Trevor Noah to leave the Daily Show

Fizzzzle

4 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Hasan Minhag is this week. The one episode under him so far is the best the show has been since Stewart left. Holy F. 

The segment of Hasan and Ronnie made me laugh harder than anything I can remember for a good while.

• Like 1
  • Halal 1

6 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

The segment of Hasan and Ronnie made me laugh harder than anything I can remember for a good while.

It’d be nice if they brought back a bunch of the old correspondents to each do a week instead of the rando celebs. I’d love to see how each ones does, especially after watching Hasan kill it.

3 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

It’d be nice if they brought back a bunch of the old correspondents to each do a week instead of the rando celebs. I’d love to see how each ones does, especially after watching Hasan kill it.

They could have Stephen Colbert do it for a week so he could be reminded of what good comedy writing is supposed to be like.

Honestly, though, I think they've done pretty well at tailoring the show to each guest host, with the exception of Wanda Sykes (I've never found her funny and that could be a "me" problem). Leslie Jones was great, Sarah Silverman was great, Chelsea Handler was great, Sarah Silverman was great

8 hours ago, Fizzzzle said:

They could have Stephen Colbert do it for a week so he could be reminded of what good comedy writing is supposed to be like.

Honestly, though, I think they've done pretty well at tailoring the show to each guest host, with the exception of Wanda Sykes (I've never found her funny and that could be a "me" problem). Leslie Jones was great, Sarah Silverman was great, Chelsea Handler was great, Sarah Silverman was great

I thought Handler was horrible. Her delivery was just the worst: all her lines are as if she’s reading them for the first time with zero inflection. Her only funny bit was the “no kids” thing (and not the sketch, but the part leading up to it). Until this week, IMO, Jones was the best which surprised me because she’s not a political comedian.

Finally got to watch Hassan host and he’s awesome. Didn’t he have his own weekly show on Netflix but kinda in the form of Last Week Tonight? If he wants the job, give him the job. He has that energy in his comedy delivery timing that I thought TN lacked from the days of Stewart. Look forward to tonight’s episode after I watch the new Mandalorian 

• Halal 2

1 minute ago, silentbob said:

Finally got to watch Hassan host and he’s awesome. Didn’t he have his own weekly show on Netflix but kinda in the form of Last Week Tonight? If he wants the job, give him the job. He has that energy in his comedy delivery timing that I thought TN lacked from the days of Stewart. Look forward to tonight’s episode after I watch the new Mandalorian 

I think his Netflix show was serious and didn't have comedy. Not 100% sure. But, yea, and Hasan, IMO, comes off as authentic in believing what he's saying, which is something I never felt was completely there with Trevor.

• Halal 2

4 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

I think his Netflix show was serious and didn't have comedy. Not 100% sure. But, yea, and Hasan, IMO, comes off as authentic in believing what he's saying, which is something I never felt was completely there with Trevor.

I saw someone make a comment that Trevor, in some ways, seemed almost like... "too cool?" Like he's above everything. That's not a knock on Trevor Noah as a person, but I kind of get it. 

Just now, Fizzzzle said:

I saw someone make a comment that Trevor, in some ways, seemed almost like... "too cool?" Like he's above everything. That's not a knock on Trevor Noah as a person, but I kind of get it. 

I think a lot was "will this get me ratings?" to a point, tbh, similar to current Colbert.

1 minute ago, Spork3245 said:

I think a lot was "will this get me ratings?" to a point, tbh, similar to current Colbert.

Don't get me started on Colbert. Trump becoming president pretty much ruined him as a comic. He found out he could just go "TRUMP, AMIRITE?!" every night, his audience would eat it up and basically hasn't stopped since.

• Halal 1

5 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

Don't get me started on Colbert. Trump becoming president pretty much ruined him as a comic. He found out he could just go "TRUMP, AMIRITE?!" every night, his audience would eat it up and basically hasn't stopped since.

His Late Show was worse pre-Trump when he was trying not to do politics tbf. It got really bad for awhile.

2 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

His Late Show was worse pre-Trump when he was trying not to do politics tbf. It got really bad for awhile.

He only did the Late Show for like a year before Trump became president, and I don't remember it at all.

Then again I don't actually watch the shows on TV, I watch clips on youtube, and back in 2015 I don't think they had really caught onto that yet.

1 minute ago, Fizzzzle said:

He only did the Late Show for like a year before Trump became president, and I don't remember it at all.

Then again I don't actually watch the shows on TV, I watch clips on youtube, and back in 2015 I don't think they had really caught onto that yet.

It was really bad after the first week. It felt incredibly aimless until the 2016 election. 

On 2/28/2023 at 5:55 PM, Spork3245 said:

Hasan Minhag is this week. The one episode under him so far is the best the show has been since Stewart left. Holy F. 

Omg agreed. His style seems closer to Trevor’s than Jon’s. That is Jon tried to play it more like a cross between an anchor and a pundit like Larry King, and Trevor was more like a host of an internet meme show. but Hasan just feels like he’s doing it much better than Trevor. 

19 hours ago, Fizzzzle said:

oh man, that kind of nails it. It also never felt like Trevor nailed down “the outsider looking in” or the somebody on the inside of the American experience. Which is a balancing act somebody like John Oliver has to manage. I think these two things combined is what made Trevor’s run on the Daily Show so off putting to me. 

I've been a huge Colbert fan since his earliest days at the pre-Stewart Daily Show and Strangers With Candy. I still watch his monologue pretty much every day, but yeah... it no longer does it for me. His style of comedy never was a great fit for the mainstream standard "talk show" format intended for a more general audience. You still see his bizarre subversive humor peek through sometimes, but mostly it's all very by the numbers these days. Kinda sad.

I've said it before and I'll just repeat it... but I never liked Trevor Noah all that much. I don't hate him or anything, and if it's on I will watch, but I don't make any sort of effort to watch the Daily Show and haven't since a few months after he took over. He just isn't that smart or that funny. I don't find his insights all that insightful and his delivery feels forced and unnatural. He always felt like a guy who gets handed a script but his heart just wasn't really in it.

All of the "lefty" comedy news shows have kinda grown tiresome to me honestly.

That said, has anyone else ever tried to watch Gutfeld! ?

Holy shit is that some terrible television. I find it fascinating in it complete and total awfulness. I love that his panel is always him and 3 people who you have never heard of. Yes, I'm really super interested to hear what this weight lifter bro has to say about Hunter Bidens laptop.

1 hour ago, ort said:

Agreed. John Oliver is always excellent of course, and I think Seth Meyers' "Closer Look" and "Corrections" segments are pretty funny. But even though I really like Colbert I watch his monologues intermittently as the format of jokes is always the same unfortunately. I used to watch Trevor Noah and Samantha Bee as well but both of their shows got tiresome and predictable after awhile by comparison.

21 hours ago, ort said:

I've been a huge Colbert fan since his earliest days at the pre-Stewart Daily Show and Strangers With Candy. I still watch his monologue pretty much every day, but yeah... it no longer does it for me. His style of comedy never was a great fit for the mainstream standard "talk show" format intended for a more general audience. You still see his bizarre subversive humor peek through sometimes, but mostly it's all very by the numbers these days. Kinda sad.

I've said it before and I'll just repeat it... but I never liked Trevor Noah all that much. I don't hate him or anything, and if it's on I will watch, but I don't make any sort of effort to watch the Daily Show and haven't since a few months after he took over. He just isn't that smart or that funny. I don't find his insights all that insightful and his delivery feels forced and unnatural. He always felt like a guy who gets handed a script but his heart just wasn't really in it.

As mentioned, I’d highly recommend Seth Meyers. His closer look segments are very well written and delivered, try his latest:

I’d also highly recommend Jon Stewart’s podcast which he now does weekly (with some breaks around major holidays). It’s on Apple Podcasts and, I think, Spotify. He also uploads portions (sometimes all) of it to YouTube. He also just started doing live ones on YouTube where he takes calls throughout and at the end:

He also has his show, The Problem, on AppleTV+. S1 was “fine”, but S2 so far has been a HUGE step up - the trans episode alone is a must watch imo.

I’m a bit surprised every time I see people talk about these sorts of shows. They seem like such a relic of the past at this point, but I guess there is still a market for them.

27 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Guys

OMFG
This is the best interview on the show since Stewart left x1000000000000
Holy F. He calls O'Leary out constantly. The 5min version on the show was BS compared to the entire thing.

I watched the show last night so I only saw the BS version as you call it. I can't watch that video because for some reason Comedy Central never makes their videos available to watch in Canada. 

1 hour ago, Brick said:

I watched the show last night so I only saw the BS version as you call it. I can't watch that video because for some reason Comedy Central never makes their videos available to watch in Canada. 

according to people on YouTube you should be using Nord VPN or Express VPN or Surfshark, 

13 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

according to people on YouTube you should be using Nord VPN or Express VPN or Surfshark, 

I remember seeing something that would allow me to watch those kinds of videos, but I can't remember what it was now. Wasn't a subscription or anything, I think just copying and pasting the video URL into somewhere else.

Yeah they’re subscription VPN services. It spoofs your IP address so you appear like you’re in a different country of origin. 

they’re a bit of a lie as they act like you can browse completely anonymously, but they still have all record of your internet traffic and would still be required to comply with any local law enforcement warrants for records. They could also sell the data to data brokers for money. 

and because you’re running your internet basically through an app, you do take a hit to your internet speeds. 

2 hours ago, Brick said:

Will it work if you go to comedy centrals website on their player?

3 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

Guys

OMFG
This is the best interview on the show since Stewart left x1000000000000
Holy F. He calls O'Leary out constantly. The 5min version on the show was BS compared to the entire thing.

I watched it, it was great. 

I do think he could have hammered the point home more towards the end, honestly. 

The point he was making is that people like O'Leary are playing with Monopoly money. O'Leary says "well 80% if investments fail, that's capitalism for you" when it's like YOU CAN AFFORD TO TAKE THE L ON THE 80%, most people can't. So when he goes on TV shilling investment opportunities, it's inherently predatory because he really has no stake in the game.

Like when Hassan calls him out for "losing" 18 million, it's like... Only 1.25 million, by his own admission, was actually his money. The rest he'll never have to pay back.

I don't know... Say it louder for the people in the back.

3 hours ago, sblfilms said:

I’m a bit surprised every time I see people talk about these sorts of shows. They seem like such a relic of the past at this point, but I guess there is still a market for them.

What's the modern replacement?