Star Wars: Shatterpoint - new Databank Download preview articles posted

Kal-El814

Seems like a safe assumption that this is a Star Wars take on AMG's Marvel Crisis Protocol. I've only gotten that on the table a couple times despite having too many minis, but does that mean I won't get and paint this? Probably not.

The sculpts look good, which isn't super surprising given that few of the MCP sculpts have been duds.

Hopefully this doesn't mean that the flow of Legion content will be scaled back.

Considering the existence of Crisis Protocol from AMG and the increasing popularity of skirmish-type tabletop miniatures games (Kill Team, Warcry, Necromunda, Malifaux, etc.), it was absolutely inevitable that AMG would release a Star Wars skirmish title.  The skirmish-style games are sooooo very much more appealing to the an average/casual player than the full army-style games from both a cost and time investment perspective.

Personally, I'd be ALL OVER this in a heartbeat...if it didn't involve actually painting the models.

Unfortunately, I simply lack the patience, dedication, and concentration necessary to paint the models with anything resembling the due care that they deserve.  I realize that I could pay someone to paint them for me, but that would quickly amount to being quite an expensive proposition on top of the costs of the hobby itself.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Star Wars Crisis Protocol...er...Shatterpoint announced by AMG
48 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Considering the existence of Crisis Protocol from AMG and the increasing popularity of skirmish-type tabletop miniatures games (Kill Team, Warcry, Necromunda, Malifaux, etc.), it was absolutely inevitable that AMG would release a Star Wars skirmish title.  The skirmish-style games are sooooo very much more appealing to the an average/casual player than the full army-style games from both a cost and time investment perspective.

Personally, I'd be ALL OVER this in a heartbeat...if it didn't involve actually painting the models.

Unfortunately, I simply lack the patience, dedication, and concentration necessary to paint the models with anything resembling the due care that they deserve.  I realize that I could pay someone to paint them for me, but that would quickly amount to being quite an expensive proposition on top of the costs of the hobby itself.

Have you ever found yourself thinking, "hmm I have too much money and time on my hands!" Painting minis might be the hobby for you!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Kal-El814 said:

Have you ever found yourself thinking, "hmm I have too much money and time on my hands!" Painting minis might be the hobby for you!

Every time a new really awesome-looking box set gets released, I say to myself, "Hell yeah!  Now is the time that I'm actually gonna get involved in this hobby!  I swear I REALLY mean it this time!"

Then I watch an unboxing video and see all of those many, many sprues of plastic and I realize that I have to extract them from the sprue and assemble them.  And prime them.  And paint them.  And then after that, buy a really thick and heavy codex to learn the rules.  And then buy something to transport the miniatures to and from the LGS.  And then there's the terrain...

At that point, I just say to myself, "Yeah - I think I'll just stick to video games." :p 

2 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Every time a new really awesome-looking box set gets released, I say to myself, "Hell yeah!  Now is the time that I'm actually gonna get involved in this hobby!  I swear I REALLY mean it this time!"

Then I watch an unboxing video and see all of those many, many sprues of plastic and I realize that I have to extract them from the sprue and assemble them.  And prime them.  And paint them.  And then after that, buy a really thick and heavy codex to learn the rules.  And then buy something to transport the miniatures to and from the LGS.  And then there's the terrain...

At that point, I just say to myself, "Yeah - I think I'll just stick to video games." :p 

It’s a completely fair point. 

I have most Rebel and Imp units in Legion because I like to paint and I get it on the table a few times a year but most army scale games that use an IP are expensive from both a financial and time POV. Legion has a skirmish mode which makes things more palatable but if you’re new to the hobby… my guess is that the Shatterpoint core box will be $100 - $125, a decent paint starter set from someone like Vallejo will be $35 plus a rattlecan to prime, $6 for plastic cement, and maybe something like $15 for a couple decent brushes? And that’ll be to play the game with whatever scatter terrain comes with it and supplementing it with household objects and the like. So you’re pushing $200 before you get a foam insert for the core box to transport the thing. It’s a lot. 

I will say, things like GWs contrast paints / Army Painter’s speed paints / Scale 75’s Instant Paints, and the upcoming Xpress paint from Vallejo can get work as one coat solutions on top of a primer for something around a tabletop standard. But they’re no less expensive than “normal” paints. 

It’s a bummer because there’s a lot of gatekeeping in the hobby just because of cost, but it’s really fun to move little plastic figs on a table and roll dice to murder them. 

• Halal 1

star-wars-shatter-point-light-side-heade
WWW.BELLOFLOSTSOULS.NET

Atomic Mass Games has revealed both halves of the Star Wars: Shatterpoint Core set. Choose your favorites in the new skirmish game!

Star-Wars-Shatterpoint-light-side.jpg

Anakin Skywalker
Ahsoka Tano
Captain Rex
Bo-Katan
Clone Troopers

Star-Wars-Shatterpoint-dark-side.jpg

Asajj Ventresss
Maul
Gar Saxon
General Kalani
Droid Troopers

On 11/10/2022 at 4:24 PM, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Honestly, the cheapest way to get a painted army is to buy it from someone getting out of the game.

Im at a point now where I'll never paint everything I bought over the years (my pile of shame doesn't shrink). Im painting squats right now. Im also going to need to add some forgeworld to my Space Fish in time for an annual tournament a couple of hours from me.

1 hour ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

I'd say that they definitely look quite a bit better than Legion sculpts.  

I suppose that's probably due to them being intended for a small-scale skirmish game rather than an army-scale game.

They do a lot of good sculpts with Legion too; their hit / dud ratio is pretty solid I think. Most of the boring ones are somewhat understandable... OT era Palpatine barely moves, I dunno that we ever see Veers from anything other than waist up and inside an AT-ST, etc. There's only so many poses you can put vanilla Stormies in. The only weird one was Han whose outfit is a coat he's wearing in RotJ for like... 45 seconds. I always assumed they'd go back and make Operative Han where he's wearing his ANH fit but that hasn't happened yet.

Yeah, I have a little legion stuff, and most of it looks pretty good. Though I do think the sculpts in the OG box set weren't that great, the newer stuff is great. OG luke was pretty detail-less. 

I'm looking forward to this, I have a few friends who are into skirmish games, and the new KillTeam honestly doesn't do it for me (I love Necromunda though). 

GW us Still the king of Sculpts though. Man, the stuff they have released since 8th is unrivaled. Ghazkul, Mortarion, ALL of the new chaos sculpts, kill rig, AOS probably has the best sculpts in the business. 

I was playing Warhammer Fantasy a few weeks ago, with my chaos dwarves (my favorite army across all games, followed by my Brettonians), and we were speaking about how these old sculpts look like they were done by an amateur compared to the stuff they make now. I absolutely love them, but its pure Nostalgia. 

So weird. We had no place that sold Warhammer around me when I grew up, so we had to order it out of catalogs that came in boxes. My friends older brother hot us into it when he came back from university. We would have to save the money we needed, get a money order, send it away it away with the catalog checklist, and wait 8-12 weeks. 

When the 8th week would hit, we'd practically be waiting at the mail for our packages. Such great memories. He played High Elves and I played Brettonia. So many games played on plywood outside in the back yard, on a sheet of plywood.

11 hours ago, Hellhound said:

I’m holding judgement until after the demo games are shown early next year. Having both Legion and Crisis Protocol I can see how a skirmish game with Star Wars will have some appeal. 

Oh yeah - I'm just kinda surprised that it took 'em this long to come up with it!

I guess they were observing the long-term reception for MCP and Kill Team/Warcry before deciding to commit to it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Some more info from Asmodee - the models are 40mm:

Today’s transmission is all about bringing the characters we know and love into stunning three dimensional reality. We rounded up Marco Segovia (Sculpting Director), Evan Kang (Engineering Manager), and Dallas Kemp (Creative Director) to answer questions about their experience working on the miniature sculpts for Shatterpoint. 

New shots of the sculpts:

SWP01_AsajjSquad_FB.jpg?format=750w

SWP01_Anakin_FB.jpg?format=750w

SWP03_DookuSquad_FB.jpg?format=750w

SWP01_MandoSquad_FB.jpg?format=750w

The core set's price will be $165, but third-party retailers have it for pre-order at $132.

ngcb3

swp01en-1.jpg

• The Core Set includes 16 miniatures, totaling 12 units – with 4 units per squad.
  • The Core Set comes with four pre-made squads to easily start playing. However, we confirmed that players will be able to mix and match villains and heroes to create their own squads.
  • The box comes with a TON of terrain with multiple levels and ladders.
  • Other featured components included the “struggle tracker,” measuring tools, dice, tarot-sized cards, and 4×6 cards.
  • The play space for the game is 3×3
  • We alluded to a series of articles that are coming in March to talk about more mechanics and special features of the game, like the “struggle tracker.”
  • When pre-orders go live on January 30th, it will include the Core Set and some other 1st Wave items – such as the “Hello There” squad pack featuring Obi-Wan Kenobi!
  • The Core Set retails for $164.99
  • The expansions retail at $49.99
  • The Core Set will come in English, French, Polish, German, and Spanish. However, every expansion box will include cards in each language.
  • We confirmed we will be demoing the game at Star Wars: Celebration as well as Adepticon.

Squad Packs - $50

ngcb3

ngcb3

notWebP

ngcb3

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Star Wars Crisis Protocol...er...Shatterpoint announced by AMG, update: core set to release on 02 June 2023 for $165, sculpts are 40mm
  • 3 weeks later...

So, am I understanding correctly that none of this is scale compatible with Legion? If so, that's a slap in the face to the players. Even GW doesn't go that far with most of their products. They at least use the same scale so anything can be proxied. I have plenty of issues with GW and their practices, but this is one sin they haven't committed. 

That said, I like the sculpts and the starter box is a pretty fair deal. I paid double that just for Boarding Actions terrain and the rulebook for 40K Boarding Actions (Which is the best ruleset GW has ever done, and should be their model for 10th edition) is double this, so it's hard to have any complaints beyond the actual scale

6 hours ago, BloodyHell said:

So, am I understanding correctly that none of this is scale compatible with Legion? If so, that's a slap in the face to the players. Even GW doesn't go that far with most of their products. They at least use the same scale so anything can be proxied. I have plenty of issues with GW and their practices, but this is one sin they haven't committed. 

That said, I like the sculpts and the starter box is a pretty fair deal. I paid double that just for Boarding Actions terrain and the rulebook for 40K Boarding Actions (Which is the best ruleset GW has ever done, and should be their model for 10th edition) is double this, so it's hard to have any complaints beyond the actual scale

I think they've said the terrain is "compatible" which... I mean yeah, it's terrain, of course it is. The minis are a different scale from one another, which is both unfortunate and not especially surprising. AMG picked up FFG's miniatures stuff so it's not unexpected that "their own" game would use the same scale as MCP. But it's a bummer for sure.

40mm is an interesting scale at least. I wonder if they’ll do any walkers or vehicles? Or if it sticks to true small scale skirmishes? 

I wish I had time to paint everything as I buy it, but I'm sucker. Right now I'm working on my Blood and Plunder sea army before my 6th Rate Frigate gets here to finish it. I plan on playing a nearby tournament in April, so it’s the priority. I’m doing it with Coat D’Arms paint, which are the original 90’s GW “Old Style” WFB paints, and I love it. Even the smell is nostalgic. Their current paint has no smell at all. 

I will definitely get it, but not in a rush to get to it. 

Some of the actual gameplay mechanics have been released by AMG:

Welcome back to the third installment in our Star Wars™: Shatterpoint series. So far, we’ve looked at the all-important aspects of building your strike team and how Missions pit your strike teams against each other to accomplish your objectives. Today we’re going to take a look at some general gameplay concepts including how game turns are structured, how activations and actions work, and how the power of the Force impacts games of Shatterpoint.

So, you’ve built your strike team, set up the Mission, and you’re ready to ignite your lightsabers and start firing away with your blasters. But how exactly do you do that?

Hello and welcome to another installment of Atomic Mass Games Transmissions! Today we’re going to be diving into Missions in Star Wars™: Shatterpoint and how they work in the game. As with all things Star Wars, the goals of the characters are one of the most important parts of the movies and shows – and Shatterpoint is no different. Constantly changing and affecting every decision you make; Missions make up the main goal of the game and are the primary way of winning (and losing!).

Before we talk too much about the Missions themselves, let’s talk about the Struggle. There is a dashboard for players to track the Struggle – a sort of tug-o-war between the players. At the end of each player’s Turn they will score points, moving the struggle token toward their end of the track. If the Struggle token ever reaches the end of that player’s track, they win the current Struggle! 

Welcome to your first steps into the larger world of Star Wars™: Shatterpoint. Over the course of several transmissions, we’re going to be taking a closer look at the core mechanics as we lead up to the world premiere of game demos at Adepticon 2023.

Before we can really start exploring individual game mechanics, we first need to understand the overall concept of what Star Wars: Shatterpoint is. Shatterpoint was conceived and designed to be a character focused, fast paced, high action skirmish game that allowed players to recreate the high stakes, personal confrontations between the iconic heroes and villains of the Star Wars saga. From character design to combat, games of Shatterpoint center on these zoomed in conflicts around which the stories of Star Wars often revolve. 

We also wanted to make sure that Shatterpoint conveyed its own distinct style and tone, and what better inspiration and match than the high energy action of great Saturday morning animated series? While the battles in Shatterpoint may be pivotal moments to the story, we wanted players to be immersed in the fun and excitement of the action happening on the table. Combat in Shatterpoint is fast and furious with victory and defeat balanced upon a razor’s edge. But even so, just like any great animated series, there is a distinct understanding that - win or lose - we know all our heroes and villains will be back again next week (or more accurately, next game) to start the battle all over again. 

In today’s transmission, we rounded up Will Shick (Head of Product Development), William Pagani (Development Manager), and  Michael Plummer (Game Developer) to give you some key insights on our studio’s goals for Star Wars: Shatterpoint and how the game has inspired us to bring our vision to life on your table.   

When we sat down to create Star Wars: Shatterpoint, we knew there was room for more play experiences within the Star Wars universe. 

Analysis from Crabbok:

• Halal 1

11 hours ago, BloodyHell said:

Legion is getting its own version of Kill Team called "Special Operations" which is currently in beta testing.  Once I learned that, everything about Shatterpoint and its incompatibility with Legion pretty much clicked into place.

As @Kal-El814 succinctly pointed out, Shatterpoint is definitely Star Wars Crisis Protocol and really isn't intended to have any relationship to Legion.

7 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Legion is getting its own version of Kill Team called "Special Operations" which is currently in beta testing.  Once I learned that, everything about Shatterpoint and its incompatibility with Legion pretty much clicked into place.

As @Kal-El814 succinctly pointed out, Shatterpoint is definitely Star Wars Crisis Protocol and really isn't intended to have any relationship to Legion.

Yeah. Legion has had a 3'x3' ruleset for a while but it's more "Legion but smaller" and not really a skirmish mode, per se. Interested to see what Special Operations turns out to be.

New AMG post about the game's Stat Cards:

Welcome back to the latest transmission in our multi-article series looking at the gameplay and core mechanics of Atomic Mass Games’ newest miniatures game, Star Wars™: Shatterpoint! In this transmission we are going to be diving into how the iconic characters of a galaxy far, far away are brought to life in game through their Stat Cards.

Every miniature in Star Wars: Shatterpoint has a corresponding Stat Card. The Stat Card details all of the Unit’s important game information. This includes basic things like its name, Tags, type, and points cost. More importantly for gameplay, however, a Unit’s Stat Card includes a list of the Unit’s special abilities and the stats used to determine how much damage it can suffer before being Wounded or Defeated. 

So Asmodee/Embracer also has the rights to Middle Earth and the Hobbit now,  which could cause major problems for GW who have kind of soft relaunched Middle Earth Strategy Battle over the last year (I actually just got their newest box set , Battle of Osgiloth, just after xmas with some gift cards for my local store). 

This could get weird for GW.

it would suck if GW lost the license, because its by far their best non-skirmish game. The ruleset is actually a ton of fun. 

gw-competition-asmodee-lord-of-the-rings
SPIKEYBITS.COM

According to some, the writing is on the wall for Games Workshop as one of its most famous miniature lines is about to be dethroned.

@Commissar SFLUFAN if you’re not ok with this as a catch all for Asmodee news, let me know, just wasn’t sure it warranted another thread, or if the Middle Earth stuff was talked about yet. 

12 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

D6 and D8 is cool, but I'd like to see a company standardize D10's. I wish GW would do it with 10th edition 40k. 

So far im interested. I wish they were showing gameplay instead of just talking about it, but still, another interesting video.

I really like the cards they use. I wish more games has unit cards. Even if I had to buy a new set every edition, i'm fine with it. I collect Tabletop books anyway. 

Cruel and calculating, today’s Star Wars™: Shatterpoint character preview delivers you details about the deadly Dathomirian - Asajj Ventress™, Sith Assassin.

Trained in the ways of the dark side by Count Dooku™, Asajj Ventress is a fierce adversary and opponent to the Jedi Order. Aggressive and self-sure, she has stood toe-to-toe against the likes of Obi-Wan Kenobi™ and Anakin Skywalker™ many times. Armed with twin red-bladed lightsabers, she unleashes her swift and hate-filled strikes against all who would oppose her and works towards her goals with singular purpose – “The Jedi shall fall.”

Asajj Ventress hits the battlefield fast and furious, capable of dishing out impressive melee attacks after closing the distance with her superb mobility-focused abilities. Asajj’s squad point value of 8, players who choose Asajj as their Primary Unit have a wide array of options when it comes to choosing a Secondary and Supporting Unit for her squad.

SWP01_AsajjVentress_FB.png?format=750w