Adult Swim Severs Ties With ‘Rick And Morty’ Co-Creator Justin Roiland

TheShader

3 minutes ago, Chris- said:

Doesn’t he voice both main characters? Seems like a, uh, challenge to work around. 

My guess is there are many people who can voice very similar to him. As long as it's close enough, many ideas came from other writers last season, and it was a pretty damned good season.

Also, a good point I saw on Reset: R&M is such a crazy show -- they've fucking killed some/many/all of the original characters, technically, and it's part of the storyline -- that you could have them change voices completely and not even be close and somehow make sense of it.

3 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

Also, a good point I saw on Reset: R&M is such a crazy show -- they've fucking killed some/many/all of the original characters, technically, and it's part of the storyline -- that you could have them change voices completely and not even be close and somehow make sense of it.

Do it like when Sliders recast Jerry O'Connell. :daydream:

5 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

They did exactly this in Amazing World of Gumball. They had an episode where the kids thought they were growing up and their voices were changing and going deeper, so they had teen/cracking voices for the whole episode and then it ends with them regaining their child voice, but it's completely different voice actors who've stuck with the series since. They even joke about how their voices aren't exactly the same but close enough.

51 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

Completely makes sense, and the voices aren't so difficult to replicate, but will be weird to adjust. I assume this also affects Solar Opposites as well, Roiland's other show, not just Rick and Morty.

Apparently he's the third main cast member on Solar Opposites to have sexual misconduct allegations against them.

• Shocked 2

7 hours ago, Jason said:

Apparently he's the third main cast member on Solar Opposites to have sexual misconduct allegations against them.

WTF, who else? There’s only like 4 main cast members. I know there was something a couple years ago about Middleditch, but who’s the third?

"Guilty until proven innocent" is bad enough. But today's media really pushes the "guilty, and I hope you burn in hell" edict a bit too much for my tastes =/ For R&M, if all people think that Roiland does is provide a couple of voices, well then, so long R&M - it was fun while it lasted...

9 minutes ago, IdeaOfEvil said:

"Guilty until proven innocent" is bad enough. But today's media really pushes the "guilty, and I hope you burn in hell" edict a bit too much for my tastes =/ For R&M, if all people think that Roiland does is provide a couple of voices, well then, so long R&M - it was fun while it lasted...

If Adult Swim is deciding to sever ties at this point, I'm going to trust that things aren't looking great for Justin as far as his innocence goes. It's not llke AS is an organization completely unrelated to Justin. If there are people outside of Justin himself that has some grasp on the truthfulness and severity of the claims waged against him, it would likely be the people at AS. Especially if creepy harassing texts turn out to be 100% real. This isn't like Reddit and CNN canceled the show. 

And, to my understanding, Justin hasn't been as involved with the show for the last few seasons outside of the voices. Which makes sense with all the projects he was slowly taking on. 

39 minutes ago, IdeaOfEvil said:

Have you read the dude’s DMs with 16 year old kids? No matter whether he committed any crimes, he’s a POS.

1 hour ago, sblfilms said:

Have you read the dude’s DMs with 16 year old kids? No matter whether he committed any crimes, he’s a POS.

Also the whole “guilty until proven innocent” lament doesn’t apply when the courts aren’t involved? This observation is always so silly to me.

What we know is more than enough for Adult Swim to reasonably want nothing to do with the guy. And like I said above, given how frequently this guy apparently misbehaves I'm sure there's a ton of shit Adult Swim is aware of that we're not that fed into their decision.

5 hours ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Reading the IGN comments on this story is gross. Actually reading the IGN comments on almost any story that has a whiff of controversy is gross. 

The gamer community as a whole seems kinda gross. 

Start reading PC Gamer articles where they close the comments on stories like these.

I understand why they had to do it. Especially if we are still at the "there's still shit coming" stage of the scandal but this is definitely the kind of thing that will bug the hell out of me. Even if it does make sense in universe.

The show seems like it was kind of reaching series fatigue anyway, so not a huge loss.

• Haha 2

I know people think it would be funny to have some kind of in-universe explanation for the voice change, or even have rotating voices each episode, but that honestly all sounds really lame and kind of played out with how meta the show gets sometimes. I'm already kind of over when they make a meta joke about the episode. Just get a VA that can do a decent impression and continue like nothing ever happened.

4 minutes ago, Bjomesphat said:

I know people think it would be funny to have some kind of in-universe explanation for the voice change, or even have rotating voices each episode, but that honestly all sounds really lame and kind of played out with how meta the show gets sometimes. I'm already kind of over when they make a meta joke about the episode. Just get a VA that can do a decent impression and continue like nothing ever happened.

Yea, it'd be funny for exactly 1 episode, IMO.