Trevor Noah to leave the Daily Show

Fizzzzle

It still has its moments but nothing compares to the Stewart years for TDS. As for replacements, Jordan Klepper deserves a 2nd shot of hosting a show and stay true to his views (not like that Info Wars ripoff they had him do) He I think is the closest to getting that Stewart cutting satire/edge again. You also have Sam Bee available with her TBS show being canceled, or her husband Jason Jones. The only other I like on the show a lot is Roy Wood Jr. but I don’t see him wanting to host.  Maybe they’ll find an unknown like what Noah said of himself. 

I didn't really like him right from the start. I gave him a chance, but he was no Jon Stewart... Although Jon Stewart isn't even really Jon Stewart anymore. He was kinda phoning it in those last few years... and has more recently morphed into kind of a Bill Mahar lite...

The Trevor Noah Daily Show was fine, but not good enough to spend 22 minutes a day with. The most precious resource these days is time and attention and he didn't quite rise up to the level of getting either from me.

I'm kinda burned out on all of these lefty funny political shows. I still watch the Colbert monologue most days, but even that is starting to just feel like propaganda to me. I miss how subversive he felt in the good old days. Colbert is way too safe these days.

This is me just posting random thoughts... but I'm old enough to remember not liking Jon Stewart when he took over for Craig Killborn.

Also, fun fact, back when I worked in politics, the daily show came and did a piece on one of the candidates we were working for at the time.* That was pretty fun even though I had no direct interaction with any of the filming. It was pretty surreal seeing them to talk to and about people I actually knew, and show things I had created as a designer... Especially since I watched the show every day.

*Anthony Williams, mayor of DC, who hired a bunch of goofball criminals to get the signatures he needed to run for re-election and was forced to run as a write in candidate. We were on of the firms hired to organize his write-in campaign.

I watched The Daily Show pretty religiously back in the early 2000s but I think I've seen it with Noah approximately twice and both times he was painfully unfunny to me. I've seen him pop up here and there and I've definitely seen him actually be at least mildly funny but overall, not a fan. Then again, I'm not sure I've watched any of these types of shows since The Colbert Report started. 

2 hours ago, ort said:

I didn't really like him right from the start. I gave him a chance, but he was no Jon Stewart... Although Jon Stewart isn't even really Jon Stewart anymore. He was kinda phoning it in those last few years... and has more recently morphed into kind of a Bill Mahar lite...

The Trevor Noah Daily Show was fine, but not good enough to spend 22 minutes a day with. The most precious resource these days is time and attention and he didn't quite rise up to the level of getting either from me.

I'm kinda burned out on all of these lefty funny political shows. I still watch the Colbert monologue most days, but even that is starting to just feel like propaganda to me. I miss how subversive he felt in the good old days. Colbert is way too safe these days.

This is me just posting random thoughts... but I'm old enough to remember not liking Jon Stewart when he took over for Craig Killborn.

Lol I dropped off because of that. Jesus you ssid Craig Killborn how long bas it been.

2 hours ago, ort said:

Colbert's monologues are solid, I've always enjoyed Seth Meyers' A Closer Look segments (and Corrections), those are always pretty funny. 

• Like 1

The writing on Colbert feels lazy to be. Like it's just "so how about those REPUBLICANS, HUH?! AMIRITE?!" all the time. It got really old to me really fast 

The Daily Show can get that way, too, but over the last few years, it really has grown into its own thing again.

And I would agree that Jon Stewart has grown into another Bill Maher to a degree. Though not nearly as bad. Bill Maher is still an insufferable douche. 

Trevor Noah is none of those things. My favorite segments to watch are the "between the scenes" segments where he's just talking to the audience and you can see how generally eloquent and thoughtful he is.

I hope the Daily Show picks someone else again that no one has heard of and starts fresh.

• Halal 1

Strong disagree on the Stewart Maher comparisons. I cannot begin to fathom where that comparison is coming from outside of hyperbole from when Stewart suggested that maybe a coronavirus was mishandled at a coronavirus research lab in the province COVID-19 came from. I watch his new show and listen to his podcast; Stewart is still very much Stewart. He welcomes discussion and gets corrected by his guests and accepts it; Maher can’t handle being wrong, Maher thinks “the woke left” is as big of a threat as the extreme-right, and thinks COVID can be beaten by eating more vegetables. Stewart also calls “bullshit” when a guest says absolute nonsense, whereas Maher doesn’t engage or agrees half the time when he has these chodes on his show (Stewart basically told Andrew Sullivan to stfu on The Problem’s racism episode, and continuously called him out).

In regards to Noah: his TDS, which I watched almost every episode of, was just mostly mediocre, IMO. I think Ronnie Chang is his best correspondent, by a lot… outside of Klepper when he goes to Trump rallies - Roy Wood and the rest tend to be one-note jokes, and I truly hope CC doesn’t feel obligated to use one of them as the new host. Trevor has his moments but, ultimately, the show just never even reached the lows of Stewart’s TDS, let alone the highs, IMO.
Outside of Oliver, Seth Meyer’s show has by and far been the closest “replacement” for Jon’s TDS. I enjoyed Sam Bee’s show but it was much too infrequent and didn’t have the “focus and energy” that Oliver does on his once/week show (nor the amount of yearly episodes). I’d argue that CC’s best options, if they’re planning on continuing the TDS, is to find someone completely new, ask Sam Bee again (she was their first pick to replace Jon, but she said “hell no”, likely because she knew that it was a lose-lose to try and replace Stewart), or try Klepper as a host again (I think he prefers his on-site documentary style things, though; he said as much when he discontinued his own show). 

15 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Strong disagree on the Stewart Maher comparisons. I cannot begin to fathom where that comparison is coming from outside of hyperbole from when Stewart suggested that maybe a coronavirus was mishandled at a coronavirus research lab in the province COVID-19 came from. I watch  his new show and listen to his podcast; Stewart is still very much Stewart. He welcomes discussion and gets corrected by his guests and accepts it; Maher can’t handle being wrong, Maher thinks “the woke left” is as big of a threat as the extreme-right, and thinks COVID can be beaten by eating more vegetables.

On the contrary, I actually agreed with Stewart when he was on his "maaaybe COVID came from a lab in Wuhan" tangent because, like... maybe it did? It's not racist or xenophobic to assume that's a possibility.

It's more of his general attitude and generally always assuming he's right. Smugness, if you will. I don't actually disagree with him on a lot of things.

Maher is a completely different animal. That's why I said I see it to a degree. Maher is so far up his own ass trying to be contrarian that he's kind of actually become a conservative talking head. He's devil's advocated himself into actually kind of fitting on a Fox News segment.

3 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

It's more of his general attitude and generally always assuming he's right.

His podcast is filled with good faith discussion where he asks genuine questions, gets corrected, and is happy to be wrong and learn. Just like when he’d have high profile guests on TDS. 90% of the time he preempts statements with “I’m an idiot and have no idea what I’m talking about”. So, I definitely don’t get or agree with that assessment either. The times when he’s “smug” tends to be when he’s calling out senators on things like the PACT act.

• 2 months later...
3 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Tonight is his last episode, but still no confirmation on who will be replacing him. From what I could find is that the show comes back Jan 17th with a "rotating set of hosts". :notsure:

I think that’s what they did when Jon left. It does make me curious as to if they have someone potentially lined up and they just didn’t want to take away from Noah’s spotlight, or if they’re really still figuring it out. 

2 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

No. It went right to Trevor, and he was announced long before Stewart's last episode. Same with Kilborn to Stewart

You’re right. Stewart announced his retirement in February of 2015, Noah was announced in March, and Stewart didn’t leave until August.

What I believe I was thinking of is that Noah’s first show wasn’t until September. I think there was a month of shows in there with rotating hosts until Noah took over.

So, comparing the timelines here, it took about a month from Jon’s announcement to Noah being announced, and then Jon still hosted the show for another 6 months. It’s now been two months since Noah announced he’s leaving and still no word. 

6 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

You’re right. Stewart announced his retirement in February of 2015, Noah was announced in March, and Stewart didn’t leave until August.

What I believe I was thinking of is that Noah’s first show wasn’t until September. I think there was a month of shows in there with rotating hosts until Noah took over.

So, comparing the timelines here, it took about a month from Jon’s announcement to Noah being announced, and then Jon still hosted the show for another 6 months. It’s now been two months since Noah announced he’s leaving and still no word. 

A gap was needed/expected between the last episode to the new host, but not having a host is unexpected and weird, no matter how you slice it, IMO. I don't think comparing the timeline of a monolith like Stewart retiring is a fair comparison. Stewart also chose his replacement, and eventually got to Noah after Sam Bee and others declined.

22 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

I thought it was mostly John Oliver doing that, but I may be mistaken since it’s been a while.

It was just Oliver. There were times when Jon was sick that others took over, like Oliver, Aasif Mandvi, Jason Jones, Sam Bee, etc, but Oliver did the entirety of the run when Stewart was in the Middle East directing/filming that movie. 

5 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

Samantha Bee posted on her Facebook page that she has a "big announcement next week", very likely could be unrelated. I also heard they're trying to get Amber Ruffin to leave Peacock/NBC to host TDS. 

I’d take Amber Ruffin, but the Sam Bee timing is intriguing. Would love to see it be different, make it co-anchored by Sam and her husband Jason Jones. 

• Halal 1

15 hours ago, silentbob said:

I’d take Amber Ruffin, but the Sam Bee timing is intriguing. Would love to see it be different, make it co-anchored by Sam and her husband Jason Jones. 

Jason Jones was my favorite “field correspondent” by a lot, so I’d love a co-hosted one with Sam and him (or even if he’s just a correspondent with Sam as the host). I love Amber too, though, she’s one of my favorites on Seth Meyers (her show is decent, but I don’t watch it regularly).

I just kinda really hate the thought of it being Roy Wood who’s also in the running; he’s just not that funny IMO.

• Shocked 1

On 12/9/2022 at 12:46 PM, silentbob said:

Roy Wood Jr is amazing and I’m surprised you don’t like them much. His stand up Father Figure is real good and worth a watch/listen. Just don’t see him wanting the spot

His stand up is fine, his role as a correspondent has been “meh”. Chang is the best one on there (not counting Klepper’s maga rally bits).

2 hours ago, silentbob said:

Klepper I would have given the spot too. His old show wasn’t meant for him and TDS is. (Love his MAGA specials) Funny thing is that I don’t like Chang that much 

I think I just like Chang because people were criticizing his accent as being stereotypical and he went “THIS IS LITERALLY HOW I TALK. ARE YOU FRIGGEN KIDDING, ME????” :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Hugs 1

10 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

I think I might just be… over this style of comedy? Noah developed his own style and I like his interviews and perspective, but the “man on the ground reporter calling out people on their hypocrisy” feels like I’ve heard the same joke for decades now. I dunno.

Yeah, I guess the bread and butter "joke" of TDS is that people have really stupid beliefs, and I imagine that being told this over and over and over again kind of loses its appeal as you get older because... you're all too aware. :p 

• 4 weeks later...