HDR Support for PC Games

I'm in the process of planning a new gaming computer for Xmas this year.

IMHO, HDR is one of the greatest improvements to fidelity that I've seen for TV/Movies...

However, the adoption of HDR in gaming monitors -- is not widespread, and expensive.

Before I try and jam a HDR monitor in the budget, does anyone have experience on how many PC games actually support it well?

13 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

I'm in the process of planning a new gaming computer for Xmas this year.

IMHO, HDR is one of the greatest improvements to fidelity that I've seen for TV/Movies...

However, the adoption of HDR in gaming monitors -- is not widespread, and expensive.

Before I try and jam a HDR monitor in the budget, does anyone have experience on how many PC games actually support it well?

anecdotally, quite a lot now! 

• Thanks 1

46c32a54a411e29b5ff2f0d1d8a0ffdd7c20f3f2
STORE.STEAMPOWERED.COM

Games with HDR support, natively or with a workaround.

I think there's also Auto HDR in Windows 11.  Haven't upgraded because my build is too antiquated.

• Thanks 1
  • Halal 1

30 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

46c32a54a411e29b5ff2f0d1d8a0ffdd7c20f3f2
STORE.STEAMPOWERED.COM

Games with HDR support, natively or with a workaround.

I think there's also Auto HDR in Windows 11.  Haven't upgraded because my build is too antiquated.

My current one is as well.  I'm still rocking a 9700k and 1070 -- which I plan to keep around (I have a very low chance of getting access to it at the moment due to the mini-people in my house).

5 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

My current one is as well.  I'm still rocking a 9700k and 1070 -- which I plan to keep around (I have a very low chance of getting access to it at the moment due to the mini-people in my house).

Slumming it with a 6600k and 1060 6GB.  Probably won't do a new build for another two years or longer, with other financial priorities in the way.

I've got a PS5 in the meanwhile for FF16 and FF7Rebirth, which are the only next-gen games announced I'd care enough to day 1.

33 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

Slumming it with a 6600k and 1060 6GB.  Probably won't do a new build for another two years or longer, with other financial priorities in the way.

I've got a PS5 in the meanwhile for FF16 and FF7Rebirth, which are the only next-gen games announced I'd care enough to day 1.

TBH, modern games are scaling much better than they used to.  Since I'm running a 1440p monitor, the older computer isn't hurting me too much.

My rationale for upgrading at the moment is:

1)  To get a second gaming computer into the house

2)  To take advantage of HDR / Ray Tracing

Now that video cards are somewhat reasonably priced, it's really the first time I've looked at getting a new PC.  Toughest part will be spousal approval.

Worth noting too, anything spec'd as "GSync Ultimate" has to meet a standard which includes full (and proper) HDR 1000 (or higher) support. However, the downside is that they are DP 1.4 and HDMI 2.0, as nVidia has yet to update the GSync Ultimate spec to include HDMI 2.1, which is dumb AF. So, you'd be limited to "only" 120hz with 8bpc color depth, 98hz with 10bpc, or 82hz with 12bpc (HDMI 2.1 can do 120hz with 12bpc)... but, games are typically coded with 8bpc for HDR anyway, so, you're prob not going to notice a difference tbh. This is over DP 1.4, btw, HDMI 2.0 is more limited.

On 10/6/2022 at 9:45 AM, Spork3245 said:

Just make sure the monitor is HDR 1000 or higher and you should be good to go. The Micro LED ones from both ASUS and Samsung are the way to go.

Any suggestions on specific models?

The Asus PG32UX is C$4k -- so I am ruling that out.

The 32" Odyssey Neo G7 is C$1,300 -- so that is in my price range (but haven't read reviews yet).

1 hour ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Any suggestions on specific models?

The Asus PG32UX is C$4k -- so I am ruling that out.

The 32" Odyssey Neo G7 is C$1,300 -- so that is in my price range (but haven't read reviews yet).

I'd go with the Odyssey. It's the same as that 49" Super Ultrawide Micro LED one that they make, but 4k and 16:9, iirc. Double check reviews on it, though. Viewsonic also just put one out: 

XG321UG_F01_pc_l.png
WWW.VIEWSONIC.COM

Experience a new level of visual performance and upgrade your gameplay on the XG321UG, featuring Mini LED technology that redefines expectations. Engineered with a pixel dense 4K Ultra HD resolution that renders every detail with incredible brightness on...

I have a PG27UQ, and I love it, but would like a 32" micro led over this traditional led.

IIRC, the Samsung ones are not GSync Ultimate, so they have HDMI 2.1 (hence the higher refresh rate of 165hz), so you def want to double check reviews to make sure it's "true HDR" and that it supports GSync properly without flickering.

7 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

I'd go with the Odyssey. It's the same as that 49" Super Ultrawide Micro LED one that they make, but 4k and 16:9, iirc. Double check reviews on it, though. Viewsonic also just put one out: 

XG321UG_F01_pc_l.png
WWW.VIEWSONIC.COM

Experience a new level of visual performance and upgrade your gameplay on the XG321UG, featuring Mini LED technology that redefines expectations. Engineered with a pixel dense 4K Ultra HD resolution that renders every detail with incredible brightness on...

I have a PG27UQ, and I love it, but would like a 32" micro led over this traditional led.

IIRC, the Samsung ones are not GSync Ultimate, so they have HDMI 2.1 (hence the higher refresh rate of 165hz), so you def want to double check reviews to make sure it's "true HDR" and that it supports GSync properly without flickering.

That one is C$3,300....  Still tough to justify.

Looking at the Alienware QD OLED one as an option...  $1,649 (ultrawide 1440p).

6 hours ago, cusideabelincoln said:

If this will be strictly a gaming PC, OLED does seem like the way to go. They won't be good if you game in a brightly lit room, but the contrast ratio makes up for their lack of brightness in dim or dark rooms.

I know it’s come a long way, especially recently, however, I’d avoid OLED unless it’s a second monitor for gaming and video. Burn-in is still a thing and PC constantly has static images. QD-OLED would be the way to go if you want OLED, IMO.

I asked on Reddit about this not too long ago, and the replies I got were kinda “lol” worthy. “Buy a long warranty that covers burn in”, “no icons on desktop and use an app to have a live wallpaper”, “limit internet browsing and always use full screen mode for the browser when you do”, etc… like jfc, who wants to have to babysit their monitor to avoid burn in like that? Just get micro led or qd-oled ffs :lol:

• 1 month later...
On 10/5/2022 at 2:06 PM, cusideabelincoln said:

A lot of monitors will claim HDR support, but there's only a few where the HDR actually looks better and you'll be paying the price premium for it. Most monitors, practically every budget and mid range option, simply do not have the contrast and brightness capabilities to properly display HDR content.

On 10/6/2022 at 8:45 AM, Spork3245 said:

Just make sure the monitor is HDR 1000 or higher and you should be good to go. The Micro LED ones from both ASUS and Samsung are the way to go.

I am in the market for a new monitor. I'd like something that can play nice with my PS5, and I have a pretty modest (shitty) PC that I hope to upgrade in the next 5 years maybe. I am AMD-based. You guys have any suggestions? No worries if not... 

26 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

I am in the market for a new monitor. I'd like something that can play nice with my PS5, and I have a pretty modest (shitty) PC that I hope to upgrade in the next 5 years maybe. I am AMD-based. You guys have any suggestions? No worries if not... 

The trick to buying a monitor: Determine what size you want first, then set your budget, and then find best one under that price. I am honestly not familiar with HDR monitors; I spend more time looking at ultra-high refresh rate monitors. I'm waiting for a 240HZ flat QD-OLED monitor to hit the market, because I really dislike motion blur.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Paperclyp said:

SAMSUNG 32" Odyssey Neo G8 4K UHD 240Hz 1ms G-Sync 1000R Curved Gaming Monitor, Quantum HDR2000, AMD FreeSync Premium Pro, Matte Display, Ultrawide Game View, DisplayPort, HDMI, Black & White, 2022 https://a.co/d/3xSZtoT

I believe the Neo G7 is the same except a 165hz refresh rate instead of 240hz. I’d avoid OLED and QD-OLED if this is your main monitor that you do internet browsing and other static-image tasks on, as burn-in is still very real and apparently QD-OLED isn’t much more burn-in resistant than modern non-QD OLED panels. Sure, they look the best, but mini LED isn’t that far behind (you wouldn’t tell a difference unless they’re side-by-side if it’s a high end mini LED monitor), and personally, I wouldn’t want to babysit my monitor to avoid burn in.

However, it may be worth waiting for DP2.1 monitors to arrive in Q1 of 2023

• Like 1

@Paperclypthose Samesung Neo (G7 and G8) monitors are having some crazy sales right now. The G8 is under $1k most places and only $840 if you know someone who can use a .edu email https://www.samsung.com/us/computing/monitors/gaming/32-odyssey-neo-g8-4k-uhd-240hz-1ms-curved-gaming-monitor-ls32bg852nnxgo/

BUT read/watch some reviews, mainly regarding the HDR quality before buying. I continually keep reading mixed things on these monitors as to whether it’s true HDR or fake HDR that wouldn’t pass the TV standard. Like, literally one review will say “OMG IT’S SO BRIGHT AND AMAZING” and another will say “it’s nowhere near full HDR10 capable” 

8 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

@Paperclypthose Samesung Neo (G7 and G8) monitors are having some crazy sales right now. The G8 is under $1k most places and only $840 if you know someone who can use a .edu email https://www.samsung.com/us/computing/monitors/gaming/32-odyssey-neo-g8-4k-uhd-240hz-1ms-curved-gaming-monitor-ls32bg852nnxgo/

BUT read/watch some reviews, mainly regarding the HDR quality before buying. I continually keep reading mixed things on these monitors as to whether it’s true HDR or fake HDR that wouldn’t pass the TV standard. Like, literally one review will say “OMG IT’S SO BRIGHT AND AMAZING” and another will say “it’s nowhere near full HDR10 capable” 

OH! You too @AbsolutSurgen, I forgot you’re the one who made this thread :lol:

• Thanks 1

@Spork3245 My research suggests that the only Monitors that have comparable HDR to high-end TVS are the super expensive ACER/ASUS monitors.

The ones in the US$1,000 price ranges have compromises, and do a good job, but aren't up to that level.

That said, US$1,000 is a lot to spend on a monitor.

I'm considering getting the AW3423DW QD-OLED monitor.  My gaming space is in the basement, so I don't have to worry about using it in bright spaces (and it will be used on a computer pretty much dedicated to gaming and consuming video content).

13 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

@Spork3245 My research suggests that the only Monitors that have comparable HDR to high-end TVS are the super expensive ACER/ASUS monitors.

The ones in the US$1,000 price ranges have compromises, and do a good job, but aren't up to that level.

That said, US$1,000 is a lot to spend on a monitor.

I'm considering getting the AW3423DW QD-OLED monitor.  My gaming space is in the basement, so I don't have to worry about using it in bright spaces (and it will be used on a computer pretty much dedicated to gaming and consuming video content).

It's honestly weird how high the Neo G8/G7 rank on monitor lists considering the PG32UQX seems to crush in with HDR/brightness.