Why Ninja Theory has joined Microsoft Studios

TomCat

This is the one that has me so excited about the future of xbox.  Whats important is that M$ gave them complete creative freedom  so they wont be like bungie Stuck just making halo.   I'm also very interested in what the Initiative will bring to the table  But ninja theory should create some great stuff now that they have full financial backing

• Thanks 1

I didn't think Hellblade was fun, and I had some minor gripes with the story, but it is a game that has made me very optimistic about the future of gaming as an artistic medium. The game was thoughtful, and I am excited to see what they can do with greater resources. For me, Hellblade takes a seat at the too-small table of action games where the gameplay and story complement rather than contradict each other. Spec-ops is probably the only other great example I can think of.

They are one of my favorite devs, but I'm essentially done with Microsoft, especially if they try to turn consoles into regular upgrade cycles like phones, so I won't be playing anything Ninja Theory puts out going forward. Pretty big bummer of news for me.

33 minutes ago, Wild said:

They are one of my favorite devs, but I'm essentially done with Microsoft, especially if they try to turn consoles into regular upgrade cycles like phones, so I won't be playing anything Ninja Theory puts out going forward. Pretty big bummer of news for me.

you do know you dont have to upgrade if you dont want to. the games will still work no matter which ver of xbox 1 you have.  It'll be years before you are forced to upgrade

On 6/24/2018 at 11:35 PM, Moa said:

I didn't think Hellblade was fun, and I had some minor gripes with the story, but it is a game that has made me very optimistic about the future of gaming as an artistic medium. The game was thoughtful, and I am excited to see what they can do with greater resources. For me, Hellblade takes a seat at the too-small table of action games where the gameplay and story complement rather than contradict each other. Spec-ops is probably the only other great example I can think of.

Spec Ops: The Line was an absolutely phenomenal game - I have to give it a shout out, as not enough people played that wonderful game.

1 hour ago, Man_of_X said:

I've enjoyed all of their games, from Heavenly Sword to Enslaved to Hellblade.  Fantastic job with facial capture and characters that emote.

Agreed. I'm not sure why everyone forgets they also did the Devil Mary Cry reboot, DmC though. That game, especially the remastered version, was just as legit as Heavenly Sword, Enslaved: Odyssey to the West, and Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice. 

3 hours ago, TomCat said:

you do know you dont have to upgrade if you dont want to. the games will still work no matter which ver of xbox 1 you have.  It'll be years before you are forced to upgrade

I think with the launch of the next system MS is going to try the stepped upgrade approach, and until I see otherwise no way I buy in to their ecosystem. All I have ever seen them promise is full backwards compatibility, not that they won't start cutting off games every couple year in the near future. I have no interest in a rolling upgrades system where my console is only playing the best games for a couple years before another one comes out, and is then obsolete or starts not being able to play some games after 3 or 4 years.

I don't love the PS4 Pro existing either, but there is feature parity beyond the visuals so that's more forgivable. Sony has committed to console generations. MS doesn't seem to have the same plan. If everything starts feeling like the PC where i have to check the compatibility of a game to see if it runs on what I already own I'm probably out for good.

9 minutes ago, Wild said:

I think with the launch of the next system MS is going to try the stepped upgrade approach, and until I see otherwise no way I buy in to their ecosystem. All I have ever seen them promise is full backwards compatibility, not that they won't start cutting off games every couple year in the near future. I have no interest in a rolling upgrades system where my console is only playing the best games for a couple years before another one comes out, and is then obsolete or starts not being able to play some games after 3 or 4 years.

I don't love the PS4 Pro existing either, but there is feature parity beyond the visuals so that's more forgivable. Sony has committed to console generations. MS doesn't seem to have the same plan. If everything starts feeling like the PC where i have to check the compatibility of a game to see if it runs on what I already own I'm probably out for good.

Wow.  Where are you getting any of this.  MS has been far better than Sony with backwards compatibility.  Every XB1 plays every XB1 game.  No one needs the X unless you want upgraded visuals.  Any FUD's you have are in your head.  There has been no evidence MS is pushing anything like what you are suggesting.  Hell all the first party games you buy - you automatically can play them on your PC as well.  Cross play enabled for PC and now even Switch.  I don't get your post at all.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, number305 said:

Wow.  Where are you getting any of this.  MS has been far better than Sony with backwards compatibility.  Every XB1 plays every XB1 game.  No one needs the X unless you want upgraded visuals.  Any FUD's you have are in your head.  There has been no evidence MS is pushing anything like what you are suggesting.  Hell all the first party games you buy - you automatically can play them on your PC as well.  Cross play enabled for PC and now even Switch.  I don't get your post at all.

Youre not understanding me. I don't mean that games I buy today won't be playable in the future. I mean that in the future every couple years Microsoft will release a new "xbox" and then some games will only work on that system but not the previous ones. They'll drop the numeral naming system and just have a simple platform, where you are constantly rolling through updates and then left behind every three or four years in shortened cycles, or given less features and graphics. Think of it like a cell phone, not a console at that point.

Where as Sony intends to keep making PS4, then the PS5, then PS6, like a traditional console plan. Does that make sense? Microsoft has never said that the Xbox One X will never play games that the Xbox One can't, only that the X will always be able to play Xbox One games. So there could conceivably be a time when games launch for Xbox One X (and the newer system) only, leaving the XBox One behind. This would start a series rolling updates closer to a phone or a PC. And that's not a hamster wheel I want on. Get my drift?

17 minutes ago, Wild said:

Youre not understanding me. I don't mean that games I buy today won't be playable in the future. I mean that in the future every couple years Microsoft will release a new "xbox" and then some games will only work on that system but not the previous ones. They'll drop the numeral naming system and just have a simple platform, where you are constantly rolling through updates and then left behind every three or four years in shortened cycles, or given less features and graphics. Think of it like a cell phone, not a console at that point.

He's not misunderstanding you, you're just literally making shit up and passing it off as gospel. Where the fuck did you read ANY of this? Please provide sources.

16 hours ago, Wild said:

Where as Sony intends to keep making PS4, then the PS5, then PS6, like a traditional console plan. Does that make sense? Microsoft has never said that the Xbox One X will never play games that the Xbox One can't, only that the X will always be able to play Xbox One games. So there could conceivably be a time when games launch for Xbox One X (and the newer system) only, leaving the XBox One behind. This would start a series rolling updates closer to a phone or a PC. And that's not a hamster wheel I want on. Get my drift?

Like @Xbob42 said I'm not sure where you are getting this.

However I think that for both Sony and MS (who knows with Nintendo) there will only be one more generation anyway.  Sony, EA, and MS have all already talked about streaming services being the future.  After the next generation in like a decade from now there will just be some low power computer connected to or integrated into your screen that you will play games streamed from the internet.  It is already possible now, and in a decade it will work well.

21 hours ago, Wild said:

you really are making stuff up. where did you get this so called info. MS policy has always been that any game that works on the 1X MUST ALSO WORK ON THE REGULAR XBOX1.  MS is the only one that has a policy to make your old games work on thier new systems but not only do they work they are upgraded for FREE  while on Sonys system for those same features they want you to buy a remastered  version.  

So Ya we are not understanding you cause you are coming from a place that it TOTALLY not true

Microsoft Chief says future games could run exclusively on 4k console

Another link because Telegraph.uk is lame

I do want to point out that the article starts with "Currently, Microsoft says all Xbox One X games will be capable of running on the current Xbox One S and Xbox One consoles too."

So this is just plans for the future, the Xbox One could just be phased out as its technology gets more and more dated.

8 hours ago, number305 said:

Like @Xbob42 said I'm not sure where you are getting this.

However I think that for both Sony and MS (who knows with Nintendo) there will only be one more generation anyway.  Sony, EA, and MS have all already talked about streaming services being the future.  After the next generation in like a decade from now there will just be some low power computer connected to or integrated into your screen that you will play games streamed from the internet.  It is already possible now, and in a decade it will work well.

Phil already said you'd still have the option of playing locally especially where games would suffer from latency.