PC won't turn on. Might need a new PSU

Brick

Last week I went to go turn my PC on, and it didn't boot up. The lights on the fans flashed for a brief second, and even spun up a bit, but then immediately stopped. A couple of nights earlier my PC had restarted on its own while I was playing a game with a friend, which was weird, but I didn't think much of it at the time. I'm thinking my power supply unit has finally hit the end of its run as it's now 10 years old. Unfortunately I've been so busy the past week I haven't really been able to properly research and find a replacement. I could use some help and advice from the more knowledgeable PC gamers/builders here.

I have found a handful of PSUs in quick searches, here

https://www.amazon.ca/Corsair-CP-9020139-NA-HX1000-Platinum-Performance/dp/B01N5NWKHH/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?crid=1GMA133CEL1I0&keywords=power%2Bsupply%2B1000w&qid=1672783389&sprefix=Power%2Bsupply%2Caps%2C112&sr=8-3&th=1

https://www.amazon.ca/CORSAIR-SeriesTM-RM750x-Modular-Supply/dp/B08R5W27JS/ref=mp_s_a_1_6?adgrpid=64875205401&gclid=CjwKCAiAwc-dBhA7EiwAxPRylAgKRWDAsE4Fu-Ii_usImtz1tWqABkQV8npvI3mVMDWaIE9OkyG7GhoCeHoQAvD_BwE&hvadid=603063707918&hvdev=m&hvlocphy=9000812&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=e&hvrand=10643367754987838968&hvtargid=kwd-305673614540&hydadcr=20831_13370553&keywords=seasonic+power+supply&qid=1672783263&sr=8-6

https://www.newegg.ca/seasonic-prime-ultra-gold-ssr-1000gd-1000w/p/N82E16817151199?Description=power supply unit 1000w&cm_re=power_supply unit 1000w-_-17-151-199-_-Product 

https://www.newegg.ca/asus-rog-thor-rog-thor-1000p2-gaming-1000-w/p/N82E16817320020?Description=power supply unit 1000w&cm_re=power_supply unit 1000w-_-17-320-020-_-Product

I don't know if these are good ones or not (especially for the price), but I know at least in terms of popular brands I should be safe with Corsair, Asus, Seasonic, EVGA, or Gigabyte.

What would you guys recommend, and what wattage should I look for since right now my current PSU is 750w and Silver rated? If I decide to upgrade in a couple of years when the RTX 50XX or even RTZ 60XX series are out, should I go up to 1000w, or would that probably be overkill and I'd be safe at 850w? Maybe even go up to 1200w? Obviously these would be guesses since we don't know what those future cards will be like, but based on current trajectory can we make an educated guess? Also while I would like to at least get a Gold rated PSU, is it worth it going to Platinum or even Titanium?

Thanks for any help in advance, guys.

If you can't wait, go with something cheaper for now. It looks like Thermaltake's ATX 3.0 PSU are available but the others are coming soon. No sense going all out if you're not getting a PSU with the new GPU connectors (so you can avoid dealing with adapters) so if you can't wait, get something cheaper to use temporarily or get one of the new Thermaltake PSUs.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, unogueen said:

DO you maybe an older PSU to test with? If you can manage even a blip of post, might be worth disconnecting all drives save for alternating dimms to make sure it's not RAM just in case. Or sometimes you leave it alone for a couple of days and kickstarts again.

Unfortunately I don't have an older one to test. Weirdly my case doesn't even make a post beep when I turn the computer on. 

3 hours ago, dualhunter said:

If you can't wait, go with something cheaper for now. It looks like Thermaltake's ATX 3.0 PSU are available but the others are coming soon. No sense going all out if you're not getting a PSU with the new GPU connectors (so you can avoid dealing with adapters) so if you can't wait, get something cheaper to use temporarily or get one of the new Thermaltake PSUs.

I am not really in any hurry since I don't use it for any work, thankfully, and I have my older laptop to play some of my older games until I can sort out the issue. What do you mean by adapters for connectors though? 

1 hour ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

@Brick IF you can live with a 600 watt PSU, I have a Corsair SF600 modular PSU I can part with. Let me know if that will do the trick sir! 

Thanks for the offer. Not sure if 600 watts would be enough. Any good online calculators that you know of? I have a 2080Ti and a i7 9700K with 32 GB of RAM if that helps. 

2 hours ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

You might want to try this to confirm it is your PSU.

I'll take a look at that video when I'm home tomorrow. 

Apparently the 2080 Ti needs at least 650W.

New GPUs like the RTX 4000 series use new ATX 3.0 power connectors. New GPUs come with adapters for the old cables but there have been issues with them overheating so you have to make sure they're securely plugged all the way in and not bent too much. So ideally if you're getting a new PSU you'll want an ATX 3.0 one.

2 hours ago, dualhunter said:

Apparently the 2080 Ti needs at least 650W.

New GPUs like the RTX 4000 series use new ATX 3.0 power connectors. New GPUs come with adapters for the old cables but there have been issues with them overheating so you have to make sure they're securely plugged all the way in and not bent too much. So ideally if you're getting a new PSU you'll want an ATX 3.0 one.

Oh. What's different with these new 3.0 connectors? Are they compatible with older hardware or are they made specifically for the new cards? 

They're made to deliver more power to new GPUs. For older cards you keep using the old PCIE power cables but without the new connector you need adapters to convert multiple 8 pin PCIE power cables to the new 16 pin connector for new GPUs. So ideally you want an ATX 3.0 PSU now since it will work with your current GPU but will be ready for your next without having to worry about the potential issues with the adapters.

17 minutes ago, dualhunter said:

They're made to deliver more power to new GPUs. For older cards you keep using the old PCIE power cables but without the new connector you need adapters to convert multiple 8 pin PCIE power cables to the new 16 pin connector for new GPUs. So ideally you want an ATX 3.0 PSU now since it will work with your current GPU but will be ready for your next without having to worry about the potential issues with the adapters.

The problem with the adapters has been figured out, and the same problem can also occur with the new ATX 3.0 cable too. Users weren't fully inserting and latching pins into the video card, although part of the reason why is a poor design that requires a lot of force to do it. A fully inserted adapter or cable won't have issues, so if he doesn't want to wait too long then any current power supply will do fine. There might even be more of a delay as companies tweak the 12VHPWR cable to make it easier to insert and latch.

850W will be more than enough for stock use or minor tweaking. If you want to do major tweaking or overclocking of the CPU and GPU at the same time, 1000W would provide some safety margin. 1200W is not necessary for normal use.

Hmm so would you suggest just getting a cheaper PSU at about the same wattage as I've been using now, and then upgrade it when I do my next full upgrade (will probably get the 6080Ti whenever that comes out like I said, as well as the current CPU at that time, maybe some more RAM, and a new monitor probably), or just go ahead and get a better PSU to future proof myself to hopefully last another ten years? 

11 hours ago, Brick said:

Hmm so would you suggest just getting a cheaper PSU at about the same wattage as I've been using now, and then upgrade it when I do my next full upgrade (will probably get the 6080Ti whenever that comes out like I said, as well as the current CPU at that time, maybe some more RAM, and a new monitor probably), or just go ahead and get a better PSU to future proof myself to hopefully last another ten years? 

If you get the best PSU you can afford right now, I'm pretty confident it will last 10 more years. You won't be missing out on too many features because high end power supplies mostly meet the more stringent power delivery requirements that the ATX 3.0 spec requires. And manufacturers should should provide 16-pin cables for older power (modular) power supplies; at the very least I know Corsair has guaranteed to sell new cables for their old PSUs.

Your other option wouldn't be terrible, though. You can get a decent $100 (USD) to fulfill your needs right now, and simply get the best one when you upgrade your system later. In this scenario, at least you'll have a spare lying around in case anything happens.  You could even take up Vic's offer to get you by. I used a 550w power supply with a 2080 Ti for a few years and only ran into one problem: For some reason Elden Ring caused it to trip the Over-Current Protection and shut down the system when using it with an Intel 10600k. But I used it for years with an AMD 3700x and never had that happen. Your 9700k uses less power than both the 3700x and 10600k so a 600W should be fine.

You can get a cheap 850W Corsair for $160.  I haven't seen any name brand 1000W PSUs for a decent price in Canada in my recent searches.

I wouldn't bother waiting for the ATX3.0 PSUs, they don't seem to be readily available, and there is very limited information on when they will be.  I suspect they will be priced at a big premium as well.  

8 hours ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

You can get a cheap 850W Corsair for $160.  I haven't seen any name brand 1000W PSUs for a decent price in Canada in my recent searches.

I wouldn't bother waiting for the ATX3.0 PSUs, they don't seem to be readily available, and there is very limited information on when they will be.  I suspect they will be priced at a big premium as well.  

Oh that's a pretty good price actually! Seeing as how it's Corsair I'm going to guess it's also a quality PSU as well, yes?

5 minutes ago, Brick said:

Well yeah, just wanted to make sure that wasn't one of their "lesser" models since the price is that low. 

It's on sale at the moment.  It's a quality PSU -- it's there middle of the range PSU -- you CAN spend more, but probably don't need to.

Not sure where you are, but you can also order directly from Corsair.

If you want to step up to 1000W, it's also on sale for $240.

5 hours ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

It's on sale at the moment.  It's a quality PSU -- it's there middle of the range PSU -- you CAN spend more, but probably don't need to.

Not sure where you are, but you can also order directly from Corsair.

If you want to step up to 1000W, it's also on sale for $240.

Ah OK. There is actually a Canada Computers by my house so I could get it delivered there for pickup if it'll be faster/cheaper than to my house. 

By middle of the range do you mean because it's 80 Plus Gold? As per my OP is going up to Platinum or Titanium even worth it, or are the slight improvements not worth the extra cost? 

27 minutes ago, Brick said:

Ah OK. There is actually a Canada Computers by my house so I could get it delivered there for pickup if it'll be faster/cheaper than to my house. 

By middle of the range do you mean because it's 80 Plus Gold? As per my OP is going up to Platinum or Titanium even worth it, or are the slight improvements not worth the extra cost? 

They have 4 series of regular-sized PSUs (in order of the ranking on their website) CX (Bronze), RM (Gold), HX (Platinum), AX (Titanium).

ATM, I am planning on buying a Corsair RM1000x for my build.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/10/2023 at 1:30 PM, AbsolutSurgen said:

Went ahead and bought this one at my local CC. Installed it last night, and yup it was my old PSU that was the problem. Thanks for the recommendation. There's a couple of my case fans that don't quite reach their sockets now, so I'll have to grab a couple of extension cables (the Corsair PSU only comes with one molex cable which is a shame), but other than that I got everything hooked back up and my PC booted up. 

• Halal 1

59 minutes ago, Brick said:

Went ahead and bought this one at my local CC. Installed it last night, and yup it was my old PSU that was the problem. Thanks for the recommendation. There's a couple of my case fans that don't quite reach their sockets now, so I'll have to grab a couple of extension cables (the Corsair PSU only comes with one molex cable which is a shame), but other than that I got everything hooked back up and my PC booted up. 

I'm guessing CC is NOT "Circuit City", but this brought back fond memories from childhood. :p

On 1/9/2023 at 4:01 PM, Brick said:

Thanks for the offer. Not sure if 600 watts would be enough. Any good online calculators that you know of? I have a 2080Ti and a i7 9700K with 32 GB of RAM if that helps. 

I have that exact same set of components, and I have a 850watt power supply, Corsair platinum I think!