No more free rides: Paid Switch Online service launches on Sept. 18

Jason

My 5 year old has broken our Switch for the second time, and reading online, it's going to cost me about $100 to get it fixed.

He mangled the connectors inside the USB-C port by yanking it out of chargers too hard. We've also had all of the connections to our Joycons come loose twice now. Already been sent in for that problem and now both joycon connectors are loose AGAIN... That's covered by warranty fortunately. I guess I just need to bite the bullet and get it fixed, but the whole situation pisses me off.

It seems to me like Nintendo did a total crap job of making a console that is able to be used daily by their core audience of children. It's a fragile and fiddly piece of shit in my opinion.

I'd like to shove it up Reggie's ass. Tired of dealing with sending it back. Tired of my kids breaking everything. TIRED.

Tired.

1 hour ago, ort said:

My 5 year old has broken our Switch for the second time, and reading online, it's going to cost me about $100 to get it fixed.

He mangled the connectors inside the USB-C port by yanking it out of chargers too hard. We've also had all of the connections to our Joycons come loose twice now. Already been sent in for that problem and now both joycon connectors are loose AGAIN... That's covered by warranty fortunately. I guess I just need to bite the bullet and get it fixed, but the whole situation pisses me off.

It seems to me like Nintendo did a total crap job of making a console that is able to be used daily by their core audience of children. It's a fragile and fiddly piece of shit in my opinion.

I'd like to shove it up Reggie's ass. Tired of dealing with sending it back. Tired of my kids breaking everything. TIRED.

Tired.

Sorry man. But the Switch isn’t for kids I don’t care what Nintendo tries to tell you. 

3 hours ago, ort said:

Tired.

My three kids haven’t broken any of our switches, and my youngest was 5 when the Switch came out. I don’t think it’s the switch that is the problem here :p

24 minutes ago, Biggie said:

No. You can let your kids play with a Switch but I wouldn’t call a handheld/console that cost $300 a child’s toy. 

This is absurd. I’m not calling it a child’s toy. It’s a video game console that costs $300, same as an NES, SNES, 64, cube, Wii, whatever the fuck (minor cost differences aside). 

If you didn’t let your kids play with those, at least you’re consistent. But it’s just as much for kids as it is adults. I was over at some friends’ house last weekend and their 7 year old played Fortnite all night and the Switch wasn’t crumbled into bits by the end.

If you don’t trust your kids with it, maybe that’s not their fault... 

My son regularly plays the Switch and he is Five. That said, we've had a few near missed for sure! The big difference with the Switch vs the NES is, of course, its portability. People (I hope?) where not having their children cart the NES around the house. The Switch's portability causes a whole new level of risk that didn't exist with stationary systems. Yes, the Switch can of course be docked for child use, but kids some times don't always do what they are told. Shocking, I know! :p

6 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

This is absurd. I’m not calling it a child’s toy. It’s a video game console that costs $300, same as an NES, SNES, 64, cube, Wii, whatever the fuck (minor cost differences aside). 

If you didn’t let your kids play with those, at least you’re consistent. But it’s just as much for kids as it is adults. I was over at some friends’ house last weekend and their 7 year old played Fortnite all night and the Switch wasn’t crumbled into bits by the end.

If you don’t trust your kids with it, maybe that’s not their fault... 

1 minute ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

My son regularly plays the Switch and he is Five. That said, we've had a few near missed for sure! The big difference with the Switch vs the NES is, of course, its portability. People (I hope?) where not having their children cart the NES around the house. The Switch's portability causes a whole new level of risk that didn't exist with stationary systems. Yes, the Switch can of course be docked for child use, but kids some times don't always do what they are told. Shocking, I know! :p

I was about to say that screen is what makes the Switch fragile. Yes the Wii had a so called screen but nothing like the Switch. 

8 minutes ago, Biggie said:

I was about to say that screen is what makes the Switch fragile. Yes the Wii had a so called screen but nothing like the Switch. 

There is something to the extremely fragile screen (hell, my wife scratched mine in the first month lol). But kids are perfectly capable of handling it, and it’s a good learning experience if they break it.

20 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

The 3DS and 2DS are tanks, unbreakable practicably and great for kids! Also, a lot less hentai games on the 3DS.

https://ec.nintendo.com/JP/ja/titles/70010000008546

4 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

There is something to the extremely fragile screen (hell, my wife scratched mine in the first month lol). But kids are perfectly capable of handling it, and it’s a good learning experience if they break it.

Good thing I don’t have any kids. ?