Bayonetta Origins: Cereza and the Lost Demon [March 17, 2023] - reviews from OpenCritic posted

Keyser_Soze

Long before this trainee of the dark arts would come to be called Bayonetta, she took a fateful journey into the forbidden Avalon Forest. Alongside her was Cheshire, her very first demon, possessing Cereza’s stuffed toy. Play as both Cereza and Cheshire and search through the treacherous forest to look for the power to save Cereza’s mother.

Control both Cheshire and Cereza to solve puzzles and fend off fiends

Any good story has a lesson about teamwork, no? In this tale, Cereza and Cheshire coordinate their efforts to fight faeries and solve puzzles. Use the Left Joy-Con™ controller to move Cereza and bind enemies with her magic. With the Right Joy-Con controller, move Cheshire to slash and chomp foes.

Turn the pages of Cereza’s story as you explore the enchanting, storybook-inspired Avalon Forest

Avalon Forest is just as beautiful as it is beastly. Each new area looks like it has been painted carefully by hand. Fully narrated story scenes are told through the vibrantly illustrated pages of a storybook. Be sure to stop and smell the roses in this whimsical world, but don’t tarry too long—the forest has a taste for lost witches.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Game Information

Game Title: Bayonetta Origins: Cereza and the Lost Demon

Platforms:

• Nintendo Switch (Mar 17, 2023)

Trailer:

Developer: PlatinumGames
Publisher: Nintendo

Review Aggregator:
OpenCritic - 79 average - 80% recommended

Critic Reviews

Geeks & Com - French - 10 / 10

Bayonetta Origins is a game thats charming in every way. The original gameplay and the beautiful   color palette used make it a perfect fit for the Switch. It is a must have on the console that deserves to be viewed as much more than a simple spin-off of the other series.

Atomix - Spanish - 90 / 100

If you're a fan of the Bayonetta franchise, you're definitely going to enjoy it for being a breath of fresh air in terms of gameplay and exploring the origins of our favorite witch a bit more. On the other hand, if you have never read the series, I also recommend it, since spoilers regarding other games are kept as simple references.

Digitally Downloaded - 4.5 / 5

Those gripes are minor indeed. Bayonetta Origins is a far more brilliant addition to the Bayonetta character and mythos than I would have ever guessed it could be. It’s by turns sensitive, charming, exciting and dramatic. The game gives Bayonetta a depth of character that adds so meaningfully to the world and story of this incredible character. This is essential. It’s not a “spinoff.” It’s a critical addition to the franchise. PlatinumGames has truly delivered something both surprising and special with this effort.

Enternity.gr - Greek - 9 / 10

Bayonetta Origins: Cereza and the Lost Demon deserves a place in the adventures of the popular Umbra Witch.

GameSpot - 9 / 10

Bayonetta Origins is an achievement in artistry, innovation, and tenderness for the Bayonetta series--one that both celebrates and elevates its iconic heroine.

God is a Geek - 9 / 10

Bayonetta Origins is PlatinumGames bringing its A-game to the table, delivering a beautiful adventure with some wild ideas, unique combat, and a superb game from start to finish.

IGN - 9 / 10

Bayonetta Origins is a beautiful storybook brought to life as an imaginative action-adventure full of childlike wonder and endless charm.

Siliconera - 9 / 10

Bayonetta Origins is a wonderful game that shows how Cereza and Cheshire, and their friendship, grow through both gameplay and its story.

Twinfinite - 4.5 / 5

What seems to be a wholesome tale of two companions journeying together toward different goals quickly blooms into a deep, heart-warming story about the origins of one of gaming’s most loved female protagonists.

Wccftech - 9 / 10

Bayonetta Origins: Cereza and the Lost Demon’s restrained tone and quirky dual-character mechanics won’t immediately connect with everyone, but you owe it to yourself to give the game a chance. Bayonetta Origins eventually comes into its own in a big way, delivering escalating action, compelling character development, and expertly-executed fan-pleasing moments en route to a satisfying finale. This tale of friendship is the perfect companion for Bayonetta 3 and may even win over those who haven’t been bewitched by the franchise in the past.

Hobby Consolas - Spanish - 89 / 100

Bayonetta Origins is uncovered as a more than interesting metroidvania that, without reinventing the wheel of the genre, does well everything it puts on the table, with a technical invoice that, although it does not always give the breast, sometimes will make you doubt if you are playing on Switch. As soon as you like this subgenre, you will enjoy it from beginning to end.

Game Informer - 8.8 / 10

Much like Cereza herself, Bayonetta Origins doesn’t look like much on the surface, but I smiled more and more as its potential bubbled up to the surface. This is an exceptional and refreshing change of pace for the franchise, and you don’t even need to be a fan of the series or the action genre to enjoy it. Don’t underestimate what this pint-sized spellcaster and her demonic partner have to offer.

SECTOR.sk - Slovak - 8.5 / 10

Bayonetta Origins: Cereza and the Lost Demon is different from all previous Bayonetta games and exceeds expectations. It takes the form of a fairy tale book for children and has a similar story. While there is still action, it is more focused on the story and the friendship that forms between the two central characters. Additionally, the game surpasses expectations by offering a surprisingly long story campaign with an expansive world.

Spaziogames - Italian - 8.4 / 10

Bayonetta Origins: Cereza and the Lost Demon showed us a new way to tell the tales of the most beloved witch in videogames, with a brave gameplay formula that aims to satisfy even inexperienced players.

Cerealkillerz - German - 8.3 / 10

Platinum Games delivered a beautiful fairy tale for both Bayonetta fans and non-fans. Bayonetta Origins: Cereza and the Lost Demon's presentation is graphically and acoustically a treat. The Twin Stick puzzle gimmick and the implicit couch co-op combined with great story pacing makes for a good game outside of Platinum Games realm of all-out action games.

IGN Italy - Italian - 8.2 / 10

Bayonetta Origins: Cereza and the Lost Demon is a thoroughly enjoyable experience in its somewhat Zeldian mix of puzzles and combat, and while it doesn't invent anything new, it exploits the cooperative element of the two protagonists in an intriguing way.

The Games Machine - Italian - 8.2 / 10

Bayonetta Origins is different from all previous chapters in the PlatinumGames saga, but it tells a fascinating story and offers gameplay that in its simplicity manages to engage the player.

Daily Star - 4 / 5

Overall, a lovely little game. Not what we were expecting at all, and that’s a good thing. It’s wonderful to look at, tricky with its puzzles and helps to build out the Bayonetta franchise.

Destructoid - 8 / 10

Impressive efforts with a few noticeable problems holding them back. Won't astound everyone, but is worth your time and cash.

IGN Spain - Spanish - 8 / 10

Bayonetta Origins: Cereza and the Lost Demon is a great game of adventure, action and puzzles, with which Platinum shows that it has a talent for articulating more relaxed proposals. A very interesting addition to the Bayonetta universe that, far from what it seemed and in its own right, has ended up becoming a great video game.

PCMag - 4 / 5

Bayonetta Origins ditches ridiculous spectacle for a puzzle-filled, combat-packed storybook adventure starring the young witch.

Press Start - 8 / 10

Bayonetta Origins: Cereza and the Lost Demon is a fun and unexpectedly fleshed-out experience that seeks to only better illustrate the potential of what Bayonetta can be beyond action games. Its combination of engaging puzzles, simple but enjoyable combat and inviting exploration more than outdoes its slow start and simple combat. While it's a story that didn't need to be told, Bayonetta Origins: Cereza and the Lost Demon is a bewitching experience overall.

Shacknews - 8 / 10

Overall, I highly recommend Bayonetta Origins: Cereza and the Lost Demon, so long as you approach it as it is. Not a mainline Bayonetta game, but as a largely optional (yet still incredibly delightful) spin-off, standalone title.

TheSixthAxis - 8 / 10

I was genuinely surprised to find myself enjoying Cereza and the Lost Demon even more than I did Bayonetta 3. The laid-back exploration, the beautiful visuals, the unique control and combat scheme, and the fact that this is a fresh take on the franchise make it an altogether different experience, and one that furthers the series' lore while ensuring it opens itself up to an all-new audience.

WellPlayed - 8 / 10

Not at all what any Bayonetta fan might have expected, but when freed from the expectations of the franchise, Bayonetta Origins: Cereza and the Lost Demon stands on its own two feet as a charming, worthwhile, indie-inspired puzzle adventure game.

Video Chums - 7.7 / 10

Bayonetta Origins: Cereza and the Lost Demon is one of the most visually impressive games that I've ever played. It may not offer much of a challenge but its undemanding gameplay will allow you to more easily appreciate its gorgeous storybook world.

Checkpoint Gaming - 7.5 / 10

Bayonetta Origins: Cereza and the Lost Demon is a quirky little diversion from the main series. Replacing swift combat with slow-paced exploration and puzzles, it's quite a different attraction. I love the storybook illustrations and narration, and exploring the atmospheric Avalon Forest with Cheshire's various abilities was great fun. Issues with the forest's discouraging mazelike map and the simplistic combat are easily trumped by the oodles of character and charm offered by this whimsical spin-off.

GAMES.CH - German - 75%

Bayonetta Origins: Cereza and the Lost Demon is a nice prequel that mixes storybook with elements of Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons and suggestively parallels the Metroidvania genre, including a high focus on combat, by being much more linear than this. But there are many things providing the game to be a must-have. The main reason for that is the low aspiration for being at least half-way tough, especially in terms of fighting.

COGconnected - 72 / 100

I wanted to love Bayonetta Origins. And I do, sort of. This is a beautiful game set in an enchanting world. You get a deeper look at the troubled past of a fascinating character. Everything is fed through this fairytale lens, one that cranks up the charm and wonder. The writing is whimsical, the art design is impeccable, and the mechanics are terribly clever. But the game loses something in its execution. Repetitive design and breezy challenges kept me curious, but not compelled. Still, this is a unique, unusual experience. If it’s fairytale wonder and whimsy you’re looking for, then Bayonetta Origins: Cereza and the Lost Demon is what you need.

Digital Trends - 3.5 / 5

Even with some tricky controls, Bayonetta Origins: Cereza and the Lost Demon offers a charming adventure with surprisingly satisfying solo co-op combat.

GamesRadar+ - 3.5 / 5

Bayonetta Origins shows a great new side of the Umbral Witch, in a tale that's heartwarming as it is enjoyable. Combat and puzzles are a great one-two punch, but Cereza's restricted role and Cheshire's unfaltering nature undermine a little of the former.

Nintendo Life - 7 / 10

Bayonetta Origins: Cereza and the Lost Demon is a delightfully stylish origin tale that sees young Bayo take her first steps on the road to becoming the badass Umbra witch we all know and love. This is a graphically stunning fairy tale with plenty in the way of atmosphere and charm. However, long-term Bayo fans beware, it's also a game that's aimed squarely at a young/casual audience, introducing plenty of fun puzzle and combat mechanics but never really evolving them to a point where they become in any way challenging. Repetition creeps in later in the game and, although it ends with some bombastic sequences and a few nice shoutouts to the main series, it feels like a little more challenge and experimentation in puzzles and combat could have made this one absolutely essential for all ages.

CGMagazine - 6.5 / 10

Bayonetta Origins is a sub-par experience marred by sloppy combat and only somewhat redeemed by an incredible visual style.

Guardian - 3 / 5

This cutesy origin tale replaces the guns and sex appeal of the original action series with fairies and cuddly toys

VGC - 3 / 5

Bayonetta Origins sometimes feels like an idea half explored. In combat two sets of fists are better than one, but adventuring never ignites in the same way. There’s a level of invention and style we’ve come to expect from the studio, but this isn’t quite Pure Platinum.

Metro GameCentral - 5 / 10

A peculiarly pitched spin-off that has almost nothing to interest Bayonetta fans and instead offers an Ōkami Lite experience that is so undemanding it almost seems to run on autopilot.

Console Creatures - Recommended

Bayonetta Origins: Cereza and the Lost Demon offers fans a prequel story filled with engaging gameplay and storytelling moments.

Eurogamer - Recommended

A beautifully crafted exploration game brimming with combat and puzzles.

Eurogamer.pt - Portuguese - Recommended

Cereza and the Lost Demon arrives shortly after Bayonetta 3, but does not deserve to stay in its shadow. It's a merit-overflowing spinoff that tells an appealing and lovely origin story. At the same time, it features an evolved and more complex version of the gameplay system we had previously seen in Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons. Adding it all up, a big surprise, which goes beyond what is typically expected of a game that is outside the main line. It applies to both those who played the previous ones and who will meet this character for the first time.

Polygon - Unscored

If you’re looking for a cute, cozy platformer with simple battle mechanics and a playful story, look no further than Cereza and the Lost Demon. For those, like me, hoping to see how Cereza truly gained her power, and harnessed the seduction and raw magical prowess required to become the ultimate umbra witch, this game is a miss. And that’s fine. I just wish this new approach excited me as much as the previous ones did. I appreciate approachability — but Bayonetta has always been a series about toeing the line, and nothing about this title took a risk. I hope the next approach is worthy enough to stand on its own among the series’ best games.

Unboxholics - Greek - Worth your time

Bayonetta Origins: Cereza and the Lost Demon is a special game that deserves your attention especially if you are a fan of the main series. It's a very enjoyable addition to the franchise with new ideas and enjoyable gameplay with PlatinumGames' style being impressive once again. This isn't some indie release, but a complete package that will keep you busy for about 15 hours if you want to do everything it has to offer. I recommend investing your time if you want to learn more about the iconic lady and her background, or if you're looking for something different on your Nintendo Switch.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Bayonetta Origins: Cereza and the Lost Demon [March 17, 2023] - reviews from OpenCritic posted
8 minutes ago, EternallDarkness said:

Pretty cool game, but I have to say it is going to take me some time to get the hang of controlling both character at once without getting confused :lol:

I'm already used to this from Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons, so that won't be an issue. So far, game seems pretty good, waiting to see if it gets as good as all the glowing reviews made it out to be. So far it's been pretty simple and basic.

This game is bad. it wants to be Okami but with shitty controls and much less interesting lore. It also feels very hand-holdy like it was designed for a younger audience which is weird because of how drastically different the tone of the other Bayonetta games. It's almost like they just slapped the bayonetta name on it to maybe grab a few people who would otherwise look past this game. 

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

The game is remarkably average in all aspects. With so many good games out right now, I can’t muster much energy to play more of it. I a surprised it reviewed as well as it did. 

Honestly, Platinum is pretty average these days.

1st 5 years - Madworld, Bayonetta, Vanquish, Anarchy Reigns, Metal Gear Rising, The Wonderful 101, Bayonetta 2, The Legend of Korra, and Infinite Space

Last 5 years - This, Bayo 3, Babylon’s Fall, Sol Cresta, World of Demons, W101 Remaster, Astral Chain.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Brian said:

The game is remarkably average in all aspects. With so many good games out right now, I can’t muster much energy to play more of it. I a surprised it reviewed as well as it did. 

Honestly, Platinum is pretty average these days.

1st 5 years - Madworld, Bayonetta, Vanquish, Anarchy Reigns, Metal Gear Rising, The Wonderful 101, Bayonetta 2, The Legend of Korra, and Infinite Space

Last 5 years - This, Bayo 3, Babylon’s Fall, Sol Cresta, World of Demons, W101 Remaster, Astral Chain.

I played the demo and it was sooooo mid that I couldn’t even finish the demo with so many good things to play.

• True 1