Eli Roth's 'Thanksgiving' Arriving Nov 17th in Theaters (Full Trailer Attached)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • SoberChef changed the title to Eli Roth's 'Thanksgiving' Arriving Nov 17th in Theaters (Full Trailer Attached)

I hope this is good, but has Eli Roth written/directed anything good? I know he has a certain style but it hasn't translated into good movies. I mean: Cabin Fever, Hostel, Hostel: Part II, Aftershock, The Green Inferno, Knock Knock, Death Wish (Bruce Willis version) and The House with a Clock in Its Walls. Not a good resume. He's also doing the Borderlands movie which is almost done as well so I hope he can step it up. 

43 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

I hope this is good, but has Eli Roth written/directed anything good? I know he has a certain style but it hasn't translated into good movies. I mean: Cabin Fever, Hostel, Hostel: Part II, Aftershock, The Green Inferno, Knock Knock, Death Wish (Bruce Willis version) and The House with a Clock in Its Walls. Not a good resume. He's also doing the Borderlands movie which is almost done as well so I hope he can step it up. 

Nope, and this will probably be crap too. I think there's only hype for this just because of the Grindhouse fake trailer, and him constantly saying/being asked about turning it into a real movie. 

• True 1

5 minutes ago, Brick said:

Nope, and this will probably be crap too. I think there's only hype for this just because of the Grindhouse fake trailer, and him constantly saying/being asked about turning it into a real movie. 

I think you're right and this is the case, which is what I had been suspecting. That and the "fake" Thanksgiving trailer that was part of Grindhouse was well done (probably Eli Roth's best work) and is a fan favorite among the fake trailers they made for that double feature, so there is some hype for this. But just look at Lights Out, a horror film that had a greeat short film but sucked as a feature length film and it was done by the same person who did the short film. I'm not hopeful for this or Borderlands but I hope I'm wrong. I think he's probably just not a good writer/director. I'm not sure what Robert Rodriguez and Quentin Tarantino saw in him (Eli Roth, while also starring in Inglourious Basterds, directed the black and white propoganda short film that stars Daniel Bruhl, the film within the film segment) to shepherd his initial career and make those two short films for them. Perhaps they were huge Cabin Fever fans, I know the Z-grade aspects of that horror film have a cult fanbase enjoying the "so bad it's good" nature of his first film.

2 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

The Green Inferno wasn't bad.

One movie out of eight "not being bad" is damning with very faint praise.

4 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Well I haven't seen the other ones you listed. :p

(I saw Knock Knock and yeah not that good)

All his movies, if it helps any, hover somewhere around The Green Inferno or Knock Knock levels of quality. Even his more straightforward movies (which are also his most recent two), Death Wish and A House with a Clock in Its Walls, are mediocre at best and those are his two highest rated films among critics and audiences. That doesn't mean it's a sure thing Thanksgiving and Borderlands will be bad, but it's not a good sign.

5 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I've never been more sure of anything in my life.

My only hope is that it'll be good because it has a stacked cast, but I agree, it will likely be bad, especially with Eli Roth writing and directing it. He's apparently a fan of the games, which is why he's making it in the first place, which might help. :p 

18 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

My only hope is that it has a stacked cast

I mean it's stacked already

Cate Blanchett, Jack Black, Kevin Hart, Jamie Lee Curtis, Janina Gavankar!

It's gonna be great based on that. But unfortunately we have seen that even Oscar Winners in video game movies don't guarantee greatness. Ben Kingsley in BloodRayne for instance. :p

• True 1

• 1 month later...
Just now, silentbob said:

Port Perry, Ontario is where they filmed, or roughly a 45min to a hour drive northeast of Toronto. Pretty close to the same area where they filmed the newest IT films.  

Cool, just wanted to know because Inwanna visit a lot of canada very soon!

• Halal 1

On 10/5/2023 at 2:26 PM, Brick said:

15 hours ago, Brick said:

I just saw this tonight with a couple of friends and it was pretty good! It had a lot of funny moments, and some fun kills. Both of them said it kind of reminded them of My Bloody Valentine and Scream. 

I guess he surpassed your expectations at least. I guess since the fake trailer was his best work so far that the feature film version would be too.

11 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

I guess he surpassed your expectations at least. I guess since the fake trailer was his best work so far that the feature film version would be too.

Yup I was pleasantly surprised that this was pretty solid. I'm sure there will even be a sequel if this is a success. 

• Halal 1