The D1P/Twitter "Rules Of Engagement" Going Forward

Commissar SFLUFAN

Now that the "Bird App" is owned by a conspiracy theory-loving, petulant, megalomaniacal manchild, I have decided that the "rules of engagement" between D1P and that site will substantially change going forward.  Simply put, I have no desire to have D1P act as a conduit to directly drive traffic/engagement towards Twitter and that is the overall intention of this ROE.

Personally, I'd rather not have any references to/from Twitter appear on D1P whatsover, but even I know that's simply not a realistic or feasible proposition.  Thus, the new rules for D1P poster engagement with Twitter are as follows:

1.  Absolutely no direct linking or embedding of Twitter links whatsoever.  Zip.  Zero. Zilch. Nada.  Any direct embeds or links will be moderated starting tomorrow.

2.  If you absolutely must (and think long and hard as to whether that is in fact the case!) post a tweet instead of posting the article the tweet references or summarizing the content of the tweet in your own words, then you can post a screenshot of the tweet, but that will be the extent of it.

3.  When You-Know-Who is ultimately unbanned, nothing that he says on Twitter will be posted here in any form at all, screenshot or otherwise.  It's going to wind up in the "regular" media anyway so that's the source that you can use if you simply can't help yourself.

Naturally, this ROE is preliminary and will continue to evolve over time, but this is how the moderation staff and me are going to approach things vis-a-vis Twitter going forward.

I really don't ask very much of you guys in the way of "rules compliance" on this site, but this is something that I feel pretty damned strongly about and this new approach to Twitter is non-negotiable.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 2
  • True 1
  • Halal 5

Not bad for regular news, but sucks for shit for gaming. So many threads just start off with a twitter post and that's it. And a lot of straight from the source shit comes from official twitters. I just feel like on the gaming front there will a linking to an article that is really just an embedded twitter post. Like "click here to see the twitter post hosted on our gaming journalist site of the MW2 logo!"

• Like 1

I'm into it. 

What I have questions about is the allowability of videos embedded in Tweets. Say, for war footage or the like. It's a lot of the Ukraine thread at this point and is the main place that stuff winds up getting published. 

(Also, lol Jason's post count)

• Haha 2

Just now, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

I do realize that, but it still fulfills my intention which is to minimize direct D1P engagement with Twitter.

Bah!

When you kick it from a Huel OD and I inherit the site I'm reversing your ruling for the gaming section, old man!

1 minute ago, CayceG said:

What I have questions about is the allowability of videos embedded in Tweets. Say, for war footage or the like. It's a lot of the Ukraine thread at this point and is the main place that stuff winds up getting published. 

The same "screenshot/description in your own words" rule applies.

• Halal 1

Just now, AbsolutSurgen said:

Your site your rules.

So much sporting/gaming news is posted on Twitter these days, that Twitter as a primary source is hard to avoid.

Anyone know of any good free image hosting sites?

If you are on desktop and need an image capturing tool gyazo works great.

Imgur is as easy as drag and drop (no DL of captured image required) on desktop and they have a mobile app that works very well.

Only problem I have with this is that it’s going to be a pain posting from mobile with gaming news as it happens, especially the sort where the Twitter post itself is the news.

Screencap, crop, save, upload, copy link.  Repeat if multiple threads are worth copying.  On a desktop I don’t mind.

14 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

Only problem I have with this is that it’s going to be a pain posting from mobile with gaming news as it happens, especially the sort where the Twitter post itself is the news.

Screencap, crop, save, upload, copy link.  Repeat if multiple threads are worth copying.  On a desktop I don’t mind.

I can thoroughly appreciate that inconvenience and realize that it's a direct result of this new policy.

I would suggest that you write a quick summary of the breaking news and then include a line that you'll post a screenshot or article when convenient.

There really are no "good" options when trying to implement this so I'm kind stuck trying to figure out the "least bad" ones.  I'm very much open to any ideas that would reduce the "pain" of the execution of this new policy (no direct Twitter engagement).

7 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

There really are no "good" options when trying to implement this so I'm kind stuck trying to figure out the "least bad" ones.

While this won't be a good suggestion, I thought of it earlier so... You could just block the twitter embeds on your browser's end. 

I know that is not a good suggestion because it is not just about not seeing the content, it is about not supporting twitter and Musk in any way, shape, or form. But I still think I should mention it just in case. I often just block things on my end like @stepee's avatar because I fucking hate it.

5 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

I can thoroughly appreciate that inconvenience and realize that it's a direct result of this new policy.

I would suggest that you write a quick summary of the breaking news and then include a line that you'll post a screenshot or article when convenient.

There really are no "good" options when trying to implement this so I'm kind stuck trying to figure out the "least bad" ones.  I'm very much open to any ideas that would reduce the "pain" of the execution of this new policy (no direct Twitter engagement).

I do not know the answer to this question and the answer may very well be no, but are there any Invision plugins that allow for copy/paste images directly into posts? For mobile users, screenshot/paste would be very easy.

2 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

I do not know the answer to this question and the answer may very well be no, but are there any Invision plugins that allow for copy/paste images directly into posts? For mobile users, screenshot/paste would be very easy.

Shame there isn't an "Upload Image" similar to that of Discord, next to the "Insert image from URL" button

Just now, Bacon said:

Shame there isn't an "Upload Image" similar to that of Discord, next to the "Insert image from URL" button

That would work too. Just as long as there are limits. I'd hate to see hosting and bandwidth costs for this site skyrocket just because someone wants to post an entire tweet thread full of screenshots from their 4k device.

7 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

That would work too. Just as long as there are limits. I'd hate to see hosting and bandwidth costs for this site skyrocket just because someone wants to post an entire tweet thread full of screenshots from their 4k device.

I would like to think that our users are savvy enough to only post an image or two from the tweet thread and actually write a short summary of its contents rather than sceenshot/post the whole damned thing :p

9 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

I would like to think that our users are savvy enough to only post an image or two from the tweet thread and actually write a short summary of its contents rather than sceenshot/post the whole damned thing :p

very diplomatic edit to your wording mr. steel

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Is there a good way of posting Twitter videos?

Shitty solution, but the only method I can think of is streamable.

Open the tweet, copy the url, paste into the "Paste a video URL" box on streamable, create video, (once created) copy the embed code, click on the source box here on d1p and paste code

oh, or, make your own subreddit, post twitter link there, post reddit link here

I'm all for it.  The only drawback I see is kind of what @CayceG mentioned about the Ukraine footage.  You could also extend that to any crisis that pops up (riots, active shooter, major weather events, etc...).  Having that boots on the ground up to the minute coverage is pretty important.  That would be the only area I would miss with a no Twitter rule. Everything else though I'm all good.  I generally hate reading everyone's "hot take" that just links to the real news article.