Star Wars Crisis Protocol...er...Shatterpoint announced by AMG

Kal-El814

Seems like a safe assumption that this is a Star Wars take on AMG's Marvel Crisis Protocol. I've only gotten that on the table a couple times despite having too many minis, but does that mean I won't get and paint this? Probably not.

The sculpts look good, which isn't super surprising given that few of the MCP sculpts have been duds.

Hopefully this doesn't mean that the flow of Legion content will be scaled back.

Considering the existence of Crisis Protocol from AMG and the increasing popularity of skirmish-type tabletop miniatures games (Kill Team, Warcry, Necromunda, Malifaux, etc.), it was absolutely inevitable that AMG would release a Star Wars skirmish title.  The skirmish-style games are sooooo very much more appealing to the an average/casual player than the full army-style games from both a cost and time investment perspective.

Personally, I'd be ALL OVER this in a heartbeat...if it didn't involve actually painting the models.

Unfortunately, I simply lack the patience, dedication, and concentration necessary to paint the models with anything resembling the due care that they deserve.  I realize that I could pay someone to paint them for me, but that would quickly amount to being quite an expensive proposition on top of the costs of the hobby itself.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Star Wars Crisis Protocol...er...Shatterpoint announced by AMG
48 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Considering the existence of Crisis Protocol from AMG and the increasing popularity of skirmish-type tabletop miniatures games (Kill Team, Warcry, Necromunda, Malifaux, etc.), it was absolutely inevitable that AMG would release a Star Wars skirmish title.  The skirmish-style games are sooooo very much more appealing to the an average/casual player than the full army-style games from both a cost and time investment perspective.

Personally, I'd be ALL OVER this in a heartbeat...if it didn't involve actually painting the models.

Unfortunately, I simply lack the patience, dedication, and concentration necessary to paint the models with anything resembling the due care that they deserve.  I realize that I could pay someone to paint them for me, but that would quickly amount to being quite an expensive proposition on top of the costs of the hobby itself.

Have you ever found yourself thinking, "hmm I have too much money and time on my hands!" Painting minis might be the hobby for you!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Kal-El814 said:

Have you ever found yourself thinking, "hmm I have too much money and time on my hands!" Painting minis might be the hobby for you!

Every time a new really awesome-looking box set gets released, I say to myself, "Hell yeah!  Now is the time that I'm actually gonna get involved in this hobby!  I swear I REALLY mean it this time!"

Then I watch an unboxing video and see all of those many, many sprues of plastic and I realize that I have to extract them from the sprue and assemble them.  And prime them.  And paint them.  And then after that, buy a really thick and heavy codex to learn the rules.  And then buy something to transport the miniatures to and from the LGS.  And then there's the terrain...

At that point, I just say to myself, "Yeah - I think I'll just stick to video games." :p 

2 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Every time a new really awesome-looking box set gets released, I say to myself, "Hell yeah!  Now is the time that I'm actually gonna get involved in this hobby!  I swear I REALLY mean it this time!"

Then I watch an unboxing video and see all of those many, many sprues of plastic and I realize that I have to extract them from the sprue and assemble them.  And prime them.  And paint them.  And then after that, buy a really thick and heavy codex to learn the rules.  And then buy something to transport the miniatures to and from the LGS.  And then there's the terrain...

At that point, I just say to myself, "Yeah - I think I'll just stick to video games." :p 

It’s a completely fair point. 

I have most Rebel and Imp units in Legion because I like to paint and I get it on the table a few times a year but most army scale games that use an IP are expensive from both a financial and time POV. Legion has a skirmish mode which makes things more palatable but if you’re new to the hobby… my guess is that the Shatterpoint core box will be $100 - $125, a decent paint starter set from someone like Vallejo will be $35 plus a rattlecan to prime, $6 for plastic cement, and maybe something like $15 for a couple decent brushes? And that’ll be to play the game with whatever scatter terrain comes with it and supplementing it with household objects and the like. So you’re pushing $200 before you get a foam insert for the core box to transport the thing. It’s a lot. 

I will say, things like GWs contrast paints / Army Painter’s speed paints / Scale 75’s Instant Paints, and the upcoming Xpress paint from Vallejo can get work as one coat solutions on top of a primer for something around a tabletop standard. But they’re no less expensive than “normal” paints. 

It’s a bummer because there’s a lot of gatekeeping in the hobby just because of cost, but it’s really fun to move little plastic figs on a table and roll dice to murder them. 

• Halal 1

star-wars-shatter-point-light-side-heade
WWW.BELLOFLOSTSOULS.NET

Atomic Mass Games has revealed both halves of the Star Wars: Shatterpoint Core set. Choose your favorites in the new skirmish game!

Star-Wars-Shatterpoint-light-side.jpg

Anakin Skywalker
Ahsoka Tano
Captain Rex
Bo-Katan
Clone Troopers

Star-Wars-Shatterpoint-dark-side.jpg

Asajj Ventresss
Maul
Gar Saxon
General Kalani
Droid Troopers

On 11/10/2022 at 4:24 PM, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Honestly, the cheapest way to get a painted army is to buy it from someone getting out of the game.

Im at a point now where I'll never paint everything I bought over the years (my pile of shame doesn't shrink). Im painting squats right now. Im also going to need to add some forgeworld to my Space Fish in time for an annual tournament a couple of hours from me.

On 11/18/2022 at 9:33 AM, Kal-El814 said:

Sculpts are fire, but that's to be expected at this point.

I'd say that they definitely look quite a bit better than Legion sculpts.  

I suppose that's probably due to them being intended for a small-scale skirmish game rather than an army-scale game.

1 hour ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

I'd say that they definitely look quite a bit better than Legion sculpts.  

I suppose that's probably due to them being intended for a small-scale skirmish game rather than an army-scale game.

They do a lot of good sculpts with Legion too; their hit / dud ratio is pretty solid I think. Most of the boring ones are somewhat understandable... OT era Palpatine barely moves, I dunno that we ever see Veers from anything other than waist up and inside an AT-ST, etc. There's only so many poses you can put vanilla Stormies in. The only weird one was Han whose outfit is a coat he's wearing in RotJ for like... 45 seconds. I always assumed they'd go back and make Operative Han where he's wearing his ANH fit but that hasn't happened yet.

Yeah, I have a little legion stuff, and most of it looks pretty good. Though I do think the sculpts in the OG box set weren't that great, the newer stuff is great. OG luke was pretty detail-less. 

I'm looking forward to this, I have a few friends who are into skirmish games, and the new KillTeam honestly doesn't do it for me (I love Necromunda though). 

GW us Still the king of Sculpts though. Man, the stuff they have released since 8th is unrivaled. Ghazkul, Mortarion, ALL of the new chaos sculpts, kill rig, AOS probably has the best sculpts in the business. 

I was playing Warhammer Fantasy a few weeks ago, with my chaos dwarves (my favorite army across all games, followed by my Brettonians), and we were speaking about how these old sculpts look like they were done by an amateur compared to the stuff they make now. I absolutely love them, but its pure Nostalgia. 

So weird. We had no place that sold Warhammer around me when I grew up, so we had to order it out of catalogs that came in boxes. My friends older brother hot us into it when he came back from university. We would have to save the money we needed, get a money order, send it away it away with the catalog checklist, and wait 8-12 weeks. 

When the 8th week would hit, we'd practically be waiting at the mail for our packages. Such great memories. He played High Elves and I played Brettonia. So many games played on plywood outside in the back yard, on a sheet of plywood.

Uncle Atom raises what I consider a pretty good point in this video that having the Shatterpoint miniatures being apparently incompatible with Legion (and vice-versa) is probably an "own goal" for AMG in contrast to GW having the Kill Team/Warcry minis being fully compatible with 40K/Age of Sigmar:

• Halal 1

11 hours ago, Hellhound said:

I’m holding judgement until after the demo games are shown early next year. Having both Legion and Crisis Protocol I can see how a skirmish game with Star Wars will have some appeal. 

Oh yeah - I'm just kinda surprised that it took 'em this long to come up with it!

I guess they were observing the long-term reception for MCP and Kill Team/Warcry before deciding to commit to it.