogen GIF by Golden Globes

Edit oh I actually read (some) of it, he produces The Boys? That show stinks. 

• Haha 1