Thronebreaker: The Witcher Tales - updated with reviews

Commissar SFLUFAN

• 2 weeks later...

Gameplay footage:

Thronebreaker is a true Witcher RPG and a surprisingly sharp card puzzler (PC Gamer)

Rich in dialogue and decisions and clever card-based puzzles, with a vastly deepened version of Gwent at its center.

Thronebreaker: The Witcher Tales is more than a card game – it’s an RPG for diehard fans (PCGamesN)

Thronebreaker should please fans of The Witcher RPGs and Gwent Grandmasters, but it might be trying to do too much at once

Is Thronebreaker the new Witcher tale we seek, or is it bloody barren? (Eurogamer)

The glimpse of Thronebreaker I got was encouraging. Most importantly, it nailed the distinct personality of The Witcher, and the quality of writing, storytelling, voice acting and presentation was high. It wasn't The Witcher 4 and nor should you expect it to be, but as a new story in the same universe it's exciting nonetheless, and as a card game may be unprecedented.

9 minutes ago, ARZ said:

Wonder if it's related at all to the Gwent game out now.

Looks fun, but not sure I want to work on rebuilding my entire card collection...

It’s a stand alone single player game that originally was going to be part of Gwent but it got so big that a decision was made to spin it off.  It’s not a card collecting game per se. It’s a Visual Novel RPG-life game that uses Gwent for its gameplay mechanic. 

The vibes I get from it is Might & Magic: Clash of Heroes which is my favorite Xbox Live Arcade game. 

• Guillotine 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

I did not. I feel bad, like something inside is broken. :sun:

OOC how much time did you spend in it? I spent half the game not bothering with it. Out of my love for Witcher and trying to avoid its inevitable end, I started playing it and found that I ended up really liking it.

The game has also been upgraded even further so it's stronger now. Although I haven't been playing the multiplayer game because I hate feeling like I'm losing merely because my deck is shit and I don't want to invest the time just to get a competent deck.

(It's conceivable that if I paid a normal game's cost worth I'd have a decent deck, but I can't shake the feeling that I'd need to play much more beyond that, or pay much more.)

The nice thing about this though is I don't have to worry about having a shit deck and I get the upgraded version of the card game! :p 

27 minutes ago, legend said:

OOC how much time did you spend in it? I spent half the game not bothering with it. Out of my love for Witcher and trying to avoid its inevitable end, I started playing it and found that I ended up really liking it.

The game has also been upgraded even further so it's stronger now. Although I haven't been playing the multiplayer game because I hate feeling like I'm losing merely because my deck is shit and I don't want to invest the time just to get a competent deck.

(It's conceivable that if I paid a normal game's cost worth I'd have a decent deck, but I can't shake the feeling that I'd need to play much more beyond that, or pay much more.)

The nice thing about this though is I don't have to worry about having a shit deck and I get the upgraded version of the card game! :p 

I played Gwent a grand total of three times, maybe four? The truth is I despise card games that are made to be the pivotal mechanic of a game then wedged into a game otherwise not about cards at all. To me they are the musicals of games. Musicals typically derail a narrative to engage in excessive, looping, nonsensical pageantry, only to then lapse back into the talking scenes as if everyone had a seizure and no one is willing to admit it. I completely appreciate the value of strategy, and I never begrudged The Witcher for including a card game in their world. I'll even give them credit for making it a game people apparently enjoy. But I started electronic gaming precisely to eliminate/get away from these archaic elements of table top games and cards! We've come full circle now! Next people will extol the virtues of digital hula hooping! grumble grumble, I'm an old man! :p

1 hour ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

I played Gwent a grand total of three times, maybe four? The truth is I despise card games that are made to be the pivotal mechanic of a game then wedged into a game otherwise not about cards at all. To me they are the musicals of games. Musicals typically derail a narrative to engage in excessive, looping, nonsensical pageantry, only to then lapse back into the talking scenes as if everyone had a seizure and no one is willing to admit it. I completely appreciate the value of strategy, and I never begrudged The Witcher for including a card game in their world. I'll even give them credit for making it a game people apparently enjoy. But I started electronic gaming precisely to eliminate/get away from these archaic elements of table top games and cards! We've come full circle now! Next people will extol the virtues of digital hula hooping! grumble grumble, I'm an old man! :p

:lol: Okay, maybe there isn't much hope you would have liked it :p 

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't like card games before, either. While it doesn't quite do it for me like it used to, Hearthstone was the game to finally fix that for me. It didn't exactly get me playing Magic, but I do enjoy Eternal, The Elder Scrolls Legends, Faeria, etc. And I'm greatly looking forward to this and Artifact.

It's like there was a switch in my head that was always off, and the right game just needed to flip it to on.

On 10/12/2018 at 4:25 PM, Xbob42 said:

I didn't like card games before, either. While it doesn't quite do it for me like it used to, Hearthstone was the game to finally fix that for me. It didn't exactly get me playing Magic, but I do enjoy Eternal, The Elder Scrolls Legends, Faeria, etc. And I'm greatly looking forward to this and Artifact.

It's like there was a switch in my head that was always off, and the right game just needed to flip it to on.

I felt the same way about turn based tactical games until I played X-com.