No more free rides: Paid Switch Online service launches on Sept. 18

Jason

Users can ease in to the transition with a seven-day free trial.

The paid subscription service, which was originally slated to launch in the fall of 2017, replaces the current free online gameplay trial that has been available to all Switch owners since last year. After September 18, users will get an additional seven-day trial of the paid service to ease the transition into the new subscription.

Following that, though, Switch users will have to pay the previously revealed prices of $4 a month or $20 a year for online play in games including Splatoon 2, Arms, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Mario Tennis Aces, and Sushi Striker: The Way of Sushido. Some other Switch titles, including free-to-play games, will be playable online without a subscription, and Nintendo has promised more details will be revealed in a Nintendo Direct presentation tomorrow.

Switch Online subscribers will also get access to additional features, including a library of 20 downloadable emulated NES titles that each come with additional Switch-enabled online features (that library is set to grow in the future). Subscribers also get access to cloud-based save-file backups for most (but not all) Switch games.

I'm actually not buying this, at least not yet.  I don't really play Switch online.  It's my single player console.  My RPG console.  I love my switch, but I just don't need online services for it.  Even the multiplayer games like Kart and Tennis I almost exclusively play offline local multiplayer.

• Guillotine 1

Just now, Slug said:

I'm actually not buying this, at least not yet.  I don't really play Switch online.  It's my single player console.  My RPG console.  I love my switch, but I just don't need online services for it.  Even the multiplayer games like Kart and Tennis I almost exclusively play offline local multiplayer.

I'm the exact same. I can't really complain about price, I just don't go online with the system.

Gamers do seem to be the one subset of consumer that openly welcomes extra charges for basic features that already exist. Generally people tend to resist paying extra for something they already have, but gamers consider it some kind of sacred mission to justify new costs for some reason. I can understand indifference, but what the hell is the point of defending new fees?

1 hour ago, Xbob42 said:

Gamers do seem to be the one subset of consumer that openly welcomes extra charges for basic features that already exist. Generally people tend to resist paying extra for something they already have, but gamers consider it some kind of sacred mission to justify new costs for some reason. I can understand indifference, but what the hell is the point of defending new fees?

It’s not that we are welcoming them but we’re not going to lose our fucking minds over $20. Nintendo has offered online for free for years with their systems. It’s not a big deal. 

2 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Hyperbole is clearly beyond you. 

"you can afford thing you spend that every day on shit"

"OH I didn't actually mean that literally!"

2 minutes ago, Biggie said:

You’re eating a Big Mac right now aren’t you. 

I don't like Big Macs. I am not a huge burger guy. I don't even like cheeseburgers.