What Headset(s) do You Use?

SoberChef

So a couple weeks ago, I ended up snagging a pair of SONY MDR-XB950N1's for listening to podcasts/music on the go via bluetooth and they're pretty solid for sure when priced at a measely $100. This got me thinking about what I have as a headset for gaming (old Astro A50 Master Chief edition) which were bulky, had drop outs a lot and far too many wires. Fast forward to today where I stopped into Gamestop to snag a few hundred bucks in XBL money to pre-order incoming games for the fall and my eyes befell upon the Plantronics RIG 800LX wireless Dolby Atmos headphones. I had enough points to get an extra $25 off so I paid $125 for them.

I won't have time until the end of the week to really test these out but upon a cursory look at reviews, it seems as though I made a solid choice. Just was wondering what everyone else uses and also, if you have the set that I just bought, tell me about them and what you like/dislike!?

The RIG 800LX is a solid choice and comes with an Atmos license. I haven't used them myself but they were in the running when I was looking for a headset. I ended up going with the Razers Threshers Ultimate for my Xbox. It does wireless Dolby 7.1 and it uses optical as an input. Its one of the most comfortable headset I have used. The sound is among the best especially for wireless. The bass is really good, not too overpowering but definitely make a presence in games such as Rise of Tomb. My biggest gripe is that there is no mic monitoring. But I have gotten used to it. Would recommend if audio quality and comfort is a priority. 

I use Audioquest Nighthawks with an in-line microphone cable that I got from Audioquest.  I was considering getting a mod mic, but the microphone on the cable was surprisingly good.  Their perfect for gaming for me since the imaging on them is stellar, they don't get too warm since their semi-open, and their so comfortable that you can wear them for hours on end without the slightest bit of pain.  

I use the Gold headset for my PS4 and love them. 

Seinhessier HD558 with a modmic for PC - also a great combo. 

But for xbox - I am having a hard time finding a good pair of headphones that get loud enough for my tastes. I’ve returned about 3-4 pairs simply because I’ve had to max out the volume and it still wasn’t loud enough. Most of them plugged directly into the controller but I also tried turtle beach stealth 600. Same issue.

so I’m left using a 10yr old set of Pioneer first-gen wireless Dolby headphones (SE-DIR800C). They are loud and clear AF but have no bass. I use them with the modmic plugged into the controller with their splitter. It’s a hack solution but it works. 

I’d love to find a good loud pair of wireless headphones for the Xbox where having the volume at 2/3-3/4 is comfortable.  Even better if they didn’t need to use optical out. 

Those RIG 800LX are the set that I really want. Right now I use my PS Gold headset to play Sea of Thieves, and there's always a slight delay, plus I can't control the mix, which is annoying. 

When I'm on my PlayStation, there is no better set than the PS Gold. I am curious how much better the new version is. 

21 hours ago, Emblazon said:

Those RIG 800LX are the set that I really want. Right now I use my PS Gold headset to play Sea of Thieves, and there's always a slight delay, plus I can't control the mix, which is annoying. 

When I'm on my PlayStation, there is no better set than the PS Gold. I am curious how much better the new version is. 

So you are connecting the PS Gold headset via BT to a PC? Do you get all the options with them like the profiles and chat/game mixing? 

56 minutes ago, atom631 said:

So you are connecting the PS Gold headset via BT to a PC? Do you get all the options with them like the profiles and chat/game mixing? 

It connects via dongle. There aren't any options for volume mix, which is why I don't like using them. 

I have the Sony Platinums and I hate them. Great audio, but extremely uncomfortable. Before that I had the Golds with the blue band and they were super cozy. Sadly they finally stopped working so I had to switch, and the updated version of Golds have the same framing as the Plats so I'm stuck with what I got. I have to play with a towel on top of my head to keep them from giving me a migraine.

This seems like a good place to ask this... so I don't really play online anymore, but my son does. We've now gone through two of the 1st party xbox one chat headsets. The microphone has stopped working after a few weeks twice now. He's not mistreating this thing. It just keeps breaking. Judging by the reviews on amazon, this is a thing and this headset is a piece of junk.

What's a good chat headset to get? I don't want one that covers both ears. He needs to be able to hear the world around him. Anyone have any suggestions? Preferably something cheap and easy.

52 minutes ago, ort said:

This seems like a good place to ask this... so I don't really play online anymore, but my son does. We've now gone through two of the 1st party xbox one chat headsets. The microphone has stopped working after a few weeks twice now. He's not mistreating this thing. It just keeps breaking. Judging by the reviews on amazon, this is a thing and this headset is a piece of junk.

What's a good chat headset to get? I don't want one that covers both ears. He needs to be able to hear the world around him. Anyone have any suggestions? Preferably something cheap and easy.

I recommend the Turtle Beaches 600 stealth if you want to go wireless

Turtle Beach Stealth 600 Wireless Surround Sound Gaming Headset for Xbox One https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071ZRTMXF/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_n6PmBb426AR5Y

or the the Hyper X Cloud Stinger

HyperX Cloud Stinger Gaming Headset for PC, Xbox One, PS4, Wii U, Nintendo Switch (HX-HSCS-BK/NA) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01L2ZRYVE/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i7PmBb9CYA8HH

The Turtle Beach is usually around $80 but and the Hyper X about $50. I find the reason most headsets break is because of the cable part where it connects to the controller gets messed up. Which is why I would probably recommend going wireless if it's in your budget. My nephew's have gone through 3 Microsoft headsets one of them being my own because they always bend the cable. I got my nephew the TB 700 stealth and so far no issues with damage.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Pikachu said:

I use a Kingston Hyper X with my PC. It's a good, all in one headset. There's also a slightly more expensive Hyper X-2.

https://www.amazon.com/HyperX-Cloud-Gaming-Headset-KHX-HSCC-BK/dp/B0153XL4V2

I recently got the HyperX Cloud 2 and it works great with the PS4 after applying a firmware update, can change volume, etc using the dongle.  However, I was just wondering about the PC, I can't seem to control the microphone volume in Windows.  I don't usually play games using voice on PC, so I don't know how to even test it, but it is annoying that Windows wont let me adjust the microphone volume because the dongle is USB based. I stopped playing Sea of Thieves PC after my free Xbox pass expired, so I don't have anything with voice to try it lol.

1 hour ago, ort said:

I just don't want to get him one that has big padded cans that cover both of his ears. It seems like thats how most of them are these days...

Ah I got you. Unfortunately if you just want a chat headset they are gonna break. I have gone through maybe 6 chat headsets official and non official headsets. Wired headsets usually break where the connection is made. You just have to be careful with them unfortunately.

19 hours ago, jrcbandit said:

I recently got the HyperX Cloud 2 and it works great with the PS4 after applying a firmware update, can change volume, etc using the dongle.  However, I was just wondering about the PC, I can't seem to control the microphone volume in Windows.  I don't usually play games using voice on PC, so I don't know how to even test it, but it is annoying that Windows wont let me adjust the microphone volume because the dongle is USB based. I stopped playing Sea of Thieves PC after my free Xbox pass expired, so I don't have anything with voice to try it lol.

Do you have windows 10? Just got a pair of cloud alphas for my new gaming PC. I been out of gaming PC's for a while and I have not used windows 10. I had to google how to adjust volume. I'd imagine it would be the same for a USB headset as well.

Go to Sound options--> click on Recording tab--> go down to the hyperX microphone and right click on it--> Click Properties--> there should be a tab to adjust volume in here

To test it you can open the voice recorder app(you might have to DL it if you don't have it) record something and play it back to hear how it sounds.

22 hours ago, The def star said:

I recommend the Turtle Beaches 600 stealth if you want to go wireless

Turtle Beach Stealth 600 Wireless Surround Sound Gaming Headset for Xbox One https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071ZRTMXF/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_n6PmBb426AR5Y

or the the Hyper X Cloud Stinger

HyperX Cloud Stinger Gaming Headset for PC, Xbox One, PS4, Wii U, Nintendo Switch (HX-HSCS-BK/NA) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01L2ZRYVE/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i7PmBb9CYA8HH

The Turtle Beach is usually around $80 but and the Hyper X about $50. I find the reason most headsets break is because of the cable part where it connects to the controller gets messed up. Which is why I would probably recommend going wireless if it's in your budget. My nephew's have gone through 3 Microsoft headsets one of them being my own because they always bend the cable. I got my nephew the TB 700 stealth and so far no issues with damage.

Just bought the TB Stealth 600 for the bedroom xbox.  Other than the snug fit I have nothing bad to say about them.  They work great.

I will say, outside of the headphones themselves, after a couple of tries I never got the phone app to work.  The one where you can control the settings.  However, I didn't even know about it before I bought them so I guess no harm, no foul.  NOW I WANT IT TO WORK, THOUGH!

14 minutes ago, BuckFly said:

Just bought the TB Stealth 600 for the bedroom xbox.  Other than the snug fit I have nothing bad to say about them.  They work great.

I will say, outside of the headphones themselves, after a couple of tries I never got the phone app to work.  The one where you can control the settings.  However, I didn't even know about it before I bought them so I guess no harm, no foul.  NOW I WANT IT TO WORK, THOUGH!

Are you sure the phone app is supposed to work with the 600 stealth? I know you can hook it up to your PC via USB and control the settings. I know the 700 stealth have Bluetooth while the 600 do not. If you haven't up dated the firmware on the 600 I recommend that you do.

43 minutes ago, BuckFly said:

you dont find them extremely quiet? I couldnt take how I had to max the volume on them just for them to be even remotely loud. 

29 minutes ago, The def star said:

Are you sure the phone app is supposed to work with the 600 stealth? I know you can hook it up to your PC via USB and control the settings. I know the 700 stealth have Bluetooth while the 600 do not. If you haven't up dated the firmware on the 600 I recommend that you do.

I am f***ing idiot, def.  Don't listen to a damn thing I say, other than this...I have the 700s.

:doh:

However, the app still doesn't work.

8 minutes ago, atom631 said:

you dont find them extremely quiet? I couldnt take how I had to max the volume on them just for them to be even remotely loud. 

atom, they are quiet, but I just don't need them that loud.  Keep in mind I use them when my wife and daughter might be sleeping, or doing something else, just a few feet away.

Not guaranteeing I am keeping them just yet, but so far they serve my purpose.

EDIT:  Oh, and as noted above mine are the 700s, but I believe besides the BT capability they are essentially the same.

2 hours ago, bladimir2k said:

Do you have windows 10? Just got a pair of cloud alphas for my new gaming PC. I been out of gaming PC's for a while and I have not used windows 10. I had to google how to adjust volume. I'd imagine it would be the same for a USB headset as well.

Go to Sound options--> click on Recording tab--> go down to the hyperX microphone and right click on it--> Click Properties--> there should be a tab to adjust volume in here

To test it you can open the voice recorder app(you might have to DL it if you don't have it) record something and play it back to hear how it sounds.

Thanks for the info, I've been to that tab before but now it's changed....  What's weird is that tab did not work after initially updating the firmware to make the headset work with PS4 fully - the slider was just grayed out.  But I went to that tab just now and it did let me adjust, lol.  And I do have the Voice Recorder app from the Microsoft Store, just didn't realize it was installed.

1 hour ago, jrcbandit said:

Thanks for the info, I've been to that tab before but now it's changed....  What's weird is that tab did not work after initially updating the firmware to make the headset work with PS4 fully - the slider was just grayed out.  But I went to that tab just now and it did let me adjust, lol.  And I do have the Voice Recorder app from the Microsoft Store, just didn't realize it was installed.

Glad I could help!