Chris Hemsworth "taking time off" from acting following discovery of genetic predisposition for Alzheimer’s Disease

Chris Hemsworth told Vanity Fair that he is planning to take a good chunk of time off work once his press tour for the Disney+ series “Limitless” wraps. In the fifth episode of the series, Hemsworth meets with a doctor and it’s revealed that the “Thor” actor has a genetic predisposition for Alzheimer’s disease. As Vanity Fair reports: “His makeup includes two copies of the gene APOE4, one from his mother, the other from his father, which studies have linked to an increased risk of Alzheimer’s disease.”

Although Hemsworth said “it’s not like I’ve been handed my resignation,” the actor is now eight to 10 times more likely to develop the disease. Hemsworth’s grandfather is currently diagnosed with Alzheimer’s disease.

• Sad 3
  • Shocked 2
  • Hugs 1

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Chris Hemsworth "taking time off" from acting following discovery of genetic predisposition for Alzheimer’s Disease
17 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

If I had his money I'd completely retire and maximize my life experiences, especially with family.

This is more or less what I think about pretty much everyone on his level. If you like the work, by all means keep doing it. But also, take every opportunity/excuse to not work. You’ve earned it! 

It looks like it was more than just the genetic discovery. 

Shooting “Limitless” not only made Hemsworth discover his genetic predisposition for Alzheimer’s, but it also led to the actor meeting with death doulas for the series final episode and confronting the end of his life. Hemsworth said all of these experiences inspired him to take time off from acting.

“It really triggered something in me to want to take some time off,” Hemsworth said. “And since we finished the show, I’ve been completing the things I was already contracted to do.”

So it doesn't seem like he's been handed down this death sentence. It's just that in finishing a show which has his character confront mortality, it's led to him thinking more about living life. 

• Like 1

Jesus. Still he's young, so he's got what about 20 years before Alzheimer's symptoms would start showing up, yes? Plenty of time to get treatment before it sets in and gets serious, which I hear is much more manageable if caught early. 

Still a scary prospect though. 

Whenever i read things like this i'm reminded of when we had a genetic panel done on my daughter and they needed us to do one as well for a baseline and we had to sign forms saying that we wanted to be told if they found anything in me and my wife's genes because it would be considered a pre-existing condition and without the ACA we could be denied coverage, lol.

On 11/18/2022 at 1:56 PM, Brick said:

Jesus. Still he's young, so he's got what about 20 years before Alzheimer's symptoms would start showing up, yes? Plenty of time to get treatment before it sets in and gets serious, which I hear is much more manageable if caught early. 

Still a scary prospect though. 

Early onset Alzheimer's can affect people starting in their 30's.

• Shocked 1

• 2 months later...

I just started watching Wakanda Forever and this opening sequence gave me the thought that what happened to Chadwick Boseman was probably at least somewhere in the back of Hemsworth's mind, even if only subconsciously, when he made this decision.