~Anime Thread Recently Watched~

darkness35

Not necessarily watched, but this just came in today for me

https://imgur.com/a/3gVH6xv

On 9/16/2018 at 6:42 PM, Anzo said:

This was about a month ago and the series is now old I think but Space Patrol Luluco is absolutely worth the hour or so it takes to watch the entire series. Each episode is 7 minutes and each season is 4 episodes. 

Luluco is everything a Trigger anime has, and it's great.

8 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

I'm currently in the middle of season 3 of My Hero Academia. It's a surprisingly fantastic anime show. I also recently watched the first 13 episodes of Space Battleship Yamato 2202, which was also really good. I'm waiting for the back half to be released by FUNimation once it releases in Japan. 

I''m annoyed at 2202 where I'm at, but it isn't to say that it's bad, but just... :|

The most recent episode for MHA was good though. 

10 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

I'm currently in the middle of season 3 of My Hero Academia. It's a surprisingly fantastic anime show.

I watched a few episodes of that while I was stuck in a hotel for a month. I quite liked it, its definitely on my radar to watch. Do you happen to know if anyone streams it?

1 hour ago, darkness35 said:

Not necessarily watched, but this just came in today for me

https://imgur.com/a/3gVH6xv

Got highly recommended to watch this show by a friend. Also on my watch list, whenever I get time to binge watch it I will.

15 hours ago, darkness35 said:

I''m annoyed at 2202 where I'm at, but it isn't to say that it's bad, but just... :|

The most recent episode for MHA was good though. 

Where are you at in 2202? I'd be interested to hear what concerns/problems there are. It's not as good as 2199, but it's definitely better than most space opera anime I think, on average.

MHA is really good! I'm on episode 15 of season 3 now, just about, so, catching up. 

13 hours ago, Nokt said:

I watched a few episodes of that while I was stuck in a hotel for a month. I quite liked it, its definitely on my radar to watch. Do you happen to know if anyone streams it?

I watch it by . . . other means, but it is available for streaming on FUNimation's official website as well as on Crunchyroll (I watch the dub, which is quite good).

https://www.funimation.com/shows/my-hero-academia/ 

http://www.crunchyroll.com/my-hero-academia 

7 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

Where are you at in 2202? I'd be interested to hear what concerns/problems there are. It's not as good as 2199, but it's definitely better than most space opera anime I think, on average.

I'm up to the episodes currently available from the BD releases.  It's Gatlantis doing Gatlantis things.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

As I don't tend to keep up with stuff as it airs I finally got around to 2 shows from 2017, Made in Abyss and Princess Principal. Really enjoyed the latter for it's premise/setting and characters and found it to be quite fun overall despite the underwhelming ending. As for the former, all I can say is wow. Really enjoyable adventure that I can't wait for more of. Also have to say eps. 10 and 13 have had more of a lasting effect on me than anything else that I've watched, including GoT's Red Wedding.

Other than that just been going through some "older" stuff like The Garden of Sinners and rewatching a couple favorite shorter shows, Saga of Tanya the Evil (fantastic 5.1 mix for the dub, sadly the better VA of the jp track is only 2.0) and Bakemonogatari.

• Thanks 1

Just started rewatching Fullmetal Alchemist and I love it just as much as the first time I watched. Its just one of those shows that will never get dull for me.

Also tried to rewatch Death Note before FMA and it just definitely doesn't hold the same amount of charm. I made it until Misa shows up and stopped watching completely.

19 hours ago, Anzo said:

Seven Deadly Sins season 1 was as good as any anime I’ve watched recently. S2/3 was just okay.

Yeah I enjoyed season 1, I didn't make it more than a few episodes in S3.

44 minutes ago, Nokt said:

Just started rewatching Fullmetal Alchemist and I love it just as much as the first time I watched. Its just one of those shows that will never get dull for me.

Also tried to rewatch Death Note before FMA and it just definitely doesn't hold the same amount of charm. I made it until Misa shows up and stopped watching completely.

Fullmetal Alchemist or Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood?

And I re-watched Death Note about 1.5 years ago and I felt it held up well, only the animation and style of anime directing, etc. had aged but the story, etc. are all still great I found. 

1 hour ago, Greatoneshere said:

Fullmetal Alchemist or Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood?

And I re-watched Death Note about 1.5 years ago and I felt it held up well, only the animation and style of anime directing, etc. had aged but the story, etc. are all still great I found. 

2003 FMA, I wasn't as big of a fan of FMAB. Still a good show, just not quite there for me.

Perhaps I just don't enjoy it as much as I originally did. I found it a struggle to get through.

16 minutes ago, Nokt said:

2003 FMA, I wasn't as big of a fan of FMAB. Still a good show, just not quite there for me.

Perhaps I just don't enjoy it as much as I originally did. I found it a struggle to get through.

That's not that crazy - 2003 FMA is the better directed show (Seiji Mizushima directed it) while Brotherhood has the better story/material/plot/etc since the manga was finished for Brotherhood but wasn't for 2003 FMA. There's a lot to like about 2003 FMA, particularly before it splits off from the manga (it had to, the manga wasn't done yet at the time) and goes off in its own story direction (the 2003 FMA sequel film was peak 2003 FMA awesomeness).

One can't even watch Brotherhood without at least watching the first 28 episodes of 2003 FMA (since Brotherhood rushes right through all the great groundwork 2003 FMA did to make you care about the story and the characters) until Brotherhood picks up where 2003 FMA left off when it split off from the manga. From there, Brotherhood has some crazy highs (since it follows the finished manga all the way through), and is probably the better overall show, but 2003 FMA is the better directed one in my opinion. 

11 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

That's not that crazy - 2003 FMA is the better directed show (Seiji Mizushima directed it) while Brotherhood has the better story/material/plot/etc since the manga was finished for Brotherhood but wasn't for 2003 FMA. There's a lot to like about 2003 FMA, particularly before it splits off from the manga (it had to, the manga wasn't done yet at the time) and goes off in its own story direction (the 2003 FMA sequel film was peak 2003 FMA awesomeness).

One can't even watch Brotherhood without at least watching the first 28 episodes of 2003 FMA (since Brotherhood rushes right through all the great groundwork 2003 FMA did to make you care about the story and the characters) until Brotherhood picks up where 2003 FMA left off when it split off from the manga. From there, Brotherhood has some crazy highs (since it follows the finished manga all the way through), and is probably the better overall show, but 2003 FMA is the better directed one in my opinion. 

This Youtube series evaluating the two shows does a pretty good job of detailing why I like FMA more.

I would say that FMA:B isn't a bad show it just doesn't appeal to me as much. Like you said its well worth watching the original 28 episodes before you even watch Brotherhood. The character development feels richer in 2003 compared to brotherhood, the show just moves at a slower pace compared to its successor and I feel its pretty well justified. Brotherhood feels like it was made with the fact that you had watched the original.

Brotherhood also feels to me to have a much lighter tone and that it likes to break up the dark tones whenever they arrive. Not that 2003 is devoid of it, it just seems like its placed in certain situations and it lets the darker tones of the show drag out and make a stronger impact.

This is a pretty strong personal opinion, but I do not like Father or the ending of the show at all. It just feels cliche? to me (cheap maybe). I like the fact that 2003, with the movie, ends in a everything is good, but not quite as it should be. I mean Dante isn't a much better protagonist, Hohenheim having such little impact on 2003 (it leaves a lot of questions), Brotherhood having much better animation, there is a lot of pros and cons to both. I am going to rewatch Brotherhood after 2003 though, to see if its as I remember it.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Nokt said:

This Youtube series evaluating the two shows does a pretty good job of detailing why I like FMA more.

I would say that FMA:B isn't a bad show it just doesn't appeal to me as much. Like you said its well worth watching the original 28 episodes before you even watch Brotherhood. The character development feels richer in 2003 compared to brotherhood, the show just moves at a slower pace compared to its successor and I feel its pretty well justified. Brotherhood feels like it was made with the fact that you had watched the original.

Brotherhood also feels to me to have a much lighter tone and that it likes to break up the dark tones whenever they arrive. Not that 2003 is devoid of it, it just seems like its placed in certain situations and it lets the darker tones of the show drag out and make a stronger impact.

This is a pretty strong personal opinion, but I do not like Father or the ending of the show at all. It just feels cliche? to me (cheap maybe). I like the fact that 2003, with the movie, ends in a everything is good, but not quite as it should be. I mean Dante isn't a much better protagonist, Hohenheim having such little impact on 2003 (it leaves a lot of questions), Brotherhood having much better animation, there is a lot of pros and cons to both. I am going to rewatch Brotherhood after 2003 though, to see if its as I remember it.

Brotherhood is easily the more sensible and cohesive story. Because 2003 FMA had to make things up after using the manga for the first half of the show, a lot of the story decisions, etc. the anime writers make just doesn't fit with the pre-established mythology of the show. The story becomes almost completely nonsensical later in terms of philosopher's stones and what they do. 

Brotherhood keeps upping the ante and expanding the world appropriately whilst allowing things as they are introduced to work and be compatible with what came before. Father really tests the limits of uncontrolled science without moral considerations as a theme, etc. It's worth a re-watch.

The general opinion is Brotherhood is awesome and 2003 FMA should be forgotten. As you said, it's like they made Brotherhood in mind with the fact you'd seen 2003 FMA, which is true! They did, because it came out in Japan so soon after 2003 FMA. So for everyone to praise Brotherhood without taking into account it doesn't even work without the first 28 episodes of 2003 FMA means Brotherhood isn't automatically awesome and 2003 FMA is useless.

As you said, 2003 FMA is slower paced (because it is) and sticks with its darker tone without the moments of levity and sense of humor in the show nearly as much as Brotherhood does and that's because Brotherhood adapts the manga much more closer, which has a lot more humor and super deformed character moments than the 2003 FMA adaptation. It sounds like you like the direction and style and tone of 2003 FMA more than Brotherhood which means you'd even probably like 2003 FMA over the original manga, but that might be easier to determine on a re-watch of both. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Greatoneshere said:

Brotherhood is easily the more sensible and cohesive story. Because 2003 FMA had to make things up after using the manga for the first half of the show, a lot of the story decisions, etc. the anime writers make just doesn't fit with the pre-established mythology of the show. The story becomes almost completely nonsensical later in terms of philosopher's stones and what they do. 

Brotherhood keeps upping the ante and expanding the world appropriately whilst allowing things as they are introduced to work and be compatible with what came before. Father really tests the limits of uncontrolled science without moral considerations as a theme, etc. It's worth a re-watch.

The general opinion is Brotherhood is awesome and 2003 FMA should be forgotten. As you said, it's like they made Brotherhood in mind with the fact you'd seen 2003 FMA, which is true! They did, because it came out in Japan so soon after 2003 FMA. So for everyone to praise Brotherhood without taking into account it doesn't even work without the first 28 episodes of 2003 FMA means Brotherhood isn't automatically awesome and 2003 FMA is useless.

As you said, 2003 FMA is slower paced (because it is) and sticks with its darker tone without the moments of levity and sense of humor in the show nearly as much as Brotherhood does and that's because Brotherhood adapts the manga much more closer, which has a lot more humor and super deformed character moments than the 2003 FMA adaptation. It sounds like you like the direction and style and tone of 2003 FMA more than Brotherhood which means you'd even probably like 2003 FMA over the original manga, but that might be easier to determine on a re-watch of both. 

According to Wikipedia, she wanted the series to feature a different ending than the manga (something I was unaware of, I thought she actually had a hand in where the series separate). I don't really find a lot to be nonsensical, I mean some characters definitely just kind of get pushed aside or dropped and some things do get glossed over like using a child to send Hohenheim to Earth. So far its just been given a silly answer and left alone "we lose our connection as we get older". I still have 9 or so episodes and the movie left though.

Yeah I wasn't very fond of that general opinion. There was a lot of 2003 dislike when the new series was out and I was on the unpopular side of that haha. It seems as time has gone on though its mellowed out a bit. I definitely am going to watch Brotherhood again to see if it was just an overreaction on my part to the show. I never watched it again outside of my initial watch through where 2003 I've watched a good handful of times.

Yeah I was thinking about it a little bit. The easiest way I can think about it is that FMA:B is much more a shonen-esc show/manga, while 2003 for me branches away from that a little bit digging in directions that I'm more a fan of.

• 2 months later...

I just finished High School of the Dead for the first time. I've had the blu-ray for a while and heard on good authority it was a god damned masterpiece!

But seriously I think it gets a lot of  flack for it's fan service which I didn't find all that bad, except the matrix boobs. The biggest disappointment is the cliffhanger ending and we'll never get to see it finished because the writer died. :(

I mean it's generally rare to see Anime shows get more than one season but that's kinda changing these days, but yeah no hope for this one I guess. :rose: