Thronebreaker: The Witcher Tales - updated with reviews

Commissar SFLUFAN

Thronebreaker: The Witcher Tales transforms Gwent into magic (Polygon)

It’s a fully functional, 30-plus-hour isometric RPG powered by cards. Not only is it an excellent narrative experience in its own right, but it also proves out the flexibility and nuance of an exceptional CCG. Several hours in, I felt like I was learning magic tricks.

GamesRadar+ - 100%

It's as if the folks at CD Projekt Red weaponized a game to specifically target my interests, despite the fact that I've not spent a single minute playing as Geralt. Thronebreaker calls to mind the supreme polish of Hearthstone; Diablo 2's rich isometric worlds; ethereal writing a la inkle's 80 Days; upgrading my base camp in Darkest Dungeon; the hard choices and heartbreak of Telltale's The Walking Dead. I've done my best to avoid any spoilers for Thronebreaker's story and surprise puzzle elements for this review, because you deserve to experience them for yourself. Thronebreaker isn't just a great spinoff of The Witcher, or just an excellent card game - it's a spectacularly crafted RPG that'll delight anyone who loves a good story wonderfully told.

PCGamesN- 70%

If you’re looking for an in-depth card game then Thronebreaker is probably not for you. There are some great ideas hidden just under its surface, but I find its take on Gwent simplistic. Fans of The Witcher and its bedrock of interwoven stories, however, are brilliantly catered for. It’s not the deepest RPG, but Meve is an excellent choice of main character – a powerful and devoted matriarch the likes of which we don’t see enough of in games. That said, Thronebreaker’s greatest success is its supporting cast. Brilliantly drawn and superbly voiced, each one oozes personality, meaning even this pared-down Witcher experience teems with the same sense of life as its predecessors.

Eurogamer - Recommended

Those initial concerns I had about Thronebreaker have vanished. Thronebreaker has proven a card game can be gripping, entertaining and powerful in a way I hadn't realised was possible. It's CD Projekt Red going above and beyond again - pushing things to another level with lavish care, attention and talent. Thronebreaker isn't a blockbuster, but it has the heart of one. I am smitten.

IGN - 94%

It’s much quicker to list the few things Thronebreaker gets wrong than the many, many things it does delightfully well. Aside from being one of the best-written RPGs I’ve played in years, the varied ways it keeps its card-based combat from stagnating across a 40ish-hour campaign are admirably clever and well thought-out. Deck building and some light RPG elements that allow upgrading specific cards give a feeling of progression to your two-dimensional army, and expertly crafted companions that aren’t shy about leaving you out in the cold create a satisfying, meaningful feedback system for your actions. If you like a good fantasy RPG at all, even if you’re not normally a collectible card game person, do yourself a favor and treat your inner card-slinging monarch to this one.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
18 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

I just started this game a week or two ago on my desktop PC and it is awesome. I'm on the second map and about 18 hours in - anyone else play and/or beat this? Would enjoy discussing it.

Buy it for me on PS4 and I would be happy to discuss it with you!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Greatoneshere said:

It's worth playing regardless but no Switch version. :) 

Yeah not saying no Switch version is a dealbreaker but this seems like the sort of thing that would be perfect to play on Switch in portable mode.

23 minutes ago, Jason said:

Yeah not saying no Switch version is a dealbreaker but this seems like the sort of thing that would be perfect to play on Switch in portable mode.

I don't have a Switch but I agree it would work perfectly for it. Though the graphics are intense despite not seeming that way - with all graphics maxed out I don't always achieve 60fps even though my PC is a powerhouse.

22 minutes ago, Jason said:

BTW does the story directly follow Witcher 3's, or does it not matter if you never finished Witcher 3?

It's actually a prequel and you don't even need to have played the other games at all. I believe it takes place between/during books 4 + 5 of the book series. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Jason said:

BTW does the story directly follow Witcher 3's, or does it not matter if you never finished Witcher 3?

I should have noted as well that the three Witcher games all take place after the entire book series chronologically within the story. They are essentially CD Projekt Red Witcher fanfiction. Really good fanfiction, but yeah. Same with Thronebreaker, except it takes place during the book series. 

9 hours ago, Mercury33 said:

@Greatoneshere I’m about where you are I think. A little behind. Just started the 2nd map and I also LOVE this game. They do just enough to keep the combat fresh and the story lives up to what you’d expect. 

Nice! I just finished the second map last night and started the third (relatively early into the 3rd map). The gameplay is so addicting. I've never been a big card game video game fan but between the excellent story/dialogue/characters and gameplay that pushes intelligence (I'm playing on the hardest difficulty) it's a really rewarding experience. I can see why the game got rave reviews. And for those who just want the story, etc. you can play the game on an option that skips all the card battles, if that's your jam. The only part I like but also don't like are the puzzle battles. I enjoy them and always do them, but sometimes they are too obtuse for their own good. Otherwise it's all good. I will say I enjoy The Banner Saga series even more, but that has lower ratings than this game, and that surprises me (just as an aside).

Have you played the three other Witcher games or read the books?

• 3 weeks later...

I just beat the game. Really enjoyed it and if people need a break from the AAA games but still want something meaty in terms of story and engagement I highly suggest Thronebreaker: The Witcher Tales. And you only need a passing familiarity with dark fantasy to enjoy it, no prior Witcher knowledge really required (except for one segment of the game for like 10 minutes). 

• 5 months later...